?
Report 6 days ago
Why £5K? Why not £10K, or £30K?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I am not saying I do not agree with this, but this is not an insignificant amount at all.

Back of the envelope calculation: assuming that there are 7,000 medical students per year, each getting £5,000 for 4 years (last year is paid by NHS bursary) will cost > £100 million. This does not take into account increasing numbers of med students, and some do 6 year courses.

The government already subsidises £163,000 per medical student. Sadly it is unlikely that this compaign will succeed, whichever way you look at it. https://fullfact.org/health/cost-training-doctor/
Last edited by ecolier; 6 days ago
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I think funding for the end of the medical course - 5th and 6th years - needs an overhaul. Getting a cut to the money intended for your living costs at a time when a) terms are likely to be significantly longer b) your own travel costs are likely to be increasing c) you are more useful to ward staff, the argument that applies to nursing students etc, makes no sense.

I don't think it should be £5k though and I don't think it should be applicable to the first 4 years.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (90)
52.33%
No, they should still go ahead (34)
19.77%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (48)
27.91%

Watched Threads