Jehaulanauwowkw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
Im a year 12 student taking Maths, physics, and music for A level. I would love to study engineering for my degree and am hoping to go to a Russel group uni (Durham, UCL, Edinburgh, maybe try for Cambridge). My predicted grades are A* A* A. However, I have only realised half way through the year that many unis strongly recommend taking further maths a level. Is there any hope in me applying? Is there anything I can do to show a strong interest in maths on my ucas? Am I to late to do further maths AS? Any advice would be much appreciated.
hustlr
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Jehaulanauwowkw)
Im a year 12 student taking Maths, physics, and music for A level. I would love to study engineering for my degree and am hoping to go to a Russel group uni (Durham, UCL, Edinburgh, maybe try for Cambridge). My predicted grades are A* A* A. However, I have only realised half way through the year that many unis strongly recommend taking further maths a level. Is there any hope in me applying? Is there anything I can do to show a strong interest in maths on my ucas? Am I to late to do further maths AS? Any advice would be much appreciated.
well yes you can still get into engineering, maths and physics are the essentials. further maths is maths but it has abit of degree content in it, so you would learn that on youre course in uni anyways, they only recommend it because it shows that youre more likely to succeed on the course
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Yes you can still apply, unis dont require it they simply recommend it.

I would take further math AS if possible. (an engineering degree is lots of PDEs, multivariable calculus, matrix algebra and some more maths stuff, basically an applied maths degree so doing as much maths as possible is beneficial but A-level maths is the requirement).

Id also say you've picked very strong unis, but these are not strong engineering unis its not that big a deal, this is just more of an fyi.
Jehaulanauwowkw
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
(Original post by mnot)
Yes you can still apply, unis dont require it they simply recommend it.

I would take further math AS if possible. (an engineering degree is lots of PDEs, multivariable calculus, matrix algebra and some more maths stuff, basically an applied maths degree so doing as much maths as possible is beneficial but A-level maths is the requirement).

Id also say you've picked very strong unis, but these are not strong engineering unis its not that big a deal, this is just more of an fyi
Great, thank you. What would be some strong engineering unis in your opinion?
BeautifulQueen
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Do extra work and always put your hand up in class. I'm a top in school.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Does Edinburgh suggest FM for first year (standard) entry? Which type of engineering are you looking at?
Chris2892
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I didn’t do my A-levels and I’m in final year mechanical engineering.
As said before, do A LOT of revision. It’s hard if you’ve not absolutely nailed the fundamentals. Going into uni with a good understanding of calculus, specifically basic integration and differentiation will help so much. Most unis have all 1st year engineering students cover the same modules, regardless of engineering topic.

Complete the free KhanAcademy modules on A-Level math, take your time and you’ll be fine. You can even state this in your application etc, how you identified your weak point,, and took action to improve.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Imperial (generally regarded as the best all round)
There are lots of excellent other unis in the next tier:
Bath, Bristol, Loughborough, Warwick, Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds, Southampton are the ones which jump out to me as great engineering unis tho.
Other unis such as Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool (and similar) are all well respected.
Unis such as Coventry, Brunel, Brookes are also known to produce good engineers for industry, as they have long had a good foothold with industry connections

Oxbridge, has excellent students and the graduates go onto whatever they want, but the degrees themselves are not really engineering degrees, and dont map onto professional/industry engineering well but nonetheless you would be going into industry with an Oxbridge degree just with a slightly different scope of professional engineering and how engineers in industry solve real world engineering problems. (imo the Oxbridge course is just an applied science degree which provides students a great analytical base to move off from in the future).
Chris2892
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by mnot)
Imperial (generally regarded as the best all round)
There are lots of excellent other unis in the next tier:
Bath, Bristol, Loughborough, Warwick, Nottingham, Sheffield, Leeds, Southampton are the ones which jump out to me as great engineering unis tho.
Other unis such as Birmingham, Manchester, Newcastle, Liverpool (and similar) are all well respected.
Unis such as Coventry, Brunel, Brookes are also known to produce good engineers for industry, as they have long had a good foothold with industry connections

Oxbridge, has excellent students and the graduates go onto whatever they want, but the degrees themselves are not really engineering degrees, and dont map onto professional/industry engineering well but nonetheless you would be going into industry with an Oxbridge degree just with a slightly different scope of professional engineering and how engineers in industry solve real world engineering problems. (imo the Oxbridge course is just an applied science degree which provides students a great analytical base to move off from in the future).
The most important thing, especially if you might one day want to become a chartered engineer (CEng) is to make sure the course is accredited. For example, IMechE accredited courses for Mechanical Engineering
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Chris2892)
The most important thing, especially if you might one day want to become a chartered engineer (CEng) is to make sure the course is accredited. For example, IMechE accredited courses for Mechanical Engineering
Yes, I wouldn't even consider a degree which didn't have IMeche (or equivalent ICheme, ICivE, RAeS, IET) accreditation, almost all UK unis have accreditation (but is worth double checking before applying).
Last edited by mnot; 2 days ago
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Look beyond the RG unis if you want to be an engineer working in industry. You need a degree with a placement year if possible and with up-to-date hands-on content.

Look at Loughborough, Bath, Brookes - they are the sort of unis my best students are going to now.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Strathclyde and Heriot-Watt are pretty heavily targeted by recruiters generally. Aberdeen is quite notable for chemical engineering and its connections to that industry. mnot has covered most other notable departments!
Loughborough University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
Hi Jehaulanauwowkw,

As a few people of mentioned, most universities only require physics and maths at A-level to undertake engineering. Depending on what type of engineering you want to go into some universities may prefer it if you take an additional A-level e.g. chemistry for chemical.

Here at Loughborough we have a great history of engineering and pride ourselves in the programmes we deliver across the three schools we have. If you have any questions about programmes with us or about engineering in general we would be happy to help.

Best Wishes,
Emily
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (80)
62.02%
No (49)
37.98%

Watched Threads