Going to University from a Working Class Family

Watch
MaaattC
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I was wondering what it's like to go to university from a working class background. I'm quite insecure about my background as my father is a taxi driver and constantly tells me that it's a terrible idea to go. Assuming I get the grades AAA, I'll be able to go to St Andrew's.

Is it really true that university is an elitist place full of middle/upper-class people and people from working backgrounds won't fit in very well?
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MaaattC)
Hi, I was wondering what it's like to go to university from a working class background. I'm quite insecure about my background as my father is a taxi driver and constantly tells me that it's a terrible idea to go. Assuming I get the grades AAA, I'll be able to go to St Andrew's.

Is it really true that university is an elitist place full of middle/upper-class people and people from working backgrounds won't fit in very well?
Hi MaaattC

That isn't the experience I had at all. I come from a largely working class background (my sister and I were the first in my family to go to university) and I know a lot of people who were the same. It's really common to attend university now, meaning that you get to meet a wide range of people from lots of different places and backgrounds. This was definitely one of my favourite things about it, as I got to meet lots of new people and make friends outside of the small town I come from.

I hope this helps! If you have any more questions about university life, feel free to ask.

Melissa
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MaaattC)

35% of students may be from a private school but that means 65% are not (note that the Scots and Northern English students are particularly overtly working class)

so it may be relatively posh, but private school people will still be in a minority, and guess what? less than 1% of them will be visibly posh - you literally won't have a clue from meeting most people. also the uni has gone on a massive drive to increase more working class students so you're all good. plus it depends on your subject and your hall of residence.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (335)
34.61%
No (633)
65.39%

Watched Threads