teachers predicting a-level and gcse results!?!

Watch
Beeboy99
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
At a time of crisis they've decided that the teachers will predict a-level and gcse results. What are your thoughts on this guys? I think it's super unfair on working class people who are predicted crap grades because of their socioeconomic status (yes they are correlated according to the government!).

That means that posh people/private school people have an unfair advantage!

From experience, teachers underpredicted my grades but i smashed the real exams (5 grades difference between predicted and actual in one case!) - that's why i'm against it.

Anyhow, if they were not to use predicted grades, what else could they do? Bit of a bizarre situation to be in huh!

Really makes me wonder what's going to happen for final year uni students - will the same apply to them, or will they basically all have to defer their lives to sit exams next summer?

The coronavirus has opened a can of worms wherever you look!
saltytablet
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
They haven't said they're using predicted grades?

"Teachers should consider evidence including performance on mock exams and non-exam assessment."

Ofqual's Official Statement

"Generally pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds are more likely to have their results overestimated, except for high-achieving disadvantaged pupils, who are more likely to be underestimated - 24% of pupils who achieved AAB in this group did better than predicted."

This statistic shows us if anything, you are more likely to be overestimated, unless a high-achiever, in which case if you are from a disadvantaged background AND high-achieving, then this new system will work in your favour (hopefully), as the mocks and in-class assessments will show that your actual ability is a lot higher than your predicted grades.

SOURCE: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/u...-gcse-17972817

Final Year Uni students are still expected to complete exams, and I know that students at the University of Edinburgh are expected to complete exams ONLINE.

(Original post by Beeboy99)
That means that posh people/private school people have an unfair advantage!
When don't they have the unfair advantage? That's not the point, the grades this year will follow the same normal distribution curve as past years have, "The aim is to provide grades to students before the end of July. They will be “indistinguishable from those provided in other years”, and pupils will have a chance to resit an exam if they don’t think the grade is fair." there will be a similar amount of A*, A, B and even E grades as all the other years, there's no use worrying about something you cannot control.

All the best in the future mate : )
Last edited by saltytablet; 1 week ago
jonnypdot
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think what sucks is those students who got a tutor to help them study for their gcse exams. Especially if their mocks do not reflect their ability and getting that tutor made them improve?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (228)
33.78%
No (447)
66.22%

Watched Threads