emmahouston1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
I have an offer from both Glasgow and Edinburgh for Economics but am struggling to make the right decision and keep switching between the two. Any tips?
Vladimir Poutine
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Are you Scottish yourself or do you have any prior experience of the cities? Location should be the basis of your decision imo as both Unis get a really good rep.

From the perspective of someone who has grown up in Edinburgh, it is a really amazing city. We are so historically and culturally-wealthy in a way Glasgow - for all its merits - doesn’t quite match.* It is a place with an incredible amount of stories to tell, in real-world and literary terms. It was the first UNESCO city of literature I believe and has the only train station in the world (Waverley) to be named after a novel.

You’ll be surrounded by quality bars, restaurants and shops as well as beautiful architecture. The city was designed in a very peculiar fashion so you have so much to explore from the Old Town to the New Town, city centre and beyond.

I am prepared to admit that in Glasgow the people are generally friendlier, but Edinburgh’s nowhere near as bad as London, plus you’ve got more radges in Glasgow even if you aren’t likely to encounter them in touristy areas. Club-wise apparently Glasgow wins, though I’m yet to see for myself.

Of course, I’m (clearly) biased and the choice is your own. It’s possible to overstate Edinburgh’s charm as with anywhere and Glasgow is by no means a second-rate city.

* Stating any such opinion is like summoning an angry Glaswegian, so there’s likely to be someone contradicting me soon. It’s a divide as old as time itself.
emmahouston1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Vladimir Poutine)
Are you Scottish yourself or do you have any prior experience of the cities? Location should be the basis of your decision imo as both Unis get a really good rep.

From the perspective of someone who has grown up in Edinburgh, it is a really amazing city. We are so historically and culturally-wealthy in a way Glasgow - for all its merits - doesn’t quite match.* It is a place with an incredible amount of stories to tell, in real-world and literary terms. It was the first UNESCO city of literature I believe and has the only train station in the world (Waverley) to be named after a novel.

You’ll be surrounded by quality bars, restaurants and shops as well as beautiful architecture. The city was designed in a very peculiar fashion so you have so much to explore from the Old Town to the New Town, city centre and beyond.

I am prepared to admit that in Glasgow the people are generally friendlier, but Edinburgh’s nowhere near as bad as London, plus you’ve got more radges in Glasgow even if you aren’t likely to encounter them in touristy areas. Club-wise apparently Glasgow wins, though I’m yet to see for myself.

Of course, I’m (clearly) biased and the choice is your own. It’s possible to overstate Edinburgh’s charm as with anywhere and Glasgow is by no means a second-rate city.

* Stating any such opinion is like summoning an angry Glaswegian, so there’s likely to be someone contradicting me soon. It’s a divide as old as time itself.
Thanks for your reply! I am Scottish and live closer to Glasgow but know both cities well. Do you have any experience of the uni or course/know anyone who goes and what they thought?
Vladimir Poutine
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by emmahouston1)
Thanks for your reply! I am Scottish and live closer to Glasgow but know both cities well. Do you have any experience of the uni or course/know anyone who goes and what they thought?
Have a cousin doing Economics and a language at Glasgow, they‘re quite enjoying it. From what I gather it’s quite tough but I assume that’s just the subject itself, idk really. Nice enough accommodation and grounds when I visited, they really like the area and flat mates.

For the course she said there is more Maths than expected and quite a lot of exams into semester 2
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (104)
60.82%
No (67)
39.18%

Watched Threads