Watch
This discussion is closed.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
M589 - Early Parliamentary election motion 2020, Rt. Hon. Connor27 MP

That this house believes that the Prime Minister, JMR2020, should use his power under the constitution to dissolve Parliament and call a snap general election for the MHoC.

With the seemingly inevitable approval of the Citizens Party and the number of defections of prominent members from all parties this term; this house believes that the parliament has seen a fundamental change in circumstances since the last general election; this therefore warrants a snap general election to renew this house’s mandate and legitimacy to govern.

However, this house believes that the election should only be called as soon as Citizens is approved as a project.”
Advertisement
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Seems that Connor's quest for power continues, but this time under the guise of renewing a mandate and legitimacy to govern. The members of parties have very little, if any at all, effect on how people vote, so the "defections of prominent members from all parties" is pretty much just you grasping at straws, much like this whole motion is. A group of 4 forming shouldn't mean going through the whole process of an election, so again, there's another grasped at straw.

Although I will be voting against this, if an election was to happen for whatever reason, I wouldn't complain.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
When is the house meant to expire? 20th of June IIRC?
Advertisement
JMR2020.
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Surely the established way of proving whether the government has a legitimacy to govern is through a VoNC?
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm a tad hurt that our party proposal name was incorrectly spelt! Edit: there are also other SPAG errors so I guess we're not unique in that.

On the substance, I'm not sure I agree. This just seems like a weird way to avoid proposing a MoNC to me.
Last edited by CatusStarbright; 6 days ago
Advertisement
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I'm not going to comment on the main substance of the motion as I'm currently consulting my party on a number of related issues, but I agree that it's important to wait for a decision on Citizens first.
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I do not want an early General Election. I hope by June that some of the restrictions will have been removed and so something towards normality will have returned, but if not, I would argue for a delay.

Whilst I think Mr Johnson and some of his colleagues have reacted late and/or badly to the crisis, I agree that the Covid 19 pandemic is the most serious thing to happen since WW2. There were no general elections held then, indeed the 1935 Parliament continued for ten years.
Advertisement
quirky editor
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
The election may have to be delayed due to the current pademic.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by quirky editor)
The election may have to be delayed due to the current pademic.
Once again, that's more of a reason to have it!
Advertisement
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I'm not going to comment on the main substance of the motion as I'm currently consulting my party on a number of related issues, but I agree that it's important to wait for a decision on Citizens first.
You missed the apostrophe there
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Aph)
You missed the apostrophe there
I mean the apostrophe really doesn't belong when using 'Citizens' without 'Party'!
Advertisement
LiberOfLondon
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Connor27
Should the proposal of the Citizen's Party go through I will vote Aye, should it not I will abstain. Please take this as a guide for my stance on this issue.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Saracen's Fez)
I mean the apostrophe really doesn't belong when using 'Citizens' without 'Party'!
But saying you want a decision on "Citizens" makes no sense! It's like you want a decision to be made about the citizens of the UK, not the party. Surely since the decision belongs to the Citizen's Party there is an apostrophe?
Advertisement
Miss Maddie
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
The dyslexic party doesn't change things afaics, the election shouldn't happen. Desperation and thinking it's your turn to govern isn't a reason to want an early election
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Somebody really is getting desperate

Is this being blocked from division or are we allowing joke items in division again?
Baron of Sealand
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I do not want an early General Election. I hope by June that some of the restrictions will have been removed and so something towards normality will have returned, but if not, I would argue for a delay.

Whilst I think Mr Johnson and some of his colleagues have reacted late and/or badly to the crisis, I agree that the Covid 19 pandemic is the most serious thing to happen since WW2. There were no general elections held then, indeed the 1935 Parliament continued for ten years.
That was with a national government though
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I fully support this - this is a zombie Parliament that must be renewed.
Advertisement
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Connor27)
Er you wrote this....
Bailey14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Connor27)
I’d be surprised if you didn’t support a motion in your name to be honest.
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Bailey14)
I’d be surprised if you didn’t support a motion in your name to be honest.
I wouldn't...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (226)
61.08%
No (77)
20.81%
Not sure (67)
18.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

Oops, nobody has posted
in the last few hours.

Why not re-start the conversation?

Start new discussion

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise