The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

anyone done student transfer for summer ?
What kind of reference does Tesco supply? Is it just a factual reference i.e. the dates you worked or do they give a personal reference?
Hello,

I've been working at Tesco for 10 days now, of course with a flexi contract and I'm wondering how does the over time work.
I mean, by contract i should work 22 hours per week, but in fact last week I worked more than 8 hours per day.
They gave me a letter with the Store ID, a welcome letter and a letter with the standard pay per week (pretty confused to be honest, I read that I CAN'T work more than 36.5 hours per week but in fact I worked more than 43 hours).
How they pay overtime? I read that they pay just the overtime that you did until 8 days before your payday, the overtime after that day will be paid in the next payroll, is that right?
Also I work at night and Sundays, should be an extra like 1.5 enchance pay on Sunday (I read it somewhere, they didn't tell me that), but I still don't understand the extra for the nights.. (in the letter I read something about an extra for the hours that you work after midnight and also an extra for your shifts that start before midnight and finish after six)

I'm very confused about that, please can someone light my way?

If someone is wondering, my pay rate is 8,50 until midnight, after midnight is 9 :biggrin:
(edited 5 years ago)
Had an interview at a big Tesco extra the other day and I'm feeling good about it. They said there's like 20 jobs going, and I was pleased with the interview.

The store is about a 15 min bus or a 45 min walk which is fine (if I get the job). I'm hoping to put in as much overtime as possible over the summer and then do one or two shifts a week during the semester, like 5-10 hours. I'm mostly okay for rent and food but a few shifts would top up my loan, reduce stress a bit etc

Sounds sad but I'm actually moving to a flat above another Tesco (a metro) at the end of the month for next academic year

What are the chances of getting a job at the extra over the summer, working loads, then putting a transfer request for the metro during the year? Then I can just go upstairs after my shift if I'm doing an evening etc
hey I have applied for a twilight customer assistant at tesco. i havent got an interview yet but im trying to be hopeful as i really need a job and even Mcdonalds rejected me after interview, any tips or advice would be appreciated please

thank you
Hey guys I am wondering if I could get some advice. I have not signed a contract with Tesco and I have been working there for 2 or 3 weeks now, I haven't received anything in the post. I requested at my interview how I needed certain days off due to holiday etc, and reminded them closer to the date about it, I was told it was fine by my manager. Now however, for the second day I need off which is tomorrow, they are saying that I have to come in which I obviously cannot do. I am confused of what to do in this situation, I messaged my manager who stated that I would need to come in, going against what was said at the interview and when I wrote the letter.What right do I have here? Am I in the wrong, what can I say to avoid any conflict or problems? Thanks
I've got an interview for a temp. 8 hour saturday job at a tescos superstore near me - I was wondering whether there would likely to be a lot of overtime available? I'm hoping to do loads more hours once college is finished for the summer.
Original post by peacheyroses
I've got an interview for a temp. 8 hour saturday job at a tescos superstore near me - I was wondering whether there would likely to be a lot of overtime available? I'm hoping to do loads more hours once college is finished for the summer.

do you know what department you are going to be working in should you get the job?
If your store has a dotcom department then they are the best place to get overtime in- i work in dotcom and there is always overtime and always people from outside our department who come to do some overtime every now and then, next best department would be checkouts for overtime. dotcom shifts tend to start at 6am though and last for around 4-6 hours
Original post by tgwktm
do you know what department you are going to be working in should you get the job?
If your store has a dotcom department then they are the best place to get overtime in- i work in dotcom and there is always overtime and always people from outside our department who come to do some overtime every now and then, next best department would be checkouts for overtime. dotcom shifts tend to start at 6am though and last for around 4-6 hours

the job would be working in checkouts :smile:
Original post by peacheyroses
the job would be working in checkouts :smile:

okay, then in that case you should find plenty
What is Tesco's absence policy like?

I have worked around 102 shifts so far and I have missed 3 consecutive days due to illness.

Do they give any warnings for absences if it's your first time?
Original post by ineedtorevise127
What is Tesco's absence policy like?

I have worked around 102 shifts so far and I have missed 3 consecutive days due to illness.

Do they give any warnings for absences if it's your first time?

There is a 3% threshold. So you're likely to get an AR meeting. No biggie.
If you've kindaaaa forgot your checkout login, the people at checkouts can find it for you?
I applied for a job at Tesco and had an interview Friday night as i applied for night shifts. I got the job on the spot and i have little experience and wasnt asked for references. I had my induction yesterday and i start on Friday :biggrin:
Original post by Byeeeeeeeee
Wanted to ask what the cooling off period was to reapply to the same tesco store you got dismissed from. I got dismissed last month for misuse of privilege card, but I have now come across a phone shop vacancy online in that same store? Do you think it’s highly unlikely for me to work there even if I’m honest with the interviewer? Thanks :smile:

I'm pretty sure that once you are dismissed from Tesco, you cannot work again in any other Tesco store?

How exactly did you mis-use your card?
Tesco is doing very badly nowadays well below Lidl and Aldi. If Tesco and Sainburys do not wake up in time they will suffer the same fate as House of Fraser.
I have an interview with them on Thursday for the Trolley porter job do you know what question I can expect for this?
What's the hourly rate of pay? Does it start off at minimum wage?
Original post by skljfhakjf
What's the hourly rate of pay? Does it start off at minimum wage?

£8.02, going up to £8.18 and then £8.42 by November

New starters get a little less (£7 something) for 3 months I believe
Did anyone else have trouble finding a student transfer ??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending