NunoAlberto
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Good afternoon,
I am a portuguese student and I have received offers from these unis to study Computer Science. The University of Bristol do not offer the opportunity to have a placement year, something that I would like to hear your opinion about. In adittion to this, I would like to hear your opinions about these unis and their respective cities, lifestyles and job prospects (mainly in the UK and other similar countries like USA, Australia and Canada). Thank you in advance.
Stef1234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have visited both Birmingham and Bristol, so I cannot really say anything on behalf of Nottingham. But I chose Bristol over Birmingham for a couple of reasons:

- I love old building and cities with a historic centre. Birmingham is quite a new industrial city. It has a couple of nice beautiful buildings but the city is not filled with them. While Bristol, certainly around the uni, has some very old cute English type buildings. Also the uni itself looks older. While Birmingham has more of an American state university feel to it with lots of modern facilities, Bristol kind of has a campus with mansions where smaller departments are placed and larger buildings for the libraries and bigger departments. Bristol also has the Wills Memorial building which is just beautiful and based on oxbridge architecture.

- I think that both universities are equally involved in student activities so there’s not really a big difference.

- You can walk from the University of Bristol to the city centre, while at the University of Birmingham that’s not possible, you have to take a 5 min train.

- it’s cheaper to live around the uni of Birmingham and it’s also easier to find accommodation (when you don’t get it through uni, but both uni’s provide housing for their first years).

- on international world rankings Bristol is higher ranked than Birmingham. But both are Russel Group uni’s, so very good uni’s.

It depends on what you’re looking for in a university. Basically if you are looking for a uni with a campus where everyone lives and a big patch of grass in the middle with an American college feel to it, go for Birmingham

If you would like to be surrounded with old buildings and don’t mind cycling or walking a bit further to uni and like being in a more hipster city festival type place, with easy access to a city centre, go for Bristol.

I chose Bristol over Birmingham because it was just more for me. In the end I ended up going with another uni when I received more offers.

But I would highly recommend visiting all three universities if possible, so that you can figure out where you feel at home.
NunoAlberto
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stef1234)
I have visited both Birmingham and Bristol, so I cannot really say anything on behalf of Nottingham. But I chose Bristol over Birmingham for a couple of reasons:

- I love old building and cities with a historic centre. Birmingham is quite a new industrial city. It has a couple of nice beautiful buildings but the city is not filled with them. While Bristol, certainly around the uni, has some very old cute English type buildings. Also the uni itself looks older. While Birmingham has more of an American state university feel to it with lots of modern facilities, Bristol kind of has a campus with mansions where smaller departments are placed and larger buildings for the libraries and bigger departments. Bristol also has the Wills Memorial building which is just beautiful and based on oxbridge architecture.

- I think that both universities are equally involved in student activities so there’s not really a big difference.

- You can walk from the University of Bristol to the city centre, while at the University of Birmingham that’s not possible, you have to take a 5 min train.

- it’s cheaper to live around the uni of Birmingham and it’s also easier to find accommodation (when you don’t get it through uni, but both uni’s provide housing for their first years).

- on international world rankings Bristol is higher ranked than Birmingham. But both are Russel Group uni’s, so very good uni’s.

It depends on what you’re looking for in a university. Basically if you are looking for a uni with a campus where everyone lives and a big patch of grass in the middle with an American college feel to it, go for Birmingham

If you would like to be surrounded with old buildings and don’t mind cycling or walking a bit further to uni and like being in a more hipster city festival type place, with easy access to a city centre, go for Bristol.

I chose Bristol over Birmingham because it was just more for me. In the end I ended up going with another uni when I received more offers.

But I would highly recommend visiting all three universities if possible, so that you can figure out where you feel at home.
Is Bristol noticeable better, regarding job prospects and prestige, than Birmingham?
Stef1234
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by NunoAlberto)
Is Bristol noticeable better, regarding job prospects and prestige, than Birmingham?

Prestige and ranking are all very relative. All three universities are part of the prestigious Russel Group, which means that they belong to the best unis in the UK and are research heavy. I have looked up the rankings for all three of your universities, but I wouldn’t base my decision solely on these rankings. I would definitely recommend that you look into the courses you have offers for and figure out which one you prefer. You can also try to find out what research your future professors are involved in, and see if that interests you too, as professors are more likely to teach something they find interesting, but then again, the core and optional modules will probably show that too. I find the find the top two rankings the most trust worthy. You can also look up on what data these websites base their rankings. Maybe one of those bases it on things you personally find important.

QS world rankings:
49 - Bristol
81 - Birmingham
96 - Nottingham

The times higher education world rankings:
87 - Bristol
112 - Birmingham
152 - Nottingham

The guardian UK ranking:
16 - Birmingham
18 - Nottingham
23 - Bristol

The complete university guide UK rankings:
13 - Birmingham
16 - Bristol
19 - Nottingham

US news world rankings:
81 - Bristol
96 - Birmingham
152 - Nottingham
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by NunoAlberto)
Job prospects:
I doubt there is anything in it really, how much time you spend building your CV will matter more. Nottingham & Bristol are always in the highfiers guide of top employable unis.

Prestige:
Again quite close between them but Nottingham & Bristol are a nose ahead of Birmingham.
NunoAlberto
Rep:
?
Can anyone help me? I really need to make my mind
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (298)
34.17%
No (574)
65.83%

Watched Threads