The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

reddisy
Hey,

I am just wondering if anyone has done the driving assessment for .com because I am currently getting multiskilled (Checkouts, Garage, Kiosk etc.) and they've asked me if I want to do .com driving.
I'm not very good at reversing, so was just wondering what the assessment was like cus if there's a lot of reversing, i'll need to have some practise lol

Thanks.

I'm not sure, but speak to your Dot.Com manager or one of the drivers already in store...they'll be bale to tell you!
Reply 281
RealCrazyBliter
Got a letter through me door this morning, thought it was the standard rejection letter I've grown used to now but no. I've passed the first stage of the process but theirs no vacancies at the minute so am being kept on file.

So quite pleased with that, could be said-it's no different to a rejection letter-just their drawing the process out longer but... I'm an optimist.

Interesting, I got a letter saying their was no vacancies this morning, but it just says good luck in your current job search :confused: :frown:
Reply 282
It's a standard Tesco tactic called 'talent banking'. They will conduct interviews even if there are no vacancies with the view that with the very high labour turnover in the company, a position will either open up during the process or in the few weeks after the candidate is 'accepted'.
Reply 283
I've applied for the a-level option programme and have a telephone interview next week. I was just wondering what sort of questions will be asked?
Reply 284
sazwhin
I've applied for the a-level option programme and have a telephone interview next week. I was just wondering what sort of questions will be asked?

Research the Tesco leadership framework, as all questions will relate to this.
Reply 285
thanks i'll do that
Ubiquitous
Research the Tesco leadership framework, as all questions will relate to this.

Once you get onto the programme you'll never have your head out of it (I always seem to be referring to it)
Hey everyone. I have an interview on Tuesday for a job on the checkouts in Tesco. It's at 4pm so i'll have to get out of school early to make it down in time.

My problem is that I don't know whether to leave earlier and go home and change into a normal shirt and trousers, or would I just go in my uniform (which is a shirt, trousers and tie too), and just explain to them that I didn't have time to change.

On one hand, it could show me as if i couldn't be arsed to prepare for it. But it could make me stand out and help me. Does anyone have any advice? ???
Reply 288
GavinMcG91
Hey everyone. I have an interview on Tuesday for a job on the checkouts in Tesco. It's at 4pm so i'll have to get out of school early to make it down in time.

My problem is that I don't know whether to leave earlier and go home and change into a normal shirt and trousers, or would I just go in my uniform (which is a shirt, trousers and tie too), and just explain to them that I didn't have time to change.

On one hand, it could show me as if i couldn't be arsed to prepare for it. But it could make me stand out and help me. Does anyone have any advice? ???

Personally I would go home and change, nothing too formal maybe a smart-casual shirt, like you said if you didn't it could look like you haven't bothered. I'm not sure how being in your school uniform would help you much other then them saying "oh yeah, he was the kid in the school uniform" when they're talking about you later lol
If it looks like a school uniform, then change. If it's a uniform that's just a white shirt and black trousers, you'll be fine as you are.
I think I plan on working in England at tesco over the summer. Is there anyway I can apply online since I'm in the US right now? Also what sort of pay do they give for night shift?
No, they don't do online applications as far as I know. And the pay will depend on the store you work in. I think it's time and a half for night shift, or was when I joined, so it depends on what your store pays in the first place.
Tesco do not have online applications for Customer Assisstant roles. If you work between 10pm and 6am then you will qualify for night premium. There is one premium from 22:00 - 00:00 and a second from 00:00 - 06:00 this is paid on top of the basic hourly rate (which varies depending upon the format of store you work in i.e. express, metro, superstore, extra)
Reply 293
I'm currently a customer assitant at my local store and I haven't been there long, but after a while I'd like to start seeing about how I can move up the ladder.

Before I worked there I always wanted to work in a Pharmacy but none would take me as I had no experience, is there a way I can get to work in a Tesco Pharmacy now that I work for Tesco? I know there's an options programme but I'm not completely sure what that is and I really don't want to have to go to university.

Failing that, what's the career ladder for a customer assistant? Would the next step be team leader?
Cy4nide
I'm currently a customer assitant at my local store and I haven't been there long, but after a while I'd like to start seeing about how I can move up the ladder.

Before I worked there I always wanted to work in a Pharmacy but none would take me as I had no experience, is there a way I can get to work in a Tesco Pharmacy now that I work for Tesco? I know there's an options programme but I'm not completely sure what that is and I really don't want to have to go to university.

Failing that, what's the career ladder for a customer assistant? Would the next step be team leader?

Options is Tesco's in house management training programme. I'm currently on the Line Manager's Options Programme (meaning I'm working my way towards becoming a Line Manager). From Customer Assistant you can progress straight to Line Manager or you can become a Team Leader first and then work towards Line Manager (I became a Team Leader before going for Options). The programme is demanding, but quips you with all the skills and knowledge you need to perform in your role. Once you've been signed off as a Line Manager and have experience you can go back onto options to become a Senior Manager.

As for working in the Pharmacy, those jobs are hard to come by and are most often filled by Pharmacy students (who often hold onto them until they are ready to go on to their pre-reg year). If your store has a pharmacy then speak to the pharmacy manager about it.

If you've got any questions about becoming a Team Leader or the Line Manager Options programme then please feel free to PM me and I'll be more than happy to answer!
Reply 295
Does anyone know if you have to be 18 to be an online shopper/picker in Tescos? I think I saw on the Sainsburys website that you have to be 18, but I dont know if thats the case with Tescos.

x
Reply 296
how old do you have to be to work on the kiosk?
Anyone know anything about working on the petrol station? I'm coming back from my career break and that's all they can offer me. It sounds a bit boring to me, but I suppose it's better than nothing!
Joanna May
Anyone know anything about working on the petrol station? I'm coming back from my career break and that's all they can offer me. It sounds a bit boring to me, but I suppose it's better than nothing!

Never worked in the PFS, but everyone in ours seems to be happy and jobs that open up tend to get filled much quicker than other jobs in the store.
Reply 299
I've been told that it's non-stop as opposed to in-store checkouts where it is quite common to get 'waves' of customers rather than a constant stream. I think people quite like working in the petrol station but the petrol vouchers appear to be a pain for them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending