springpastell
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
I'm an IB student who was predicted 41 points and it's pretty obvious I'll eventually be marked even higher at this point. However, due to various reasons, I only applied for universities, which require much lower, which I truly regret. With this amount of points, I could try to apply to places like Oxbridge, Kings College London or Warwick. Going to a uni which requires half the amount of points I have would feel like such a waste of my hard work. The best option would be to apply next year, however, as I'm an EU student, I'm worried that due to Brexit the tuition fees will be much higher and I wouldn't be able to afford that. Do you guys have any advice cause I'm genuinely struggling and could seriously use some help... I seriously worked so hard and it feels wrong that other people with the same amount of points or lower are rewarded with going to a place with an amazing reputation, while I wouldn't have that opportunity.
HumblyBumbly
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by springpastell)
I'm an IB student who was predicted 41 points and it's pretty obvious I'll eventually be marked even higher at this point. However, due to various reasons, I only applied for universities, which require much lower, which I truly regret. With this amount of points, I could try to apply to places like Oxbridge, Kings College London or Warwick. Going to a uni which requires half the amount of points I have would feel like such a waste of my hard work. The best option would be to apply next year, however, as I'm an EU student, I'm worried that due to Brexit the tuition fees will be much higher and I wouldn't be able to afford that. Do you guys have any advice cause I'm genuinely struggling and could seriously use some help... I seriously worked so hard and it feels wrong that other people with the same amount of points or lower are rewarded with going to a place with an amazing reputation, while I wouldn't have that opportunity.
what do you want to study?
springpastell
Rep:
?
(Original post by HumblyBumbly)
what do you want to study?
Applied for Politics and Philosophy.
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Applied for Politics and Philosophy.
You have 4 basic choices
1 Accept your current choice
2 Decline all the offers you are holding and apply through ucas extra 1 university at a time.
3 Try getting somewhere else through adjustment in August(if adjustment will still be happening this year).
4 Reject you offers and reapply next year.

All these offers have some risks. I would think option 2 would probably be your best option. Rejecting all your choices would be risky but given your grades it is likely you will get offers. Adjustment would be a good option in that you could look elsewhere and keep your offer whilst doing so but given the uncertainty that exists at the moment who knows whether there will be places in adjustment. Using 4 would allow you to apply to Oxbridge but there is no guarantee of a place and as an EU student you might be liable to international fees. Option 1 would mean you could end up somewhere you dont want to be.

I dont know where you are currently holding offers from. Durham and Exeter are both quite highly regarded in your fields and it might be worth checking those out to see if they still have spaces under extra and whether they are likely to accept you with your current grade which I suspect they will if they have room.
springpastell
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
You have 4 basic choices
2 Decline all the offers you are holding and apply through ucas extra 1 university at a time.
3 Try getting somewhere else through adjustment in August(if adjustment will still be happening this year).

All these offers have some risks. I would think option 2 would probably be your best option. Rejecting all your choices would be risky but given your grades it is likely you will get offers. Adjustment would be a good option in that you could look elsewhere and keep your offer whilst doing so but given the uncertainty that exists at the moment who knows whether there will be places in adjustment. Using 4 would allow you to apply to Oxbridge but there is no guarantee of a place and as an EU student you might be liable to international fees. Option 1 would mean you could end up somewhere you dont want to be.

I dont know where you are currently holding offers from. Durham and Exeter are both quite highly regarded in your fields and it might be worth checking those out to see if they still have spaces under extra and whether they are likely to accept you with your current grade which I suspect they will if they have room.
All of this is so stressful I want to cry. But thank you so much, seriously. Option 2 does seem good but regarding the current situation it may be the case they have no space left and then I'd struggle as I'd need to decline my offers. But I could give it a try...
springpastell
Rep:
?
You have 4 basic choices

It is also probably important to mention that my option now is Lancaster and I'm not sure if Exeter or Durham would be worth extra. So if anyone has an opinion on that I'd love to hear it.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
It is also probably important to mention that my option now is Lancaster and I'm not sure if Exeter or Durham would be worth extra. So if anyone has an opinion on that I'd love to hear it.
Lancaster is a fabulous university as good as anywhere outside of Oxbridge and on a par with Durham, Warwick and Exeter. You could do a lot worse elsewhere. It certainly isnt a poor choice.

https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...kings/politics
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ngs/philosophy
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ables/rankings
springpastell
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 21 hours ago
Lancaster is a fabulous university as good as anywhere outside of Oxbridge and on a par with Durham, Warwick and Exeter. You could do a lot worse elsewhere. It certainly isnt a poor choice.

https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...kings/politics
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ngs/philosophy
https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...ables/rankings
Do you reckon that after doing my Bachelor in Lancaster I could successfully apply to do masters at somewhere like Oxbridge though, if I may ask?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 21 hours ago
Do you reckon that after doing my Bachelor in Lancaster I could successfully apply to do masters at somewhere like Oxbridge though, if I may ask?
I dont know the answer to this but getting into the likes of Oxbridge will be extremely difficult from anywhere.
zenia12
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 19 hours ago
Hi, I’m a UK IB student going to Lancaster in September. Personally, if you know you want to go to Lancaster, I would call them, explain your situation and what you’re considering and ask what their recommendation is. It would let you know which option you’re most likely to be successful with. Good luck with everything!!
BeautifulQueen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 19 hours ago
Go to a cheap university.
springpastell
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 19 hours ago
(Original post by zenia12)
Hi, I’m a UK IB student going to Lancaster in September. Personally, if you know you want to go to Lancaster, I would call them, explain your situation and what you’re considering and ask what their recommendation is. It would let you know which option you’re most likely to be successful with. Good luck with everything!!
Thank you so much!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (45)
60%
No (30)
40%

Watched Threads