The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SheLikeTheMango
Ahh man, really wanted to work in the summer :frown:

What is the induction? Interview?

No I had interview on 7th July then had to wait for right to work checks got offered the job on 23rd induction is where u watch health and safety videos & learn about the job.
Original post by hayley88
No I had interview on 7th July then had to wait for right to work checks got offered the job on 23rd induction is where u watch health and safety videos & learn about the job.

Oh so you got your interview 3 days after? That's not too bad then. Have they given you a date when you start to work?
Oh so you got your interview 3 days after? That's not too bad then. Have they given you a date when you start to work?

Yes they rang me the same day I applied for an interview but some stores may take a bit longer, no not yet hopefully I will find out at my induction
Are you liking the job at tesco? And if you're still in sixth form, are you going to keep the job throughout the school year?

I love the job. I'm in stock control so I do things like reducing tomorrow's date produce, throw away out of date produce, date scan weighted/loose items to let other departments restock and such... Plus a load of other stuff, it's not the most fun, but it isn't hard or physically demanding. What I like most about the job is the people I work with though, everyone and I mean everyone is so nice and talkative.

It's funny though, my manager has pretty much chosen his staff based on what he did, so everyone within stock control is doing or has done something within computing and/ or mathematics. So everyone in my department has something in common with each other! So bonus points there.

The only thing I don't like about the job is rude customers, you'll get them a lot, especially if you work on checkouts (I'm not till trained yet, but my colleagues have told me to avoid being trained on the tills as they always need people on the tills; and it's one of the more boring jobs as your stuck in the same place for hours.

I have one more year of school before university, so I will be carrying it on. Currently my shifts are Thursday and Friday 5-9 (PM) and Saturday 5-9:30 (PM), so none of the shifts are during school times and if they were I'm sure I'd be able to change some around. One of the great things about Tesco is that they will try and transfer you to a store near your university when you go, so long that there is vacancies, so I'll probably try and work during university too.

If you have any more questions though, I'd be happy to try and answer!
Original post by kbkasey
I love the job. I'm in stock control so I do things like reducing tomorrow's date produce, throw away out of date produce, date scan weighted/loose items to let other departments restock and such... Plus a load of other stuff, it's not the most fun, but it isn't hard or physically demanding. What I like most about the job is the people I work with though, everyone and I mean everyone is so nice and talkative.

It's funny though, my manager has pretty much chosen his staff based on what he did, so everyone within stock control is doing or has done something within computing and/ or mathematics. So everyone in my department has something in common with each other! So bonus points there.

The only thing I don't like about the job is rude customers, you'll get them a lot, especially if you work on checkouts (I'm not till trained yet, but my colleagues have told me to avoid being trained on the tills as they always need people on the tills; and it's one of the more boring jobs as your stuck in the same place for hours.

I have one more year of school before university, so I will be carrying it on. Currently my shifts are Thursday and Friday 5-9 (PM) and Saturday 5-9:30 (PM), so none of the shifts are during school times and if they were I'm sure I'd be able to change some around. One of the great things about Tesco is that they will try and transfer you to a store near your university when you go, so long that there is vacancies, so I'll probably try and work during university too.

If you have any more questions though, I'd be happy to try and answer!

What is the exact title of your job? There are two openings which are suitable for me, one Checkouts and the other is Counters. I would like to avoid the rude customers but if i was on checkouts, i'd probably be able to get through it anyway. Your job sounds more fun that checkouts, I hope 'Counters' is what you're job is :smile:

I have actually mentioned in my cv that i have strong computing and maths skills so the manager would take those into account like you mentioned?

Im also moving into Year 13 and I want to keep it during year 13 and at university. How are tesco like with study leave?

Another question, if you dont mind saying, what is your pay per hour?
What is the exact title of your job? There are two openings which are suitable for me, one Checkouts and the other is Counters. I would like to avoid the rude customers but if i was on checkouts, i'd probably be able to get through it anyway. Your job sounds more fun that checkouts, I hope 'Counters' is what you're job is :smile:

I have actually mentioned in my cv that i have strong computing and maths skills so the manager would take those into account like you mentioned?

Im also moving into Year 13 and I want to keep it during year 13 and at university. How are tesco like with study leave?

Another question, if you dont mind saying, what is your pay per hour?

My job title is just 'customer assistant', pretty much everyone's is unless you are a team leader or manager, then you get that role for the specific department. (I think there's a different name for the F&F workers though). That's also what it said when I applied on the website. In stock control, part of the job is to count stock, believe it or not! So it could mean that you would be a part of stock control, on Sundays they get lots of staff in to count every single item in the store too. But I'm not 100% sure, you'll get an opportunity to ask though.

To be honest, the manager story I told with us all doing the same kind of course, is not something that is department specific (that I know of), I think it was just this particular manager (Literally the best in the store, everyone has told me anyway and I agree!), decided he wanted people with the same interests in his team. Likewise, good arithmetic and strong computer skills is something I would give bonus points for, mainly for learning how to use everything. I mean all it really helps with is picking up the devices you use quicker. Anyone can learn how to use the PDA without any prior knowledge. If you know your times tables and can add two numbers without an issue, you're qualified! Heck, even if you haven't memorised your times tables you could still do the job without hassle. Sorry I'm dwelling on the same subject now!

My manager is really good with study leave. He said if I ever need time off that he can offer up to 6 weeks at a time. The same applies for holidays and things like that. Just a tip, if you get hired, make sure you are truthful with the flexi contract. Don't put your availability for every day and hour you are not at school, because you HAVE to work if you are needed. Give yourself enough time if you were to work the full amount of hours. Although, only applies if you are over 18 as you can work a maximum of 12 hours a week under 17. But back to your question, Tesco seem good for it with me, however it may differ from manager to manager. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I haven't bothered to calculate my pay per hour. But I think it's £6.85; I'm pretty sure it goes up either when I turn 18 or after 6 months of working or something like that. Still, it's better than £4.50 an hour pot washing a 12 hour shift without any breaks.

Oh, and you have to take breaks unpaid, you can't opt out of them. My Saturday 9-9:30 shift means I have to have a 30 minute break. Slightly annoying when it's a short shift.
Original post by kbkasey
x

If counting is part of stock control then I assume Counters is what your role is. In that case ill go for that one, since the hours are actually better allocated for me. The counters job is only on the weekends whereas the checkouts has a slot on Friday eve which may take away from study time.

6 weeks at a time is alright, but what if someone wanted something longer? Would they have to do unpaid leave?

Yeah i will just put down the hours i can actually do although the contracted hours are already perfect for me.

£6.85 is awesome for a 17 year old :tongue:
Do you have overtime oppurtinities? And do you know if you get paid extra for Sundays that are contracted hours?
If counting is part of stock control then I assume Counters is what your role is. In that case ill go for that one, since the hours are actually better allocated for me. The counters job is only on the weekends whereas the checkouts has a slot on Friday eve which may take away from study time.

6 weeks at a time is alright, but what if someone wanted something longer? Would they have to do unpaid leave?

Yeah i will just put down the hours i can actually do although the contracted hours are already perfect for me.

Do you have overtime oppurtinities? And do you know if you get paid extra for Sundays that are contracted hours?

It's 7.02 per hour & 7.39 after 3 months no matter what your age you get paid the same as everyone else. Time & half on Sunday's

Oh sorry, the study leave is unpaid, it just means your contracted is voided for 6 weeks essentially. You have to work there for a while in order to get sick pay, which I guess you could lie about and use it as a study leave. But that will take a few years before you get longer than a week.

Overtime varies. In stock control there isn't much, they have to have two people on at a time per shift, however it is a small group of reliable people, so you almost never need to cover for anyone. However, overtime for the tills is always there, they need 10 people on the tills at all times. Just remember though, once you are till trained, I think they can call you in during your flexi contract. So you could end up working your maximum hours every week. Although I'm not 100% sure if that is true or not.
Original post by kbkasey
Oh sorry, the study leave is unpaid, it just means your contracted is voided for 6 weeks essentially. You have to work there for a while in order to get sick pay, which I guess you could lie about and use it as a study leave. But that will take a few years before you get longer than a week.

Overtime varies. In stock control there isn't much, they have to have two people on at a time per shift, however it is a small group of reliable people, so you almost never need to cover for anyone. However, overtime for the tills is always there, they need 10 people on the tills at all times. Just remember though, once you are till trained, I think they can call you in during your flexi contract. So you could end up working your maximum hours every week. Although I'm not 100% sure if that is true or not.

Unpaid study leave is fully fine by me, as long as I'm off during exams as I'll need it.

Wait, if I only say i can do Saturday and Sunday, they can still call me in for another day because im trained on the tills? Because I think i will only be able to do the weekends. Only like 2 hours on a weekday.
Original post by hayley88
It's 7.02 per hour & 7.39 after 3 months no matter what your age you get paid the same as everyone else. Time & half on Sunday's

Thanks, is that contracted hours too?
Also did you apply for the checkouts? :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks, is that contracted hours too?
Also did you apply for the checkouts? :smile:

Yes it is, no I didn't I applied for customer service desk but got offered a job in the clothing section
Hey.
Does anybody know how long the whole application process is?
I've applied to a few jobs but the closing date is the first week of August. If I got the job what would most likely be the starting date? I think I've applied too early 😂😂 hoping to start a new job from 18th September...
The last time I applied to Tesco I got an interview 9 weeks after I applied...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can i apply to as many jobs in tesco as I want or is it only one at a time?

I just left working at another supermarket for 18 months and I've just applied for tesco. Counters would be the food counters e.g. Meat and fish, deli, hot food, pizza counter etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
I applied for a checkout position at my local tesco last night and the closing date is 10th August. Does this mean I won't hear from them until this date or will they contact me before?
Also there is a similar role going at the moment too and would it be beneficial to apply for that too or to just wait it out for the one I've already applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Velvetgh0st
I just left working at another supermarket for 18 months and I've just applied for tesco. Counters would be the food counters e.g. Meat and fish, deli, hot food, pizza counter etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh i see makes sense. What if due to religious reasons I can't work in the deli section because of the meat? Can I move to another counter such as cheese or bakery?
Ahh i see makes sense. What if due to religious reasons I can't work in the deli section because of the meat? Can I move to another counter such as cheese or bakery?

They would definitely have to accommodate religious reasons so they'll probably let you work on just fish or pizza perhaps? Depends on the counters they have in that store but they should definitely not discriminate due to this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Counters is stuff like meat, fish, delicatessen etc😊
Original post by PurpleElephant
Counters is stuff like meat, fish, delicatessen etc😊

Thanks, they should state that in the job roles bit. It just said things like working the shop floor and some other stuff i cant remember off atm.

Do you work counters? Do you know if i have a say in which counters i would like to work at ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending