What are your employers doing to aid your progression?

Watch
smartince98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey guys! I'm a Civil Engineering apprentice and have worked in the industry since August 2017. I'm doing a degree apprenticeship, and part of that comes with a requirement of undertaking 20% off the job learning each year. So, one thing my employer is doing to help us achieve that is by hosting 6-weekly group sessions with all degree apprentices to discuss where we are, how we're progressing, projects we're working on etc. Do any of your employers do anything similar? If so, what sort of content do your meetings cover? What would you find could be useful to gain from those meetings, if you're not already having them? Anything will be helpful. I'm trying to aid my employer in making the sessions more engaging and productive, so I'd love to hear your experiences so far. If your employers are taking other approaches to aid your development, what are they doing? Do you find it useful? Thanks everyone!
Chris2892
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I understand what you’re asking a bit better now.

Do any of your employers do anything similar?
Our 20% off the job training is managed by our individual work based mentors. Formal group meetings with line management is the only degree apprentice group meeting we have.

what sort of content do your meetings cover?
Our line manager will discuss conversation with the apprenticeship provider and the university around any changes, actions, or updates to requirements or deadlines.
They will ask for general feedback on the scheme and if we’ve identified any knowledge gaps or issues that may effect said changes/actions/requirements.

The apprentice will have been expected to identify their own knowledge gaps and opportunities to overcome these prior the meeting.

Performance isn’t discussed, instead this is done 121.

What would you find could be useful to gain from those meetings, if you're not already having them?
Line manager approval of training opportunities, and/or line manager actions to improve the quality and effectiveness of the scheme.
—————————— ———
Are you set quantified objectives? We set our own based on our goals for the year/department rotation. These are reviewed by our supervisors and line management (121).

They follow the SMART G&O’s format I.e.
Specific
Measurable
Attainable
Relevant
Time-based
Karisa96
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
At this moment in time nothing owing to the current circumstances.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (279)
33.98%
No (542)
66.02%

Watched Threads