vereena3005
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
hi I know no one is probably checking this bc of rona but can someone write a model answer to this essay? or at least help me with it?
'Weak leadership in the USSR was the most significant reason for the increase in Cold War
tension in the years 1982 to 1985.’
Jamie_O'Neon
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by vereena3005)
hi I know no one is probably checking this bc of rona but can someone write a model answer to this essay? or at least help me with it?
'Weak leadership in the USSR was the most significant reason for the increase in Cold War
tension in the years 1982 to 1985.’
Hi, I've only done Tsarist and Communist Russia 1855-1963, but from what we've done I would write something along the lines of this:
Intro paragraph - "There is evidence to suggest that the USSR's weak leadership between 1982 and 1985 increased Cold War tension, however there is also evidence to suggest that .... and .... also had a significant impact." (Something like this)
First para - Argue for the statement, analyse the level of impact leadership had. Did it have a greater impact earlier on or later on? Did it exacerbate an already difficult situation? Is it more accurate to say leadership is to blame at some points more than others? etc. Conclude the paragraph with a clear judgement on how significant leadership was by itself in increasing tensions.
Second para - Now argue against the statement and offer an alternative view. Use one of the other factors mentioned in the intro and essentially do the same with this factor as you did with leadership. Maybe even link it back to leadership and perhaps mention if this factor simply contributed to the issue or if it could be argued to have started problems from the beginning. etc. Once again end the paragraph with a judgement on how significant this factor was.
Third para - Virtually the same as the previous paragraph just with a different factor. By this point your brain juices should have started sloshing around and so you'll probably have given some good points by now. Start thinking how to conclude your essay.
Conclusion - Usually it's best to have a mix of factors contributing to an issue, rather than adamantly agreeing with the statement. E.g. "It is quite clear that poor leadership in the USSR had a considerable impact on increasing Cold War tensions, due to 'example' which.... and 'another example' which .... However, one must consider that 'other factor' also had a large impact, as 'example' .... One could also argue that 'another factor' combined with 'other factor' exacerbated the issue because 'example' .... and so therefore 'another factor' and 'other factor' created the right environment for weak leadership to have a large effect." End the conclusion by acknowledging the levels of impact of the other two factors, and make a judgement whether weak leadership really was the most significant, one of the other two factors were the most significant, or if it was a combination rather than any one factor.

That's just what I would have in mind (without knowing much about the content). Hope this helped in some way - don't forget there are plenty of essay plans available on the internet so don't hesitate to look further.

Stay well!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (9)
6.12%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (24)
16.33%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (25)
17.01%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (21)
14.29%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (42)
28.57%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (26)
17.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise