The guy I like is hard to understand??

Watch
Emily120803
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
There’s this guy I really like, however he has a Nigerian accent and sometimes when I talk to him it’s really hard to understand what he’s saying, I don’t want to come across as offensive by saying it’s hard to understand him and asking him to speak slower but I’m not sure how else to resolve it?
β0b
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by Emily120803)
There’s this guy I really like, however he has a Nigerian accent and sometimes when I talk to him it’s really hard to understand what he’s saying, I don’t want to come across as offensive by saying it’s hard to understand him and asking him to speak slower but I’m not sure how else to resolve it?
I don't think there is anything wrong with saying speak slower. it happens to me all the time because I am not only naturally quiet, I also tend to slur, skip words and talk too fast resulting in next to indecipherable speech. I always get told to speak up/ slower. I don't have a problem with being told I'm a question mark so what's wrong with having a thick accent? then again, I have been told I act like an autistic person numerous times so maybe I'm not the best person to go off
Emily120803
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by β0b)
I don't think there is anything wrong with saying speak slower. it happens to me all the time because I am not only naturally quiet, I also tend to slur, skip words and talk too fast resulting in next to indecipherable speech. I always get told to speak up/ slower. I don't have a problem with being told I'm a question mark so what's wrong with having a thick accent? then again, I have been told I act like an autistic person numerous times so maybe I'm not the best person to go off
Aww well thank you very much for your advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (61)
62.89%
No (18)
18.56%
Not sure (18)
18.56%

Watched Threads