RajanSRana
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello all,
I am an A-Level student who has applied to 5 universities using UCAS. Unfortunately, I was rejected from all 5 choices for computer science at Warwick, Durham etc. I am trying UCAS Extra and will try clearing if I have to.
I have the predicted grades of A* A* A (Including A* maths) and also got those in my mocks and so may have an alright chance as getting those as my real results due to exam cancellations.
I am unsure of what to do if I cannot gain a place at a good university as that is slowly becoming a reality.
I am unsure if a gap year is a good idea since my parents are against it.
Another option could be to go to any university for any course and just reapply whilst in university. But I could end up stuck at a university I am really unhappy at doing a course I hate.
I am open to all ideas and suggestions
Many thanks,
Rajan Rana
x_jungshook
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hey,
Have you tried University of Birmingham?
That’s a high level university and I don’t think their computer science classes are full for next year yet.
I do medicine and advanced biology here and really recommend it!
I Would try as many other universities as I possibly could... chances are you’d like it!

You could also try finding a course which isn’t quite computing but something very similar!

Good luck!!
RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RajanSRana)
I am an A-Level student who has applied to 5 universities using UCAS. Unfortunately, I was rejected from all 5 choices for computer science at Warwick, Durham etc. I am trying UCAS Extra and will try clearing if I have to.
I have the predicted grades of A* A* A (Including A* maths) and also got those in my mocks and so may have an alright chance as getting those as my real results due to exam cancellations.
I am unsure of what to do if I cannot gain a place at a good university as that is slowly becoming a reality.
Another option could be to go to any university for any course and just reapply whilst in university. But I could end up stuck at a university I am really unhappy at doing a course I hate.
Many thanks,
Rajan Rana
I'd go for a gap year. You are (or will be) an adult - it's your choice. Just make sure that you make good use of the time.

What were your five choices? Did they include Oxford? What was the lowest standard offer of the places that you applied to? Have you asked for feedback?
RajanSRana
Rep:
?
(Original post by x_jungshook)
Hey,
Have you tried University of Birmingham?
That’s a high level university and I don’t think their computer science classes are full for next year yet.
I do medicine and advanced biology here and really recommend it!
I Would try as many other universities as I possibly could... chances are you’d like it!

You could also try finding a course which isn’t quite computing but something very similar!

Good luck!!
Thanks for the advice and I might consider them. I would really want to stick with computing since otherwise I would likely do terribly as I would not be interested in any other course and so not do well.
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello all,
Many thanks,
Rajan Rana
Where have you applied. Are you an EU student looking to study in Scotland. It is very unusual for you be rejected with your predicted grades outside of places like Oxbridge and Imperial, There are many really good universities who are likely to accept you with those grades. Try looking into Exeter, Bristol, Bath, Southampton, Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, York, Nottingham, Bristol, Manchester, Lancaster and there may be others.
x_jungshook
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks for the advice and I might consider them. I would really want to stick with computing since otherwise I would likely do terribly as I would not be interested in any other course and so not do well.
It’s up to you!!
Hope it all goes down well!!
RajanSRana
Rep:
?
(Original post by RogerOxon)
I'd go for a gap year. You are (or will be) an adult - it's your choice. Just make sure that you make good use of the time.

What were your five choices? Did they include Oxford? What was the lowest standard offer of the places that you applied to? Have you asked for feedback?
I applied to Cambridge, Durham, Warwick, Imperial and St Andrew's. Lowest standard offer was AAA and others were A* AA or A*A*A. I did ask for feedback but it was vague and just mentioned high competition.
RajanSRana
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Where have you applied. Are you an EU student looking to study in Scotland. It is very unusual for you be rejected with your predicted grades outside of places like Oxbridge and Imperial, There are many really good universities who are likely to accept you with those grades. Try looking into Exeter, Bristol, Bath, Southampton, Birmingham, Leeds, Sheffield, York, Nottingham, Bristol, Manchester, Lancaster and there may be others.
I applied to St Andrew's and counted as an EU student. Some people say it was my personal statement but I am not sure if it is solely that. I have emailed Leeds about Extra.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I applied to St Andrew's and counted as an EU student. Some people say it was my personal statement but I am not sure if it is solely that. I have emailed Leeds about Extra.
i'd expect you to get an offer at most RG unis.
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm surprised you got rejected from Warwick & Durham with those predicted grades, unless maybe they seemed a bit inflated based on prior achievement (GCSES or equivalent).

Anyway, UCAS Extra is your best bet as others have said and I would definitely expect you to get an offer this cycle. One tip with Extra is to phone them if they don't reply to your email promptly - it speeds things up since you can only apply to one uni at a time.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I wouldnt read too much into St Andrews. Scottish universities use a cap to limit the number of EC students due to its no fee policy and very few get in. Like harrysbar I am bit surprised at some of your rejections unless they dont see your figures as believable for some reason but I think you will get offers from really good universities in extra which in your circumstances would be the option I would take this year due to the uncertainty about what will happen with adjustment and I certainly wouldnt look at delaying as it is highly likely you will be subject to international fees in future years.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Given that you have applied to small cities in Durham and St Andrews I would probably look into Bath or Exeter as these are similar smallish cities rather than the very large cities like Leeds, Manchester or Birmingham. That is something for you to decide upon though. If you feel you will be happy in a bigger city ignore this advice,
RajanSRana
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
I'm surprised you got rejected from Warwick & Durham with those predicted grades, unless maybe they seemed a bit inflated based on prior achievement (GCSES or equivalent).

Anyway, UCAS Extra is your best bet as others have said and I would definitely expect you to get an offer this cycle. One tip with Extra is to phone them if they don't reply to your email promptly - it speeds things up since you can only apply to one uni at a time.
I achieved A* A* A in my mocks so personally I do not think they are inflated (hopefully). Thanks for the advice about phoning them
RajanSRana
Rep:
?
I wouldnt read too much into St Andrews. Scottish universities use a cap to limit the number of EC students due to its no fee policy and very few get in. Like harrysbar I am bit surprised at some of your rejections unless they dont see your figures as believable for some reason but I think you will get offers from really good universities in extra which in your circumstances would be the option I would take this year due to the uncertainty about what will happen with adjustment and I certainly wouldnt look at delaying as it is highly likely you will be subject to international fees in future years.
I am from and live in the UK so international fees will not apply to me I think. I counted as an EU student since I am also a Czech citizen. I am trying Extra so fingers crossed
RajanSRana
Rep:
?
Given that you have applied to small cities in Durham and St Andrews I would probably look into Bath or Exeter as these are similar smallish cities rather than the very large cities like Leeds, Manchester or Birmingham. That is something for you to decide upon though. If you feel you will be happy in a bigger city ignore this advice,
I have sent emails to Leeds and Bath, waiting for a reply. I am indifferent to where I study, would just like to go to a good university aha
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I achieved A* A* A in my mocks so personally I do not think they are inflated (hopefully). Thanks for the advice about phoning them
I'm not saying they are inflated just that the unis might have thought they seemed inflated if your previously achieved grades did not appear to back up such high predictions. Now you have said you are living in the UK and presumably did take GCSEs, so you will know if your GCSE results were also in the A*/A range
DoNotMove
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I applied to Cambridge, Durham, Warwick, Imperial and St Andrew's. Lowest standard offer was AAA and others were A* AA or A*A*A. I did ask for feedback but it was vague and just mentioned high competition.
With those grades you'd probably get into Bristol if they still have places. You probably should've applied to a slightly lower grade requirement uni as those 5 unis are right up there. I personally applied to Oxford, Imperial, UCL and Bristol with predicted A*A*A* and only got into Bristol so it's all very tricky.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Following on from Harrysbar's commenced what subjects and grades did you achieve at GCSE. I wonder could that be the reason you have had rejections.
RajanSRana
Rep:
?
Following on from Harrysbar's commenced what subjects and grades did you achieve at GCSE. I wonder could that be the reason you have had rejections.
Perhaps though I am unsure. I achieved 99988877776 in GCSE for reference. I think maybe it was my A-Level in Business.
RajanSRana
Rep:
?
(Original post by DoNotMove)
With those grades you'd probably get into Bristol if they still have places. You probably should've applied to a slightly lower grade requirement uni as those 5 unis are right up there. I personally applied to Oxford, Imperial, UCL and Bristol with predicted A*A*A* and only got into Bristol so it's all very tricky.
I agree a backup would have been a good choice in retrospect.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (91)
52.3%
No, they should still go ahead (34)
19.54%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (49)
28.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed