The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
Maikeeh, how long did it take for them to get back to you after application was sent off/vacancy closed? Thanks.
Reply 601
Original post by TSGMatt
Maikeeh, how long did it take for them to get back to you after application was sent off/vacancy closed? Thanks.

Hi. :smile: I sent off my application on a Monday and got a phone call on the Wednesday. I think maybe each Tesco does things slightly differently - I never actually received confirmation that they got my application!

Did you and your brother both fill in the same answers to the A, B, C questions? If not, maybe he failed that part and got an automatic email telling him so, whereas they're spending longer considering the rest of your application since you passed it? Just a hunch!
Original post by TSGMatt
I just had to fill in all my personal details, what hours I could work, if there were any special requirements, references and then there were about 17-18 questions where you had to choose either A, B or C as answers - first app where I didn't have to write answers to questions such as "Why do you want to work here?". I'm guessing that's because they ask you it in the interview.

I'm not sure what's happening with my app, my brother got reply next day saying he was unsuccessful but I haven't heard a thing. I know they say if you don't hear anything within 2 weeks let us know but most people seem to get a reply within the first few days - hopefully will get a call/email letting me know outcome by next week, frustrating sitting by phone all day.

My application was all that minus those obscure "least likely/most likely" questions. The manager said that they were not useful and ended up meaning they didn't always get the right people back in for the interview. Makes sense to me.

Original post by Maikeeh
I had a Tesco "Group Assessment Day" earlier this week.

There were about eight of us and to start with we all had to sit around a table and introduce ourselves - just a few lines like "hi I'm X and I'm X years old... I'm currently doing X...". Then we were given some questions to discuss as a group, such as "what is customer service?" and "what makes an effective team?". After this we were all taken out to the shop floor and asked to do some shelf-stacking. One by one we were taken for a short individual interview which mostly consisted of going through when you could work, what times you could work, what your preference would be if you didn't get the job you applied for etc. Luckily I never got asked any "tell me a time when..." questions!

In total I was there for just under two hours. As long as you're polite and get involved in the discussion I'm sure you'll be fine! Good luck :smile:

Edit: Just realised you will already have had the interview by now. Hopefully this will be of use to someone else!

Thanks for the reply anyway! I basically had exactly the same as you.

There were 5 of us around a table and we all introduced ourselves briefly, got told a bit about the job (which turned out to be grocery picking for dotcom drivers btw - not what I applied for but sounds better to be honest!). They then asked 5 questions, mainly to do with teamwork and customer service where they were looking for us to provide key words. Then there was a quick 1-2-1 where they basically asked a few questions about availability and made sure we understood everything.

I was only nervous until we all sat down, then it was all relaxed and reasonably informal. I quite liked it. They said we'll get a decision after next week - either phone call to get us in for a 30 minute or so trial, or a letter of rejection.

They said the pay is 6.78 p/hr then goes up to 7.15 p/hr after a year. I was expecting like 6.30 so I was very pleasantly surprised!

Anyway, it went well and I enjoyed it but there were 5 of us and I don't know how many positions available so I guess I'll find out more the week after next!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 603
Original post by Maikeeh
Hi. :smile: I sent off my application on a Monday and got a phone call on the Wednesday. I think maybe each Tesco does things slightly differently - I never actually received confirmation that they got my application!

Did you and your brother both fill in the same answers to the A, B, C questions? If not, maybe he failed that part and got an automatic email telling him so, whereas they're spending longer considering the rest of your application since you passed it? Just a hunch!

He applied for a grocery assistant and mine was for checkouts. I checked his answers and they were completely different to mine. He got an email the next day saying they would not be taking his app any further, while I've only received a receipt of my application and have had nothing more.

I sent it off Sunday evening and the position closed on Tuesday, so thinking about it it's only the 3rd day after it closed, but everyone seems to get a call within a couple of days - my guess is they are either getting around to doing it or will ignore it and wont get back to me as I'm 16 and applied for a position for checkouts at a Metro store, but there was nothing about age :s-smilie:
Reply 604
Haven't a clue at the moment, I'm sure it's above minimum wage though - have heard of a 17 year old working at Metro earning over £7 but I think they'll discuss it at interview - if I get one eventually :biggrin: Was thinking of ringing on say Tuesday to check on progress if they haven't got back in touch, but probably wont help?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 605
This has been pretty helpful, thanks guys! I have my interview on Tuesday afternoon for a Glasgow Tesco Extra. It's for a 'price integrity assistant'. I HATE group interviews so hopefully there is only about 5 of us as that's a bit easier to deal with than 8! I'm so bad at jumping into group discussion :frown:
Reply 606
Original post by Dangerous Theory
Damn, nobody? :frown:

I currently work for tesco in the Dudley store, i work on the technology department but we are combined with the phone shop and the direct desk.

This department is completely unique to Tesco and while each of these departments exist individually, it has never been done as a combined unit before and has only existed in the company for about 8 months.

while my initial interview with the company was not for this department i did go through the group interview phase and then also a 1 to 1 interview carried out the same day. the group interview was mainly concerned with group discussion and you are judged on how much you input to the conversation and the quality of your answers. you will then be taken to a 1 to 1 interview where you will discuss you potential role more in detail and you may also be asked to come back for a work sample for about an hour or so.

if you have any more questions about the direct desk or anything like feel free to ask and also before you ask i cant remember the questions from the interview stage since it has been 5 years since ive had that interview :P
Original post by shadow788
I currently work for tesco in the Dudley store, i work on the technology department but we are combined with the phone shop and the direct desk.

This department is completely unique to Tesco and while each of these departments exist individually, it has never been done as a combined unit before and has only existed in the company for about 8 months.

while my initial interview with the company was not for this department i did go through the group interview phase and then also a 1 to 1 interview carried out the same day. the group interview was mainly concerned with group discussion and you are judged on how much you input to the conversation and the quality of your answers. you will then be taken to a 1 to 1 interview where you will discuss you potential role more in detail and you may also be asked to come back for a work sample for about an hour or so.

if you have any more questions about the direct desk or anything like feel free to ask and also before you ask i cant remember the questions from the interview stage since it has been 5 years since ive had that interview :P

Thanks for the reply, but the interview ended up being for grocery picking haha. Had no idea prior, but from what I've heard it sounds like a fair job. Just gotta wait till week after next for the verdict!

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9300
(edited 11 years ago)
Update: got a call today saying they want me in Monday for a work trial. Seems they decided not to wait!! :smile: I am apparenty one of two out of the initial 5 of us.
Reply 609
Good job DT :smile: Update from me: got an email saying my app is on hold while they organise interviews - a lot happier :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TSGMatt
Good job DT :smile: Update from me: got an email saying my app is on hold while they organise interviews - a lot happier :smile:

Sounds promising. I have an induction tomorrow then start work next Wednesday. Cannot wait tbh, I've been so bored!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
I had my tesco interview today working in the Grocery department, I think it went well, it was a one on one interview that lasted about 20 minutes, then I got showed around by the Warehouse manager, basically just showing me what time they restock the most popular items (1pm) and how they stack the items.

They told me there is an induction on saturday and that I should hear from them before then, so I hope its positive
Reply 612
Hi guys, I need some advice.

I was successful in my group interview yesterday and they phoned me today asking me to do an hours sample work to see if I suit the job.

Just wondering whether I need to bring my passport and NI no. along to this?

Also what should I expect?

Many thanks.
Original post by -ellis
Hi guys, I need some advice.

I was successful in my group interview yesterday and they phoned me today asking me to do an hours sample work to see if I suit the job.

Just wondering whether I need to bring my passport and NI no. along to this?

Also what should I expect?

Many thanks.

They should already have photocopied those but if they haven't then you may as well take em along.

Reply 614
Still no reply - but got interview with Sainsburys - may not be as much pay but a jobs a job!
Got a phonecall today saying I was successful and that my induction is tomorrow, any idea of what I should wear? Or should I wear something similar to what I wore on my interview? (Trousers, shoes, shirt, tie)
Reply 616
Got a phonecall yesterday inviting me to an interview today. Interview went well and as soon as she had finished interviewing me she offered me a job on the customer service desk! :biggrin: Anyone else working on the customer service desk at tesco?
Original post by Lintu93
Got a phonecall yesterday inviting me to an interview today. Interview went well and as soon as she had finished interviewing me she offered me a job on the customer service desk! :biggrin: Anyone else working on the customer service desk at tesco?

No but i believe they are payed more than other standard roles

Hi. I have an interview tomorrow for a dot com delivery job. Just wondering if anyone knows what the interview consists of? Same as for an in-store role (group interview then individual)? Any help would be great, thanks.
Reply 619
Hi, the interview is firstly a Group interview with 6-8 people being given a series of questions by a member of staff and you discuss as a group. Try to answer as positively and for as long as you can as they take notes marking down what they think of your replies, etc.
Next they will take 3-4 of you onto the shop floor and show you how to stack shelves,bringing stock from the rear of the shelf to the front of the shelf.
Then you will have your one to one interview and thats it!
They will get in touch if you are successful for your driving assessment and if you get that call you have the job!
Hourly rate of pay is £7.13 an hour i believe.
Good Luck

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending