Jassie03
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm a first year A level student and was wondering if it is a given that we are going to fall behind or are we expected to keep up to pace? Are the grade boundaries going to be lowered for A-levels (2021)? Also how long are you guys studying? I have no idea how long other people are revising -.-

I'm currently doing 6 hours of studying per day, 7 days per week so I should be fine.
allstoriesrtrue
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi, as a Y13 I can’t really answer the latter parts of your question but I would say that 6 hours should be solid! Remember it’s quality over quantity and give yourself opportunities to relax. The grade boundaries are almost undoubtedly going to reflect all the disruption the last two years so I certainly wouldn’t panic about your exams at the moment. In some ways, this could be positive for you as lots of people won’t continue with the work (it’ll sort the wheat from the chafe so to speak).

On a personal note, I studied English Lit, History and Psych so if you’re taking any of those feel free to pm with questions (I used to tutor) as I’m happy to help. All the luck! Xx
liaente
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Jassie03)
I'm a first year A level student and was wondering if it is a given that we are going to fall behind or are we expected to keep up to pace? Are the grade boundaries going to be lowered for A-levels (2021)? Also how long are you guys studying? I have no idea how long other people are revising -.-

I'm currently doing 6 hours of studying per day, 7 days per week so I should be fine.
Don't you have online lessons? I'm taking them and it's so stressful how much work they're giving. I don't even have time to revise bc they're pushing in new content.
Jassie03
Rep:
?
(Original post by allstoriesrtrue)
Hi, as a Y13 I can’t really answer the latter parts of your question but I would say that 6 hours should be solid! Remember it’s quality over quantity and give yourself opportunities to relax. The grade boundaries are almost undoubtedly going to reflect all the disruption the last two years so I certainly wouldn’t panic about your exams at the moment. In some ways, this could be positive for you as lots of people won’t continue with the work (it’ll sort the wheat from the chafe so to speak).

On a personal note, I studied English Lit, History and Psych so if you’re taking any of those feel free to pm with questions (I used to tutor) as I’m happy to help. All the luck! Xx
Hi I hope it’ll give me a slight advantage but I’ll have to see. I also start at 5AM so I can avoid my family distracting me the rest of the day.

I take biology, chemistry maths and further maths but thanks for the offer !
Jassie03
Rep:
?
(Original post by liaente)
Don't you have online lessons? I'm taking them and it's so stressful how much work they're giving. I don't even have time to revise bc they're pushing in new content.
I don’t feel like online lessons are helping at all ( even tho I only have two lessons per week now in total). I haven’t been given much work to do however it’s really stressful having to teach myself so much biology and the further maths is really hard to self teach but I’m doing my best, you should too!

I use this app that gives me goals for how much of each subject I should study per day ( set up to my own preferences, like what are my priorities etc).

Here’s a link
SQA My Study Plan by Scottish Qualifications Authority https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/sqa-my...an/id419308081

This saved my GCSEs and it’s saving my a levels atm
liaente
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I don’t feel like online lessons are helping at all ( even tho I only have two lessons per week now in total). I haven’t been given much work to do however it’s really stressful having to teach myself so much biology and the further maths is really hard to self teach but I’m doing my best, you should too!

I use this app that gives me goals for how much of each subject I should study per day ( set up to my own preferences, like what are my priorities etc).

Here’s a link
SQA My Study Plan by Scottish Qualifications Authority https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/sqa-my...an/id419308081

I understand how worrying this is. Even though I have many lessons, they're rushing through everything and I can't understand a thing they're 'teaching'.
Thank you very much for recommending this app <3 I hope you're doing well.
Sabav
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

Here’s a link

This app seems amazing. Too bad it’s only for Scottish qualifications.
PetitePanda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Oh god my revision gone down I really need a structure. I want to revise 8 hours to make up for my school revision but its not happening and I just dont understand physics. Your work ethic sounds amazing btw
Last edited by PetitePanda; 6 days ago
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Sabav)
This app seems amazing. Too bad it’s only for Scottish qualifications.
There's an app that's similar to this and it has a lot of examboards for a lot of qualifications called adapt - I honestly love it so much
That_Guy_Omzz
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hey guys! I am in Year 13 studying Maths, Chemistry and Physics. Luckily I am predicted A*A*A and holding offers to study either at Durham or St. Andrews (haven't decided yet) this September - if you have any questions ask away.
Sabav
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by PetitePanda)
There's an app that's similar to this and it has a lot of examboards for a lot of qualifications called adapt - I honestly love it so much
I love adapt and I enjoy using it. My only problem is that let’s say for chemistry, the titles of subchapters in the book is different to the textbook which is slightly annoying but overall it’s really good
Sabav
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by That_Guy_Omzz)
Hey guys! I am in Year 13 studying Maths, Chemistry and Physics. Luckily I am predicted A*A*A and holding offers to study either at Durham or St. Andrews (haven't decided yet) this September - if you have any questions ask away.
What did you apply for?
And any tips for physics and chem?
wishiwerenthere
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

do papers, mark papers using mark scheme and examiner reports. keep up the pace, it's impressive and you dont want to fall into the trap of relaxation if you take a while to get back into the swing of theings
ROTTINHELL
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

why don't you google it?
5hyl33n
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by That_Guy_Omzz)
Nothing to do with studying, but how much emphasis did your universities put on GCSE’s compared to other parts of the application (A-Levels, extra-curricular)?

Also, congratulations on the offers! Which course did you apply for?
Last edited by 5hyl33n; 6 days ago
That_Guy_Omzz
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Sabav)
What did you apply for?
And any tips for physics and chem?
Bsc Maths and Economics.

Anyways now everyone has their own method of revising, however, for both subjects I would advise you to read and understand the content using a good textbook and use the specification to highlight and memorise key definitions. Then do all the questions in your given textbook. After completing all the questions in the textbook, you can then go on the website: physicsandmathstutor.com to do past questions for both subjects. Finally, just as revision for the topics you have covered, in the following weeks go on the website: https://isaacphysics.org and do more questions! Specifically the Level 1 and 2 questions on isaac physics just to consolidate the content. (Doing questions is VERY important for the top grades)
A key tip which I wish I had known earlier is cover the content at home before you enter the classroom, therefore, you will not be learning anything new and it will all be easy peasy. (You'd be suprised by what wonders 15 minutes reading on the bus can do)
And remember CONSISTENCY IS KEY.
That_Guy_Omzz
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by 5hyl33n)
Nothing to do with studying, but how much emphasis did your universities put on GCSE’s compared to other parts of the application (A-Levels, extra-curricular)?

Also, congratulations on the offers! Which course did you apply for?
Bsc Maths and Ecomomics.

And not as much as I initially thought, as some people with better GCSEs than me got rejected - saying that I filled my personal statement with LOADS of related extra curriculars and my references were very good. However, I'd like to think Oxbridge and Medicine will put much more of an emphasis on GCSEs than other courses.
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Sabav)
I love adapt and I enjoy using it. My only problem is that let’s say for chemistry, the titles of subchapters in the book is different to the textbook which is slightly annoying but overall it’s really good
It should be the subchapter of your exam board specification. Sometimes the books joins some things together - I had that problem but I just needed to read the spec and realise it was joined together in the spec
BelieveStudent
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I am not an A level student yet! but I am currently in yr 11 I personally that u should keep on studying at least 4 6 hrs bc u never know when might this corana lockdown end it might be chance that people might do A-levels and GCSEs
Jassie03
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by wishiwerenthere)
do papers, mark papers using mark scheme and examiner reports. keep up the pace, it's impressive and you dont want to fall into the trap of relaxation if you take a while to get back into the swing of theings
Will do thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (221)
33.54%
No (438)
66.46%

Watched Threads