What kind of a level knowledge do you need in Vet Med?

Watch
monoxecho
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, I will not be taking my final exams and will be given a grade by the teachers. But they recommend continuing studying so I don’t forget the stuff I learnt. I don’t want to study unnecessary things and so I would like to know what kind of knowledge I need to take from my a levels if I want to study Vet Med. I study biology, chemistry and maths a level.
ReadingMum
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
you can probably safely drop Ecology related topics, and A level maths is probably beyond anything you will need for vet school since it is not a compulsory subject to take at A level.
Biology of living (animal - I know plants are living) things such as organ functions, muscular/skeletal stuff, circulatory systems, etc is going to be pretty relevant.
Pandagirlx
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
just look on the revision sites
TheWannabeFarmer
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Honestly not really any - the A level requirements are more to see who has the intelligence/motivation to attain grades than subject knowledge within them.

Sure there are the odd bits of biochem but they don't really have major relevance - and its all taught again anyway (as commonly GCSE/A level syllabuses have a tendency to over simplify/blatantly lie about how processes work)

Many people on the course took a few years out between A levels and Uni and non of them were disadvantaged by their forgotten knowledge (myself included) Basic concepts like osmosis and potential gradients is about as far as it goes.

Enjoy your summer the best you can and forget about A levels for now, they're done - only if your predicted/given grade is not high enough should you worry as there will likely be an online test produced for those not happy with predictions.
monoxecho
Rep:
(Original post by monoxecho)
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, I will not be taking my final exams and will be given a grade by the teachers. But they recommend continuing studying so I don’t forget the stuff I learnt. I don’t want to study unnecessary things and so I would like to know what kind of knowledge I need to take from my a levels if I want to study Vet Med. I study biology, chemistry and maths a level.
(Original post by ReadingMum)
you can probably safely drop Ecology related topics, and A level maths is probably beyond anything you will need for vet school since it is not a compulsory subject to take at A level.
Biology of living (animal - I know plants are living) things such as organ functions, muscular/skeletal stuff, circulatory systems, etc is going to be pretty relevant.
what about chemistry topics?
Vetgirl07
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by monoxecho)
what about chemistry topics?
Organic chemistry is probably a safe bet, a lot of biochemistry is linked to it. I’d say equilibrium is quite important too- you get topics like blood buffers in acid base equilibrium. Personally I’m dropping a lot of physical chemistry and I doubt I’m going to need to revise transition metals ever again (which I’m very happy about!)

I think there’s a bit of inorganic that may be involved eg Na+ and K+ ions but I doubt there’s too much from our specifications that we’ll actually need to know!
monoxecho
Rep:
(Original post by Vetgirl07)
Organic chemistry is probably a safe bet, a lot of biochemistry is linked to it. I’d say equilibrium is quite important too- you get topics like blood buffers in acid base equilibrium. Personally I’m dropping a lot of physical chemistry and I doubt I’m going to need to revise transition metals ever again (which I’m very happy about!)

I think there’s a bit of inorganic that may be involved eg Na+ and K+ ions but I doubt there’s too much from our specifications that we’ll actually need to know!
Thanks!
monoxecho
Rep:
(Original post by TheWannabeFarmer)
Honestly not really any - the A level requirements are more to see who has the intelligence/motivation to attain grades than subject knowledge within them.

Sure there are the odd bits of biochem but they don't really have major relevance - and its all taught again anyway (as commonly GCSE/A level syllabuses have a tendency to over simplify/blatantly lie about how processes work)

Many people on the course took a few years out between A levels and Uni and non of them were disadvantaged by their forgotten knowledge (myself included) Basic concepts like osmosis and potential gradients is about as far as it goes.

Enjoy your summer the best you can and forget about A levels for now, they're done - only if your predicted/given grade is not high enough should you worry as there will likely be an online test produced for those not happy with predictions.
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (137)
33.74%
Yes - a trusted person (107)
26.35%
No (110)
27.09%
I'm not sure (52)
12.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed