What’s your opinion

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
So my local hospital has been taken o we pretty much by Coronavirus patients. I’m known to have collapsed lung and will have to receive emergency surgery if it happens again. I’m 17 so still at child practically. I had my first op in a children’s hospital. Do you think I should have it at the children’s hospital or have it at my local hospital. I just wouldn’t feel safe enough to be in an adult environment when I could be in a much safer place where I’m not put at risk to my health
Acsel2.0
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
17 is a bit of an awkward age, some would say you're an adult and others would say you aren't. Personally I think calling a 17 year old a child is a bit much though, whether you like it or not you are a young adult and almost at the age where you could be living alone taking full responsibility for yourself.

If you were unfortunate enough to need emergency surgery, I think I'd be less concerned with where I had it and more concerned with it happening as soon as possible. Seconds save lives, so in all likelihood the local hospital would make more sense. If I'm honest though, it sounds less about the age and more about the concern of being in a hospital full of people suffering with Coronavirus. That's just the place we're in right now though, it's inherently more dangerous to be in hospital as a result of Covid 19. With the burden on the NHS right now, I can't imagine the children's hospital is going to be quite as different as you are imagining.

My advice, don't worry about this unless you need to. There's no sense asking or worrying about it, and if it did happen the priority would be getting you surgery, not getting you to the hospital of your choice.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Do you get a choice in the matter? Usually, children's hospitals won't see people over the age of 16 (14 in some places).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (81)
61.83%
No (50)
38.17%

Watched Threads