The Student Room Group
Reply 1
richie_009
hey im stuck with geogrpahy AS coursework- it's an environmental investigation and i have decided to do an Urban study and my main hypothesis is -Does Durham fit the popular Urban Models?

I just need help in how to go about this in like what questions i can subdivide this hypothesis and how i wil be bale to solve this task. I will like need few more key questions and aims to solve this hypothesis any ideas people?

Which syllabus are you doing? If you are doing edexcelB then I can help. Most syllabuses have fairly specific criteria for their coursework and you need to keep to them!
Reply 2
yea im doing that
Reply 3
richie_009
yea im doing that

Ok if your main hypothesis is "Does Durham fit the popuar urban models", this is going to be FAR too long and broad for a good Edexcel B piece of coursework which has to be 2500 words or less!
I would reduce it down to a more specific and detailed piece (one of my students did this last year and scored 100 UMS!). She looked at "How far does the SW sector of XXXXXX follow the Burgess Model?"
She took the SW sector (one eighth of the town) which effectively was the area including two main arterial roads and the zone between them. Within this increasing segment from the centre she drew distance arcs every 500m starting at the CBD and at 4 equidistant points along each arc she did a detailed EQA (Environmental Quality Assessment) as well as a detailed Land Use survey (with the housing variables needed etc) for that point.
From that sort of data you can then see using a map with overlayed graphs, photos etc a clear variation from town centre to outskirts and to pick up on anomalies and to use the model (plus others) then to comment on how town follow models in reality.
Reply 4
????
Reply 5
so shal i change it then
Reply 6
richie_009
so shal i change it then

If you have already submitted the title to your moderator, then it could be tricky. I would chat to your coursework teacher about it as (from many years experience as a Head of Geog on these things) the more focussed and detailed you can make your investigation, the more likely you are to get a good mark. Anything which is too large will end up being general in its data and its answers and thus not score as highly (within the word limit - which is vERY tight!)
Reply 7
but what if i do this and use my data on lnad uses and environmental survey and then look at each model like 4 of them and then find out which model the city fits?
Reply 8
richie_009
but what if i do this and use my data on lnad uses and environmental survey and then look at each model like 4 of them and then find out which model the city fits?

That could be good, provided that you have a very good annotation and diagram technique to allow most of the results and descriptive bits as figures in the report and keep your limited word count for the analytical sections.
Reply 9
You can PM me if you want to!
Reply 10
yeah thanks then. we had few example questions we could do-

1.Does XXXXX fit any theories of land use around a city?
2.What is the pattern of housing type and quality around XXXXX?
Reply 11
richie_009
yeah thanks then. we had few example questions we could do-

1.Does XXXXX fit any theories of land use around a city?
2.What is the pattern of housing type and quality around XXXXX?

These are quite vague and woolly. Edexcel like very specific questions like....
An examination on SW Xxxxxx - To what extent does it support the Burgess Model or
Does the type and quality of housing change as distance from the city increases?
Reply 12
ooo im stuck can u just suggest me a good question please..

the data i have is an urban enviroment transect sheet-indictaing the land uses on the differnt transects for 5 zones moving out of the city centre and lanf use types in differnt directions -such as N,NE,E,SE,S,SW etc.
I also have an enviornmental quality assessment for the sites and tracci counts and oedestrain count.
So can u please help me im really stuck
Reply 13
need help?? reply to my question please
Reply 14
richie_009
need help?? reply to my question please

Have sent you a detailed pm

Latest

Trending

Trending