Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Hi everyone,

I am applying to a university in Holland and they ask me for a motivation letter plus the CV.
Does anyone know how to the motivation letter? Any advice? I'm a little bit confused since they ask for two documents and I don't wanna be repetitive or boring.

Let me know
Thank you
Moussaillon92110
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi. Isn't it like a cove letter, outlining the reasons you feel you should be at their institution ?
Anonymous #1
Hey,

I've just checked it out on their web site. They ask to explain why I consider myself to be a good candidate and why I've chosen that programme. Any advices on the structure, key facts to mention or even grammar structures to use (I'm not a mother tongue)?

Let me know
Thank you
stormborm
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hello, I have recently been accepted to VU for a Master's programme and I was initially really intimidated by writing my motivation letter. I don't know what your university have stated about the length of the letter but it's important to sell yourself in the best possible way. It's similar to a cover letter for a job application but has to be more detailed and specific.

For my structure, I initially wrote about my passion for my chosen subject and why I wanted to study that particular subject, so basically my motivations and how the course will fit in with my career aspirations. I also spoke about my undergraduate experience, making sure to include the relevant skills and knowledge I had acquired through my previous study and how this has enabled me to apply for postgraduate study. If relevant, make sure to include any extra curricular activities/training/volunteering experience you may have that links to what you want to study. Finally I detailed why I wanted to study at that particular university and why that course.

They basically want to see that you're motivated for the course, that you have the necessary educational background and skills to be able to do well on the course and that you have done your research about the university. It's important to be positive throughout the letter and to try not repeat your CV too much, the letter is about extra details that are not included on your CV.

I hope this helps, good luck with your application!
Last edited by stormborm; 9 months ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Rachael-Ilse)
Hello, I have recently been accepted to VU for a Master's programme and I was initially really intimidated by writing my motivation letter. I don't know what your university have stated about the length of the letter but it's important to sell yourself in the best possible way. It's similar to a cover letter for a job application but has to be more detailed and specific.

For my structure, I initially wrote about my passion for my chosen subject and why I wanted to study that particular subject, so basically my motivations and how the course will fit in with my career aspirations. I also spoke about my undergraduate experience, making sure to include the relevant skills and knowledge I had acquired through my previous study and how this has enabled me to apply for postgraduate study. If relevant, make sure to include any extra curricular activities/training/volunteering experience you may have that links to what you want to study. Finally I detailed why I wanted to study at that particular university and why that course.

They basically want to see that you're motivated for the course, that you have the necessary educational background and skills to be able to do well on the course and that you have done your research about the university. It's important to be positive throughout the letter and to try not repeat your CV too much, the letter is about extra details that are not included on your CV.

I hope this helps, good luck with your application!
Thank you so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
57.52%
I don't have everything I need (144)
42.48%

Watched Threads