What to do when you can't understand lecturer?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I do not know if anyone else has run into this problem, but I have a number of lecturers (and almost all of my tutorial leaders) in my university who are foreign.

When they speak I can understand at best around two thirds of what they are saying, one particular tutorial leader it is more like 50%.

Lectures are recorded, however that does not solve the problem of not being able to understand a large amount of what they are saying. Handouts consist of a direct copy of PowerPoint slides (which are extremely bare bones) and so are not helpful at all.

Does anybody else have this problem, and if so what would you recommend I do? Thank you.
Mr Wednesday
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I do not know if anyone else has run into this problem, but I have a number of lecturers (and almost all of my tutorial leaders) in my university who are foreign.

When they speak I can understand at best around two thirds of what they are saying, one particular tutorial leader it is more like 50%.

Lectures are recorded, however that does not solve the problem of not being able to understand a large amount of what they are saying. Handouts consist of a direct copy of PowerPoint slides (which are extremely bare bones) and so are not helpful at all.

Does anybody else have this problem, and if so what would you recommend I do? Thank you.
If you have a year rep best they take this issue to the department on your behalf if others feel the same way, its much more powerful if many students flag an issue on mass, rather than just one student.
Charlie101998
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Doesn't your course give you a reading list? Use the books in conjunction with the slides as more of an indication of chat chapters to read and you should be fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (339)
34.7%
No (638)
65.3%

Watched Threads