Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I came across this video just a few minutes ago and found it impactful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoR_hAme850

To me, it's the 'instant gratification' problem. Do you:
a) Prefer to be lie or be lied to and feel a little better 'in the moment', or
b) Prefer to tell or hear the truth and expose yourself or risk offending someone else, so you can have a more authentic long-term relationship that solves problems instead of ignoring them

Though it shouldn't be just about sharing problems. Successes as well.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
B.
But there are some unpleasant truths that must never be mentioned to a very vulnerable person under circumstances where there is a high risk of precipitating extreme terror, a mental breakdown or suicide.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
B) I've been told by my friends that I'm too truthful for my own good sometimes, what I've told them though is that they always know where they stand with me. I'm not the type of person to tell them what they want to hear, or sugarcoat anything. I'd rather be genuine than lie to protect a person's feelings.
FakeNewsEditor
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
In theory, everyone will say B. But in practice, you see a lot of people who prefer to lie to avoid getting into unpleasant situations.
NonIndigenous
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by FakeNewsEditor)
In theory, everyone will say B. But in practice, you see a lot of people who prefer to lie to avoid getting into unpleasant situations.
Well, it took a substantial catastrophe and a lot of self-reflection for me to make a habit of choosing B. Maybe that's what it takes, though I'm hopeful that it doesn't for most people.

If I feel like I am faced with people whom I have to lie to to keep them happy, then I'd rather not deal with them at all if I can help it. And that happens quite a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (62)
63.27%
No (18)
18.37%
Not sure (18)
18.37%

Watched Threads