MkmoU1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hi. I'm having a hard time answering this essay question.

'Evaluate the view that the UK Supreme Court exerts a large ammount of influence over the goverment'. - 30 Marks

I was wondering if anyone could help come up with some points (along with evidence). Any help will be much appreciated and thank you in adavance.
PetitePanda
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hi I moved your thread to a more relevant forum hopefully, people with more knowledge will see this better now
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by MkmoU1)
Hi. I'm having a hard time answering this essay question.

'Evaluate the view that the UK Supreme Court exerts a large ammount of influence over the goverment'. - 30 Marks

I was wondering if anyone could help come up with some points (along with evidence). Any help will be much appreciated and thank you in adavance.
The obvious examples are the Miller case (which stated that the executive cannot invoke article 50 without consulting parliament) and the more recent prorogation case (where Boris’ shutdown of Parliament was ruled unlawful.)

HOWEVER the big counter point to this is that Parliament is still sovereign, and the Supreme Court cannot override any act of Parliament. Therefore they can only really exert influence on a government that doesn’t have a majority, since any majority government could easily just pass a bill which the Supreme Court cannot rule on.
MkmoU1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Connor27)
The obvious examples are the Miller case (which stated that the executive cannot invoke article 50 without consulting parliament) and the more recent prorogation case (where Boris’ shutdown of Parliament was ruled unlawful.)

HOWEVER the big counter point to this is that Parliament is still sovereign, and the Supreme Court cannot override any act of Parliament. Therefore they can only really exert influence on a government that doesn’t have a majority, since any majority government could easily just pass a bill which the Supreme Court cannot rule on.
Thabk you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.83%
I'm not sure (32)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.3%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (329)
47.89%

Watched Threads