shinkaiganx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
I'm really stuck on this question, I would like some guidance.

Assess the statement “ Disasters do not just happen, they result from failures of development, which increase vulnerability to hazard events.” (12 marks)
RAW2018
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi,

I would talk about the Disaster Risk-Poverty Nexus and how disasters have a proportionate impact on the poor, particularly in developing countries with high morality and economic loss risks.
Disaster definition (in introduction/at beginning)
Countries with small and vulnerable economies, due to: small populations, remoteness, susceptibility to natural disasters, dependence in international trade, vulnerability to global development (Antigua, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Guinea Bissau, Cyprus, Haiti, Jamaica, Malta, Dominica etc.)
Inequality definition
Factors contributing to vulnerability: poor placement of settlements, structures not resistant to ground motion, lack of access to information about earthquake risks.
Adverse effects: Physical damage, casualties, longer term public health problems, water supply problems, lack of food/medical care, damage to local/regional economy.

You could talk about how earthquakes themselves tend not to kill many people, it is the effects of the earthquakes, such as buildings collapsing on people, that causes the most casualties.

Hope this helps and is what you were looking for
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (571)
34.34%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (684)
41.13%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (333)
20.02%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (75)
4.51%

Watched Threads