lividowl03
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Basically I am wanting to apply to Edinburgh for medical school, I’m in y12 so I don’t have predicteds or UCAT etc this question isn’t really about that

I have dual nationality English and Irish (republic of Ireland) which means I’m EU and not EU. I was under the impression I would be classed as Rest of U.K. rather than Scottish and EU because I’ve lived here all my life however seeing similar posts on the student room it seems Edinburgh has a habit of classifying people like me as S/EU because “if you can be classed as EU you will be”

I’m aware this would mean I pay no tuition fees however, would I still be entitled to a maintenance loan for student finance England? Not to mention it would make entry to the medical school much more difficult as an eu than U.K. applicant, so I’m not sure if u want to risk that for no fees anyway.

It’s all very confusing and none of SFE, ScotGov, UK gov or Edinburgh Uni seem to provide a clear answer on their websites or maybe I’ve not looked hard enough.

Can anybody provide some clarity? If I apply in October will I be classed as RUK or SEU? If I’m classed as SEU can I receive a maintenance loan? Can I appeal to be considered RUK instead?

Thanks in advance 🙏
kattarina
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by lividowl03)
Basically I am wanting to apply to Edinburgh for medical school, I’m in y12 so I don’t have predicteds or UCAT etc this question isn’t really about that

I have dual nationality English and Irish (republic of Ireland) which means I’m EU and not EU. I was under the impression I would be classed as Rest of U.K. rather than Scottish and EU because I’ve lived here all my life however seeing similar posts on the student room it seems Edinburgh has a habit of classifying people like me as S/EU because “if you can be classed as EU you will be”

I’m aware this would mean I pay no tuition fees however, would I still be entitled to a maintenance loan for student finance England? Not to mention it would make entry to the medical school much more difficult as an eu than U.K. applicant, so I’m not sure if u want to risk that for no fees anyway.

It’s all very confusing and none of SFE, ScotGov, UK gov or Edinburgh Uni seem to provide a clear answer on their websites or maybe I’ve not looked hard enough.

Can anybody provide some clarity? If I apply in October will I be classed as RUK or SEU? If I’m classed as SEU can I receive a maintenance loan? Can I appeal to be considered RUK instead?

Thanks in advance 🙏
Hey! My name is Kat. I also have a dual nationality, applied to Edinburgh for economics, was classified as a EU applicant, and was rejected. I met the entry requirements (AAA, when they ask for AAA-AAB) and in my opinion had a really good personal statement with extra circulars, debating, essay competitions etc. So I was likely rejected for being half German. To give you some perspective, my dad is half German, so in my UCAS application I had to tick a box saying I have an EU national parent. I have lived in the UK for my entire life, and no not own a German passport, but yet was classed as an EU student. When I had to fill out the survey for Edinburgh, I had to give pictures of my Dads passport (which is German), and my mums and my own (which are both British) but was still classed as an EU student. I did not appeal, but wish I did, but who knows how successful that would have been.

Now onto some actual advice and not just talk about me (lol). If you haven't already found this link from your research, this website https://www.ed.ac.uk/student-recruit...ons-statistics will give you some idea of what the different success rates are for different students. As you can see the success rates are actually pretty similar between the 'rest of UK' and 'EU' (24% and 23% as of 2019) for your course. But there quite a few more applicants for the EU students, but more are accepted. So even though you most probably be defined as an EU student, I would shoot your shot if I were you. I don't think they discriminate against EU students for medicine like they sometimes do. It is really competitive though. If you don't get in, it will be for some other reason

Best wishes and good luck!
Last edited by kattarina; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (220)
33.85%
No (430)
66.15%

Watched Threads