Forgot an in-text citation; will I get in trouble?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Before I start, I have severe OCD, so please don’t joke about this as I’ll just have a panic attack over it, and I’m already on the verge of one.

To put it bluntly, I am a disability services-registered student. I get extra time for my work. This was the last day to upload a piece of coursework, and I just did it, but after submitting, I realised that, while I had included a reference in my bibliography/reference list, I had forgotten an in-text citation. No big deal, I thought. Resubmissions are allowed...except the lecturer has accidentally turned them off, it seems. I emailed them in a panic explaining my situation. Was this the right thing to do? Am I going to get in trouble for this? I detailed my situation clearly because I feel like an error like not letting me resubmit when I’m entitled to it, and when it was provided to me in every other module, is a pretty big deal.
SatsumaConsumer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
First off - I'm sure you're not going to get in trouble for this. The email will have made the situation very clear.

As a fellow sufferer of OCD I appreciate how distressing a situation this is, but I wanted to emphasise how good it is that you were aware your OCD is affecting your feelings about the situation. That kind of self-awareness is hard fought for, and really impressive. It's really hard to seek information when what we're looking for is all bound up in reassurances as well.

You've done everything you reasonably should in this situation - you would have probably only had a comment on your coursework pointing out the missed citation, even if you hadn't emailed. 😊
StriderHort
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
In my experience, forgetting a single missed citation in a piece of work which otherwise proves your understanding of accurate and consistent referencing is treated leniently or simply ignored.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by SatsumaConsumer)
First off - I'm sure you're not going to get in trouble for this. The email will have made the situation very clear.

As a fellow sufferer of OCD I appreciate how distressing a situation this is, but I wanted to emphasise how good it is that you were aware your OCD is affecting your feelings about the situation. That kind of self-awareness is hard fought for, and really impressive. It's really hard to seek information when what we're looking for is all bound up in reassurances as well.

You've done everything you reasonably should in this situation - you would have probably only had a comment on your coursework pointing out the missed citation, even if you hadn't emailed. 😊
Thank you so much for this. I was looking at other people’s threads on similar matters (though different enough that I had to male my own for an accurate answer), and people were jokingly responding in a way that my brain just couldn’t handle at that moment without tipping over the edge. Seeing somebody that fully understands my situation say that it’s going to be OK is worth more than you know. Thank you so much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (337)
34.74%
No (633)
65.26%

Watched Threads