Hurtmarshmellow
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey everyone!

I am 20 years old and will be 21 in November (I should in theory be in my second year of uni). I have recently started to feel better after 6/7 years of severe depression and now want to start applying to go to university later on.

Because of my depression I messed up on my GCSEs and got grade C for the core subjects and generally got Ds and 1 B. So not great.
A-levels weren’t much better as I got 1 B, 1 C, and 3 Ds so again not great. (Please no one point out or blame myself and make me feel worse for my grades I already know this, I simply want advice not to be lectured and/or put down).

So in my newfound happiness and confidence I want to apply to do psychology or maybe even psychiatry through medicine. I am going to retake some subjects through online learning and courses and work hard to do it in two years.
What universities and general advice regarding my situation would you recommend and what about my age would that be an issue.
Since I was young UCL was always pushed upon me but after everything and my **** grades I doubt it and preferably I’d like to stay in London.
But yeah any advice and how to go about this would be amazing thank you!
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Hurtmarshmellow)
Hey everyone!

I am 20 years old and will be 21 in November (I should in theory be in my second year of uni). I have recently started to feel better after 6/7 years of severe depression and now want to start applying to go to university later on.

Because of my depression I messed up on my GCSEs and got grade C for the core subjects and generally got Ds and 1 B. So not great.
A-levels weren’t much better as I got 1 B, 1 C, and 3 Ds so again not great. (Please no one point out or blame myself and make me feel worse for my grades I already know this, I simply want advice not to be lectured and/or put down).

So in my newfound happiness and confidence I want to apply to do psychology or maybe even psychiatry through medicine. I am going to retake some subjects through online learning and courses and work hard to do it in two years.
What universities and general advice regarding my situation would you recommend and what about my age would that be an issue.
Since I was young UCL was always pushed upon me but after everything and my **** grades I doubt it and preferably I’d like to stay in London.
Ok from the beginning.

1. GCSEs dont matter that much except grade 4-6 in English and Maths. Some unis have min A levels, unless its elite you cna get past. Some of the elite unis take more notice of GCSE as do things like Medicine.
2. It will help if you decide between Psychology (saturated and very hard to get a job in the area) and Medicine which you need AAA and preferably first sit. they are at opposite ends of the scale.
3. Level 3 if Medicine then do A levels as they are the most widely accepted but AAA for Medicine and preferably first sit. Your other choice is a 1 year Access to HE course, which will be good enough for Psychology but limited for Medicine. This is why you need to make the choice. A levels are often self taught or online curses that are self financed. Finding a college which does them is rare. Look in the mediicne forum for loads of advice, not much point in me repeating what you need to do.
4. Your age is irrelevant.
5. Unis depends on what your grades are, whether you choose between Medicine or Psych? If you limite yourself to London then that is a small number of unis, some great others very low down the food tree.
6. My main advice is what you must do is get your MH under control and then start t build resilience into it so you can cope.

You can look at courses here.
https://digital.ucas.com/search
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Hurtmarshmellow)
Hey everyone!

Hi there Hurtmarshmellow

I'd back everything 999tigger has said/recommended there, its an excellent reply.

And just to say, well done on deciding to go back to education and go for uni. (And age REALLY doesn't matter at uni)

Point 6 is definitely the main one to sort now, as you seem to have the other tings in place that you intend to do (courses etc). If you're already interested in any unis, check out the support and care they can offer for you, mental health wise, to ensure the pastoral care is what you need.

Good luck!

Fi :horse:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (306)
34.3%
No (586)
65.7%

Watched Threads