The Student Room Group

Why are people still stock piling?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Precious Illusions
I went to the Asda at my local shopping centre yesterday and was queuing for 20 mins to get in as they had a 1 in 1 out policy. However, it was nice and quiet inside and I got everything on my list. They seemed fairly well stocked up too. However it was 11am and already sold out of rice and had very little pasta left.

I went to the main sainsburys today. I forgot it was saturday and was greeted was a que which looked at least half an hour long to get into the store.

f**k that!

So Man left and went to Iceland [less than 5 minutes away]. Only 1 dude queing outside and the shop was even better stocked than last time I went in there. On the way back I stopped off at lidl to get some water [iceland had poor selections of water]. thankfully there was no stupid social distancing que being inforced outside so i got in and out relatively quickly.

I bought enough stuff today so i don't have to go out tomorrow :smile:
Original post by ANM775
I went to the main sainsburys today. I forgot it was saturday and was greeted was a que which looked at least half an hour long to get into the store.

f**k that!

So Man left and went to Iceland [less than 5 minutes away]. Only 1 dude queing outside and the shop was even better stocked than last time I went in there. On the way back I stopped off at lidl to get some water [iceland had poor selections of water]. thankfully there was no stupid social distancing que being inforced outside so i got in and out relatively quickly.

I bought enough stuff today so i don't have to go out tomorrow :smile:

Jeezo. I don't mind queuing tbh, esp if the shop is gonna be well stocked and fairly quiet. Hoping I won't need to go shopping for a few weeks now anyway. It's too much hassle rn.
Reply 22
Jeezo. I don't mind queuing tbh, esp if the shop is gonna be well stocked and fairly quiet. Hoping I won't need to go shopping for a few weeks now anyway. It's too much hassle rn.

a few weeks? how bigs your freezer?

someone's been panic buying......

unfortunately i have no car, and arms can only carry so much...., so it's like a trip every 2 days atm for me. i eat a lot too, around £70 worth a week. i manage to not get fat though.

i hate queuing. and I just KNOW it's gonna have bare empty shelves too because it's a saturday and loads of people have been.
Original post by ANM775
a few weeks? how bigs your freezer?

someone's been panic buying......

unfortunately i have no car, and arms can only carry so much...., so it's like a trip every 2 days atm for me. i eat a lot too, around £70 worth a week. i manage to not get fat though.

i hate queuing. and I just KNOW it's gonna have bare empty shelves too because it's a saturday and loads of people have been.

I don't have a freezer! Not even been panic buying tbh. But I definitely have enough to see me through the next 2 weeks with fresh food and tinned foods etc. I might go out next week just to get some fruit and bread.

I don't have a car either, usually I just fill my backpack and have one carrier bag. I got a taxi back from the shops a few days ago just as I bought much more than normal to save me having to do another big shop soon.

£70 a week on food?!?!?! Jeezo. I spend £20 a week on average.
Reply 24
£70 a week on food?!?!?! Jeezo. I spend £20 a week on average.

Yes, :smile:

I could never do £20 a week. That would seem like a severe punishment or something

at one point I was averaging over £100 a month on just chicken [due to gym]. The people behind the hot food counter at sainsburys used to look at me funny .. till one day I came in a short sleeved shirt and they saw that I wasn't fat.
Original post by ANM775
Yes, :smile:

I could never do £20 a week. That would seem like a severe punishment or something

at one point I was averaging over £100 a month on just chicken [due to gym]. The people behind the hot food counter at sainsburys used to look at me funny .. till one day I came in a short sleeved shirt and they saw that I wasn't fat.

Damn. I feel like I buy a lot too so I couldn't imagine how much I'd have if I spent £70.

Well judging by ya titty pic you posted yesterday you're definitely not fat.
Maybe people are buying more because they fear a longer lockdown.

I have all the tins/etc I need if I get the virus, so only looking for one week's shopping every time.
I went shopping on Monday and the panic buying seems to have eased on in the supermarkets thankfully. Some items are still sold out e.g. eggs and flour, but they seemed to be a good amount of things available.

You could also consider shopping at local shops if you can't get what you need at the supermarkets. Usually they will have more stock left. Also, some small businesses will do deliveries of essentials, e.g. milk, egg, bread, etc. It is worth looking at social media pages of businesses in your local areas.
People are still stock pilling, because they are totally selfish and have a complete disregard for there fellow human beings.
Especially the elderly, and the NHS, and key workers.
Reply 29
Original post by Karisa96
People are still stock pilling, because they are totally selfish and have a complete disregard for there fellow human beings.
Especially the elderly, and the NHS, and key workers.

I'm pretty sure the elderly are stockpiling too, i know my dad has been...

don't be so quick to assume that the following 3 groups are innocent..,

personally i only think the elderly should be given 1 chance a week to get ahead of the crowds, not 3/4 like they've been getting.

I think a large amount of people are pretty much out for themselves tbh, no matter what group they're in.

Quick Reply

Latest