The Student Room Group

Writing to Your Local MP Regarding Covid 19

Students at my university (particularly in the 3rd year) have been writing emails, petitions and all we can to our representatives within our own university including tutors and student reps.

However. Even with all the uproar we're naturally causing our head-of-education has decided that the best he can ask for from the Sussex Board managing my Uni is a 2-week extension on our work.

2 weeks is not a sufficient delay with no access to libraries, face-to-face feedback from tutors and with dissertations and similarly long-form essays due with the added responsibility of elderly dependants at risk of Covid 19 that students are naturally doing more to aid.

The response to Covid 19 in regards to GCSEs and A-Levels has been quick but grossly inadequate when it comes to Universities.

Do you think it is worth writing to our local MPs to bring up these concerns in parliament so that something might be done for struggling students regardless of political alignment?
Since parliament shut down yesterday, nope.
Count yourself lucky you got two weeks, we got a measly 3 days on our final dissertation after writing a letter collectively as a coursebecause hand in is ‘near the end of term’ so can’t extend if further. Library has been closed for nearly two weeks, I’d planned on doing the last of my writing in the final month of the hand in, its due next week and I’m 1000 words in, with no books.
Original post by Bunnelbyboi
Students at my university (particularly in the 3rd year) have been writing emails, petitions and all we can to our representatives within our own university including tutors and student reps.

However. Even with all the uproar we're naturally causing our head-of-education has decided that the best he can ask for from the Sussex Board managing my Uni is a 2-week extension on our work.

2 weeks is not a sufficient delay with no access to libraries, face-to-face feedback from tutors and with dissertations and similarly long-form essays due with the added responsibility of elderly dependants at risk of Covid 19 that students are naturally doing more to aid.

The response to Covid 19 in regards to GCSEs and A-Levels has been quick but grossly inadequate when it comes to Universities.

Do you think it is worth writing to our local MPs to bring up these concerns in parliament so that something might be done for struggling students regardless of political alignment?

Call me a bore, but when I did my PGCE all the main texts were online. Certainly all journals and research papers were online. And failing that the internet covers everything else. If you put as much effort into your dissertation as you are clearly putting into getting an extension I am sure you will be fine.

Have you emailed your tutors for feedback? Is that even a thing? I didn’t get feedback on my essays until they had been submitted.
Reply 4
Withg all due respect but im fairly sure your MP has better things to be doing than wasting time with emails from students. I'm not sure if you're aware but the economy is currently in free fall.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending