I'm getting worried, help please

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Since Sunday I have found myself focusing on my breathing and I don't know why. I am worried about what's going in the news and I am getting very bored of this lockdown/isolation. I just seem to focus on my breathing.. is this normal? They'll be times I'll check my heart rate and stomach. I'm scared.
I can't even enjoy watching TV, listening to music etc because I'm there focusing on it. I'm very scared.
I don't want to google anything because it will just get me even more anxious than I already am.
I was thinking maybe it's heart palpitations but I don't know.
Has anyone ever experienced this?
Will this feeling ever go away?
Please help
Any advice?
JOSHKOIKKARA
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Listen to songs, do something else. Your tension will reduce and yeah don't keep overthinking.You are totally fine.
JOSHKOIKKARA
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Dont google can you share with me, your hobbies and what you like to do most often ?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by JOSHKOIKKARA)
Listen to songs, do something else. Your tension will reduce and yeah don't keep overthinking.You are totally fine.
I have been trying to distract myself but the same feeling of focusing on it comes back. I went for a walk today this afternoon and was calm. I came back home and experienced the same thing. Maybe I am overthinking but how do i make it stop. It's caring me and
Thank you for the reassurance
M
JOSHKOIKKARA
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have been trying to distract myself but the same feeling of focusing on it comes back. I went for a walk today this afternoon and was calm. I came back home and experienced the same thing. Maybe I am overthinking but how do i make it stop. It's caring me and
Thank you for the reassurance
Whats the specialty of your place ? any good place for someone like me to visit nearby ?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
Try having to go in work everyday and facing it Im scared but have to go to a place where I’l likely be exposed to it everyday soon.
username5224582
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Since Sunday I have found myself focusing on my breathing and I don't know why. I am worried about what's going in the news and I am getting very bored of this lockdown/isolation. I just seem to focus on my breathing.. is this normal? They'll be times I'll check my heart rate and stomach. I'm scared.
I can't even enjoy watching TV, listening to music etc because I'm there focusing on it. I'm very scared.
I don't want to google anything because it will just get me even more anxious than I already am.
I was thinking maybe it's heart palpitations but I don't know.
Has anyone ever experienced this?
Will this feeling ever go away?
Please help
Any advice?
I have. It may be asthma if you run out of breath easily.
I would advise you to get a peak flow meter
Anonymous #1
(Original post by BeautifulQueen)
I have. It may be asthma if you run out of breath easily.
I would advise you to get a peak flow meter
This has given me reassurance that isn't just me. Thank god. What is it like for you?
I do have asthma. I do have my pump (when I find it) but it doesn't feel like I'm having an asthma attack or something (wouldn't know, cause I only had it once when I really young like age 8 and below or something)
I don't feel like I'm running out of breath easily, I'm just breathing normally but I'm heavily focusing on it which is making me feel sick/disrupting me from doing anything like eating properly, watching TV etc.
But the peak flow meter - What are is it and where do I get it from? A pharmacist?
username5224582
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This has given me reassurance that isn't just me. Thank god. What is it like for you?
I do have asthma. I do have my pump (when I find it) but it doesn't feel like I'm having an asthma attack or something (wouldn't know, cause I only had it once when I really young like age 8 and below or something)
I don't feel like I'm running out of breath easily, I'm just breathing normally but I'm heavily focusing on it which is making me feel sick/disrupting me from doing anything like eating properly, watching TV etc.
But the peak flow meter - What are is it and where do I get it from? A pharmacist?
You can get it from the pharmacy.
400 is average
>400 is higher chance of asthma
<400 is great!
username5224582
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
400 is average
<400 is great!
Also be careful of corona virus. I don't know where you live but your pharmacy may be closed. It that is true then you can order it from the internet.
Anonymous #1
Also be careful of corona virus. I don't know where you live but your pharmacy may be closed. It that is true then you can order it from the internet.
I may order them online. What does it do?
And what does 400 mean.. that my lungs are fine?? Help
Anonymous #1
400 is average
<400 is great!
May I ask, how did it affect you and what was your solution?
username5224582
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I may order them online. What does it do?
And what does 400 mean.. that my lungs are fine?? Help
So you have a graph chart and you need to blow into the hole into the hole once as hard as you can (Deep Breath)
Then you plot it on a graph.
400 means you are okay but blow it means you aren't fine. If you keep getting below 400 then that is a big problem.
After you complete the graph, visit your doctor/pharmacist and they will talk to you about the pros and cons about your breathing.
username5224582
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
May I ask, how did it affect you and what was your solution?
https://www.bonsecours.ie/contentfil...20O%20Dowd.pdf
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
Distract yourself. Do work, tidy your room.

Its a bit like grief or when you're going through a break up. You constantly think about it when you're doing activities etc but as time passes you find yourself thinking of it less and less.

Don't bottle it up, speak to people about how you feel, talking to your friends too. The more i think about the situation the more down i get about it and start to feel very trapped.
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That's totally normal given the circumstances. You're worried, your routine is all messed up, you're probably not eating, drinking and sleeping like you normally do, your house is probably getting a bit stuffy.
Anxiety can be a longer term thing as well as an in the moment thing and your body can get anxious as well as your brain.

Try to get some fresh air (even if you are staying inside open some windows) and do something active. That helps freshen up your body and brain a bit
Make sure your drinking eating and try to keep to a routine (especially sleep). It's easy to slack on lokki g after yourself at times like this and that messes up how you think and feel.
Try to find something engaging to do. That might be watching a movie, playing a game, doing some colouring, talking to some people, doing some puzzles, redecorating or even... studying (shudder). When you do nothing for a while and get into that unfocused, low motivation kinda place it can be really easy to get more stressed and upset. And when your brain isn't thinking of or doing anything it can be really easy for it to latch into worrying stuff (especially if that stuff is all over the news).

Try to make the most of this time, look after yourself and not freak out. It's totally normal to feel concerned, confused and kinda out of sorts. Big stuff is happening and pretty much everybody is confused and worried. Try not to let that turn into a spiral that drags you down though.
When you feel worried tell yourself that's normal and okay. You're doing your best to follow advice, keep yourself safe and help this pass, but there's still lot of unknowns and stuff you can't do. It's normal to feel concerned about that but there's nothing you can do about that so the concern cab stay where it is as a background thing while you keep doing stuff.
Don't feel the concern and then think "oh pants I'm worried. That's bad. Omg and my breathing is all funny. Oh my god I can't live like this.". That's just feeding it and you end up pnicing because you're panicking.

Accept that this is a worrying time and don't stress out when you feel that worry. Stay calm, take some slow deep breaths and do something positive and engaging. The worried feeling might stay with you and that's fine. Don't focus on it and it will fade
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Kindred)
That's totally normal given the circumstances. You're worried, your routine is all messed up, you're probably not eating, drinking and sleeping like you normally do, your house is probably getting a bit stuffy.
Anxiety can be a longer term thing as well as an in the moment thing and your body can get anxious as well as your brain.

Try to get some fresh air (even if you are staying inside open some windows) and do something active. That helps freshen up your body and brain a bit
Make sure your drinking eating and try to keep to a routine (especially sleep). It's easy to slack on lokki g after yourself at times like this and that messes up how you think and feel.
Try to find something engaging to do. That might be watching a movie, playing a game, doing some colouring, talking to some people, doing some puzzles, redecorating or even... studying (shudder). When you do nothing for a while and get into that unfocused, low motivation kinda place it can be really easy to get more stressed and upset. And when your brain isn't thinking of or doing anything it can be really easy for it to latch into worrying stuff (especially if that stuff is all over the news).

Try to make the most of this time, look after yourself and not freak out. It's totally normal to feel concerned, confused and kinda out of sorts. Big stuff is happening and pretty much everybody is confused and worried. Try not to let that turn into a spiral that drags you down though.
When you feel worried tell yourself that's normal and okay. You're doing your best to follow advice, keep yourself safe and help this pass, but there's still lot of unknowns and stuff you can't do. It's normal to feel concerned about that but there's nothing you can do about that so the concern cab stay where it is as a background thing while you keep doing stuff.
Don't feel the concern and then think "oh pants I'm worried. That's bad. Omg and my breathing is all funny. Oh my god I can't live like this.". That's just feeding it and you end up pnicing because you're panicking.

Accept that this is a worrying time and don't stress out when you feel that worry. Stay calm, take some slow deep breaths and do something positive and engaging. The worried feeling might stay with you and that's fine. Don't focus on it and it will fade
Thank you so much for your advice. I believe my routine is all messed up- you're right - I'm not eating and sleeping like i normally do which is annoying. Since Wednesday I haven't been eaten my food properly, and yesterday also I hardly even ate.. (I know if I didn't have this problem on focusing on breathing too much, I would of 100% ate my food) and the sleeping - I'm finding it hard to go to sleep properly because I'm again, focusing on my breathing. Which is really disrupting me.
Is this what it is anxiety? I did tell my relative (who I'm living with that I'm focusing on my breathing - and she told me it's probably anxiety and that I should distract myself - which is hard cause I'm trying and then I should continue the same pattern)

I've been opening up my window in my bedroom quite often now, cause it does get warm in the house (even without the heating on) I did do something active yesterday, by going for a walk. It did help me a bit until I came back home and experienced the same thing.
I'm thinking I might have to walk quite often (like 3x or twice a week)
I need to keep a routine cause I sometimes wake up in the afternoon which I know isn't good neither is it healthy. I need to find and stick to a schedule.
I am trying to find something engaging todo, like watching a movie / listening to music or even doing my uni work but it just doesn't seem to work because I'm thinking/focused on my breathing and I can't really concentrate because of it.

I'm taking each time slowly and trying to stay positive that this shall pass and everything will be fine but hearing about the news 24/7 is depressing and makes me even more scared cause of those being at risk, especially me with having asthma. I really want this whole thing to be over with and I want to resume with how things were, going out, travelling & uni etc. I think bc Ive been in the house all day since last week not doing much I've started to just focus on my breathing... I really hope this fades away cause it is distracting me from even doing my daily activities

I really appreciate this advice and I'm going to try my best to focus on doing engaging tasks. I have even planned to tidy my room so hopefully that will help put my mind and breath at rest and even tho it's something active
I
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (293)
34.19%
No (564)
65.81%

Watched Threads