how is ignorance and want presented in a christmas carol?

Watch
epicalesha786
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
how could i improve this, i just started but need to finish this

Dickens uses social commentary as a critique of Victorian society to show how the higher class has abundance whereas the lower class has nothing; they are in the needs of basics like food, water and shelter. He does this by illustrating poverty by personification. 'this boy is ignorance, this girl is want' suggests that poverty affects children more than adults, 'Ignorance' could indicate the higher/middle class looking down at the lower class and and not sharing wealth equally. Another interpretation could be poor needing education, which they could use to get a good job and making there situation better. 'Want' could symbolise the poor needing basic needs. Historically, there used to be a poor law which is to help the poor and give them some money/shelter, but in 1834 the poor law was amended to the poor being treated as criminals, animals and send them to prison, workhouses and the treadmill. 'Yellow' could signify that poverty is a disease that can be cured with care and attention, or can't be cured. The writer makes the reader feel disturbed by the imagery so they can feel sorry for the poor and help them. Also, by using verisimilitude, Dickens shows the reader how he saw London at that time, the higher/middle classes leaving the poor to die, even though they have abundance. 'be a claw, for the flesh there is upon it' could express that they also dehumanise the lower class, as well as not helping them.

i didn't know what to write for want
Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by epicalesha786)
how could i improve this, i just started but need to finish this

Dickens uses social commentary as a critique of Victorian society to show how the higher class has abundance whereas the lower class has nothing; they are in the needs of basics like food, water and shelter. He does this by illustrating poverty by personification. 'this boy is ignorance, this girl is want' suggests that poverty affects children more than adults, 'Ignorance' could indicate the higher/middle class looking down at the lower class and and not sharing wealth equally. Another interpretation could be poor needing education, which they could use to get a good job and making there situation better. 'Want' could symbolise the poor needing basic needs. Historically, there used to be a poor law which is to help the poor and give them some money/shelter, but in 1834 the poor law was amended to the poor being treated as criminals, animals and send them to prison, workhouses and the treadmill. 'Yellow' could signify that poverty is a disease that can be cured with care and attention, or can't be cured. The writer makes the reader feel disturbed by the imagery so they can feel sorry for the poor and help them. Also, by using verisimilitude, Dickens shows the reader how he saw London at that time, the higher/middle classes leaving the poor to die, even though they have abundance. 'be a claw, for the flesh there is upon it' could express that they also dehumanise the lower class, as well as not helping them.

i didn't know what to write for want
Have a read of this
https://sites.google.com/site/cccgcs...rance-and-want
a.gulietta
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi, I can defo recommend Stacey Reay on youtube, she has a grade 9 analysis of all the characters and themes for Christmas Carol and some other texts on her channel. She really helped me boost my grade as I had been at an 8 for ages and got a 9 in my real exam. Here’s the link to her video on Ignorance and Want :
https://youtu.be/_qAq-3COpv0

It’s quite thorough and includes context, relevant quotes, so should be helpful
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (272)
15.51%
Uncertainty around my education (274)
15.62%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (174)
9.92%
Isolating with family (123)
7.01%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (79)
4.5%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (147)
8.38%
Loneliness (174)
9.92%
Financial worries (70)
3.99%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (160)
9.12%
Exposure to negative news/social media (125)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (156)
8.89%

Watched Threads