Can I move out at 16 without my parents' permission

Watch
Dooplie
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Please read and somewhat try to help me. I am 16 and i really want to move out, reasons being :I am treated very poorly, I fight a lot with my parents.I am living in a state i had wished to move out from long ago yet I couldn't due to my age and now that I have reached an age where I can somewhat give consent, I wasn't so sure about it.I do not want to move out alone - I have a boyfriend who is willing to take me in and help me. He is 18 and lives alone and really doesn't mind helping until i finish GCSE's and further education until I turn 18 to where i know i have no issues with it. I will be living with him if this does go on and becomes successful. However I am struggling to understand alot of things - If i were to move out and live with him: Would I need to place him as my career until 18? Would I be able to have access of getting my own card even if I'm not working and still in school? I was told that the parent/career would need to do that for you and give consent so If i choose to move out - will that be up to me or my 'career' boyfriend? Please try to understand and answer as much as you can because I am starting to loose my patience which i had for couple of years.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
At 16 you don’t need permission to leave you can just do so. The issue is finding somewhere willing to accept you and manage to pay for it but if you already have someone that will take you in then that problem isn’t really there. You just need to make sure it’s not a bad idea to live with him.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Dooplie)
Please read and somewhat try to help me. I am 16 and i really want to move out, reasons being :I am treated very poorly, I fight a lot with my parents.I am living in a state i had wished to move out from long ago yet I couldn't due to my age and now that I have reached an age where I can somewhat give consent, I wasn't so sure about it.I do not want to move out alone - I have a boyfriend who is willing to take me in and help me. He is 18 and lives alone and really doesn't mind helping until i finish GCSE's and further education until I turn 18 to where i know i have no issues with it. I will be living with him if this does go on and becomes successful. However I am struggling to understand alot of things - If i were to move out and live with him: Would I need to place him as my career until 18? Would I be able to have access of getting my own card even if I'm not working and still in school? I was told that the parent/career would need to do that for you and give consent so If i choose to move out - will that be up to me or my 'career' boyfriend? Please try to understand and answer as much as you can because I am starting to loose my patience which i had for couple of years.
You can leave home when you are 16, Your parents cant stop you unless the prove to authorities that by doing so you are in some sort of danger.
The best way to do this and neutralise the parents is to inform social services and or the police.
Doing things through social services will mean they are obliged to help.

If you are going to live with your bf, then does his LL consent to you living there?
What will you do for money?
Nope he would not be your carer.
You can get your own card at 16, but it would be for a youth account. Again how are you going to pay for this?

Considering covid19 , then now is not the best time to do this as council services are completely strained.

Speak to childline 0800 1111
or Shelter
https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help
YaliaV
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
How do they treat you poorly? It’s normal to argue with your parents at 16. It’s possible to move out, but the real world is not that easy and living with someone is a very different proposition than kissing and going to the cinema. You’ll have to wait for a while anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (241)
60.55%
No (82)
20.6%
Not sure (75)
18.84%

Watched Threads