The Student Room Group

Is doing both business and economics a-level a bad idea?

Poll

Is doing both business and economics a-level a bad idea?

I was thinking about doing both business and economics for a-level but some websites suggest that there is quite a lot of overlap and should be avoided. Should I take both or just one? Also, if I take both of them does it stop me from going to the top universities?
Do Economics. Business is kinda a dumbed-down version of Econ.
Of course, you are not gonna be 'stopped' to go to top uni, provided that you do 4 subjects so you have econ + 2 subjects, and business. If you're doing 3, then not a good chance. It just makes people go, 'uh why?' when they see your subject list.
It's a bad combination. I do economics A-Level and business is seen to universities as the 'btec version' of econ. Some colleges don't allow students to take them together.
Reply 3
Original post by Igotbbcalevel
I was thinking about doing both business and economics for a-level but some websites suggest that there is quite a lot of overlap and should be avoided. Should I take both or just one? Also, if I take both of them does it stop me from going to the top universities?

Not a bad idea to take them together per se, it's just that, like you said, some universities will accept or consider only 1. But its differs from university to university, so ask in the one's you're interested in.
Original post by Igotbbcalevel

The only concern id have is what top unis would think of this (if you are considering them, assuming your considering a subject like: economics, business, management, finance at degree level) if so id probably make sure you take maths as your 3rd subject.

If you are considering unis such as Oxford, UCL, Warwick, Notts, Bristol. I would email the admissions directors and ask there opinion of taking both a-levels.

Quick Reply

Latest