gracef2107
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
due to the cancellation of exams this year, i am rethinking my subject options for s6. this year, the highers i took were chemistry, english, maths, mods and history. just if anyone has any advice on which of these are good advanced highers and how big of a jump it is from higher to ah, i would appreciate.
Advertisement
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
well what career do you and what uni course are you interested in
gracef2107
Rep:
?
(Original post by stereotypeasian)
well what career do you and what uni course are you interested in
not too sure yet, i was thinking maybe law or nursing (very different) but still undecided
Advertisement
stereotypeasian
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gracef2107)
not too sure yet, i was thinking maybe law or nursing (very different) but still undecided
if you have any questions about advanced chemistry - I can answer them, if you would like because this year I took advanced physics and advanced chemistry , crash higher bio and higher psychology and a college course this year
Last edited by stereotypeasian; 1 week ago
vimtovibes
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Advanced Higher English is a good advanced higher to take. It’s quite different to Higher but still similar in some ways. In the exam there are two papers on textual analysis and a literary study. You also do two folio pieces and a dissertation. The course is quite flexible and a lot of the work is done independently. If you are interested in English it is a great one to take. The jump from Higher to Advanced Higher isn’t too big but you are expected to use slightly more complex vocabulary than Higher and the exam questions use more complex words with a narrower focus than Higher. Overall it was a really good course that I would highly recommend
Advertisement
am27
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! I've just finished sixth year and am going to university to study law in September (if the unis are open then 😝). This year I studied Advanced Higher English, Biology and History (dropping Chemistry and Maths after fifth year as I didn't enjoy them as much as the ones I kept on). In terms of the jump between Higher and Advanced, the workload was manageable as you have the ability to work during free periods. I agree with everything that vimtovibes said about English so I won't go into that one, but I can share a bit about History! I didn't find either English or History to be a huge jump from Higher. You may already know that in AH History you only study one topic History (I did Russia which I actually really enjoyed), so I would make sure that you have at least a slight interest in the topic if you know which one your school does. However, I also wouldn't be deterred from the subject if you don't think you'll enjoy the topic, I know people from different schools who said that they started off hating their topic but enjoyed after a few weeks. The source questions are essentially the same as at Higher (an Explain, Two Source and How Fully) but you have to incorporate Historiography (Historians views) into your recall. I found this quite easy as you could just memorise a few quotes for each topic to possibly use in both the essays and the sources, so I wouldn't stress about this. The essays change quite a bit from Higher, as the structure is nowhere near as rigid and the marking is completely different (no set number of marks for knowledge, analysis, etc). At the beginning of the course, I absolutely hated this as I loved knowing where I could pick up the marks at Higher. However once you get used to it, it's a much better way to write and allows you to word arguments in a much more articulate way (good preparation for university) and it's just a much more enjoyable (no essays are enjoyable to write but you get what I mean 😂). The Dissertation seems quite daunting (4,000 words) but if you choose a sub topic that you are interested in it doesn't seem too bad, I even found that 4,000 words wasn't enough to get all my ideas across. Overall, I really enjoyed the course and if you have an interest at Higher, I would 100% recommend going for Advanced Higher. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
gracef2107
Rep:
?
(Original post by vimtovibes)
Advanced Higher English is a good advanced higher to take. It’s quite different to Higher but still similar in some ways. In the exam there are two papers on textual analysis and a literary study. You also do two folio pieces and a dissertation. The course is quite flexible and a lot of the work is done independently. If you are interested in English it is a great one to take. The jump from Higher to Advanced Higher isn’t too big but you are expected to use slightly more complex vocabulary than Higher and the exam questions use more complex words with a narrower focus than Higher. Overall it was a really good course that I would highly recommend
Thank you, very helpful!
Advertisement
gracef2107
Rep:
?
(Original post by am27)
Hi! I've just finished sixth year and am going to university to study law in September (if the unis are open then 😝). This year I studied Advanced Higher English, Biology and History (dropping Chemistry and Maths after fifth year as I didn't enjoy them as much as the ones I kept on). In terms of the jump between Higher and Advanced, the workload was manageable as you have the ability to work during free periods. I agree with everything that vimtovibes said about English so I won't go into that one, but I can share a bit about History! I didn't find either English or History to be a huge jump from Higher. You may already know that in AH History you only study one topic History (I did Russia which I actually really enjoyed), so I would make sure that you have at least a slight interest in the topic if you know which one your school does. However, I also wouldn't be deterred from the subject if you don't think you'll enjoy the topic, I know people from different schools who said that they started off hating their topic but enjoyed after a few weeks. The source questions are essentially the same as at Higher (an Explain, Two Source and How Fully) but you have to incorporate Historiography (Historians views) into your recall. I found this quite easy as you could just memorise a few quotes for each topic to possibly use in both the essays and the sources, so I wouldn't stress about this. The essays change quite a bit from Higher, as the structure is nowhere near as rigid and the marking is completely different (no set number of marks for knowledge, analysis, etc). At the beginning of the course, I absolutely hated this as I loved knowing where I could pick up the marks at Higher. However once you get used to it, it's a much better way to write and allows you to word arguments in a much more articulate way (good preparation for university) and it's just a much more enjoyable (no essays are enjoyable to write but you get what I mean 😂). The Dissertation seems quite daunting (4,000 words) but if you choose a sub topic that you are interested in it doesn't seem too bad, I even found that 4,000 words wasn't enough to get all my ideas across. Overall, I really enjoyed the course and if you have an interest at Higher, I would 100% recommend going for Advanced Higher. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask!
Thank you, this really helped!
Anonymous856
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Advanced Higher English was enjoyable for me; It felt easygoing and relaxed. (Then again, there was only around 10 people!) I wouldn’t say it was a massive leap from higher in terms of effort and essays. There was definitely a lot more reading though!
Advertisement
gracef2107
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous856)
Advanced Higher English was enjoyable for me; It felt easygoing and relaxed. (Then again, there was only around 10 people!) I wouldn’t say it was a massive leap from higher in terms of effort and essays. There was definitely a lot more reading though!
okay, thank you so much
Nara_shortcake31
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by gracef2107)
due to the cancellation of exams this year, i am rethinking my subject options for s6. this year, the highers i took were chemistry, english, maths, mods and history. just if anyone has any advice on which of these are good advanced highers and how big of a jump it is from higher to ah, i would appreciate.
Well I would definitely recommend taking advanced higher english & chemistry and then do a crash higher physics or biology. These subjects should open doors to both your career paths nursing and law.

If you were wondering:

Nursing requires 2 sciences subjects at higher
grades:AABB-ABBBB

Law requires Higher English and some Uni's require a humanities subject
You need to complete the LNAT for some Uni's
grades: AABBB (Can vary from Uni, do check it out tho)

In terms of the jump, the thing I tell everyone is: The jump will be as big as you make it.

Yes there will be a jump but it's very manageable if you put your mind to it. 6th year isn't a skive and if you put in the hardwork and dedication from day 1 everything should be fine. Start from day 1, complete all your homework, go over it while it's fresh, make notes as you, get your assignments out of the way so you maximise study time, work on your projects (Investigations,dissertations, folios etc) throughout the year and remain positive, if you have the attitude " I can't do it, I am giving up" Then you can't do it and the work will give up on you, keep trying and try your best. School isn't hard if you don't make it hard. Lastly, be happy, at the end of the day your happiness is the most important. Now I am only in 3rd year away to be 4th year but I know tonnes of people that are and were in 5th and 6th year and I have seen how much they suffered because they took 6th year as a skive etc.

From your subjects you can go to either career and the suggestions that I have given shud help as well if you are undecided on what course you want to go or if you have chosen then with the given info you can see what subjects would be useful. Hope it helped you.
Advertisement
gracef2107
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Nara_shortcake31)
Well I would definitely recommend taking advanced higher english & chemistry and then do a crash higher physics or biology. These subjects should open doors to both your career paths nursing and law.

If you were wondering:

Nursing requires 2 sciences subjects at higher
grades:AABB-ABBBB

Law requires Higher English and some Uni's require a humanities subject
You need to complete the LNAT for some Uni's
grades: AABBB (Can vary from Uni, do check it out tho)

In terms of the jump, the thing I tell everyone is: The jump will be as big as you make it.

Yes there will be a jump but it's very manageable if you put your mind to it. 6th year isn't a skive and if you put in the hardwork and dedication from day 1 everything should be fine. Start from day 1, complete all your homework, go over it while it's fresh, make notes as you, get your assignments out of the way so you maximise study time, work on your projects (Investigations,dissertations, folios etc) throughout the year and remain positive, if you have the attitude " I can't do it, I am giving up" Then you can't do it and the work will give up on you, keep trying and try your best. School isn't hard if you don't make it hard. Lastly, be happy, at the end of the day your happiness is the most important. Now I am only in 3rd year away to be 4th year but I know tonnes of people that are and were in 5th and 6th year and I have seen how much they suffered because they took 6th year as a skive etc.

From your subjects you can go to either career and the suggestions that I have given shud help as well if you are undecided on what course you want to go or if you have chosen then with the given info you can see what subjects would be useful. Hope it helped you.
Thank you, big help!
HarisMalik98
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 minutes ago
It does obviously depend on what you want to do after school; however I imagine law (being competitive) would look at advanced higher results as well so I definitely advise doing them. If you decide to do nursing I think it would look good to have higher biology too (did you do it at national 5?). I have only looked at Glasgow University's LLB programme but they have this:

"S6 standard entry requirements: AAAA and Advanced Highers at BB cumulative grade requirement for S6 offer holders."
AND
"Applicants with conditional offers based on S6 results are encouraged to study Advanced Highers in Arts or Social Science subjects."

So I would recommend doing 2 advanced highers, and based on what they're saying I would advise English and Mods/History. As well as this I would recommend doing higher biology as it would look good on a nursing application. So that would be my recommendation for the core subjects, and if you feel you want to study other ones then thats even better, however obviously the more subjects you study the less time you take away trying to get those two AH Bs.

From the above replies it seems that English and History seem to be good AHs to take anyway.

I never actually studied English or History at AH so I can't comment on them, but if you wish to study other AHs I did study Maths and Chemistry so I can write a bit about them:

For AH Maths - In my opinion the jump from Higher to Advanced Higher in Maths is small, especially compared to the jump from nat 5 to higher. If you do well at higher level then im almost certain you'll do well at AH. Half the course is expanding on differentiation and Integration methods. There are some more challenging topics, but the majority of new topics aren't significantly harder than topics at Higher level. Plus theres no wacky stories in the exam to confuse you, its just pure maths. Doing past papers is by far the best revision tool - and you will easily grasp the concepts by doing this.

For AH Chemistry - In terms of content, it's different from higher. Theres an introduction of new fields within chemistry (as opposed to expanding knowledge within basic fields like higher compared to national 5). However, in terms of difficulty, I wouldn't say its any bigger than the jump from Nat 5 to Higher. There's a lot more calculations involved in advanced higher, however, so if you don't feel confident with calculations then you might struggle initially. However doing past papers will develop the necessary 'muscle memory' to become proficient at these, as they start to become repetitive (just with different values). Some aspects of the course can be initially hard to wrap your head around but overall it is an interesting course. Unit 1 starts of quite physics based; atomic chemistry - but then leads on to more chemical-based topics like transition metals, kinetics and equilibrium. Unit 2 is the organic unit, but instead of learning endless types of series, you begin to learn reaction mechanisms, as well as molecular shapes and stereo-chemistry. Unit 3 is all about learning the different types of experimental procedures and how they work. Chemistry also requires an investigation, which can take up time in terms of extra workload. However, from what im aware of - investigations tend to score highly so I wouldn't look at it as a hindrance.
Advertisement
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (297)
34.18%
No (572)
65.82%

Watched Threads