Student Finance: how many years are you entitled too?

Watch
pw27
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I was just wondering how many years student finance are you entitled too?

I finished a HND course in 2017 in art and design and have recently decided I would like to finish my degree. The course I want to go onto is illustration and design but I am having to start at year 1 rather than 2 or 3 like I was told I could when I finished my HND. Would student finance still pay for my course? I have also used it for another year course in 2018 within make up so would I have enough left to cover my degree?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by pw27)
I was just wondering how many years student finance are you entitled too?

I finished a HND course in 2017 in art and design and have recently decided I would like to finish my degree. The course I want to go onto is illustration and design but I am having to start at year 1 rather than 2 or 3 like I was told I could when I finished my HND. Would student finance still pay for my course? I have also used it for another year course in 2018 within make up so would I have enough left to cover my degree?
Afraid not.
You get student finance for the length of one degree + 1 gift year. This has a status of degree+1.

1. Using the HND counts as 2 years- so you go from degree+1 to degree -1.
2. You then say you used another year in 2018 for what I assume was a higher education course of level 4 or above?
That would take you from degree-1 to degree -2. This means if your current status is degree-2 then SFE will only pay fees from 3rd year onwards.
They will pay maintenance from year 1.
3. Student finance is really only designed for you to do one degree and not multiple qualifications.
4. You could look at other courses or consider doing a masters.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (244)
33.84%
No (477)
66.16%

Watched Threads