why is david lloyd george not held in the same revere as Churchill?

Watch
miniminx3310
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
they both won 2 wws ?
username402722
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It was before radio. David Lloyd George also had several mistresses.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by miniminx3310)
they both won 2 wws ?
One reason, it can be argued, is that WWI was less of a victory than simply having pause pressed on it for a few years. Never mind being seen as much less necessary than WWII with the home islands never being under particularly real threat.
Orange7829
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
World War II was a much greater struggle than World War I from our perspective. In World War I we had many allies in Europe such as France, Italy and Russia, whereas in World War II following the Fall of France Britain and its empire were on their own against the Nazis until America and the USSR joined the war. The Second World War was also much closer to home with things like the Blitz whereas in World War I very little fighting actually took place in Britain (Lloyd-George didn't have to make important speeches about fighting on the beaches, landing grounds etc. because it never reached that point). Since the struggle in the Second World War was greater I would say that this is part of the reason why Churchill is more celebrated. Also WW2 is more recent so we remember more about the people in WW2 than in WW1.
CaramelCamel
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Lloyd George was a more controversial figure. He was involved in the Marconi scandal and he sold honours such as knighthoods. Churchill was involved in controversies too but, at least I think so, to a lesser extent.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Lloyd George only came in in December 1916. He was in the cabinet prior to that (as was Churchill, actually) but a 2 year stint in the top seat is slightly different to Churchill's 5 year period for the majority of WW2.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by miniminx3310)
they both won 2 wws ?
WWI campaign was a mess - watch 'Oh what a lovely war!' for an idea.

"Lions led by donkeys" is a phrase used to describe the British infantry of the First World War and to blame the generals who led them. The general impression was that the brave soldiers (lions) were sent to their deaths by incompetent and indifferent leaders (donkeys). Maybe read some War poetry form that period? Dulce et Decorum Est by Wilfrid Owen is a good start.
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Orange7829)
World War II was a much greater struggle than World War I from our perspective. In World War I we had many allies in Europe such as France, Italy and Russia, whereas in World War II following the Fall of France Britain and its empire were on their own against the Nazis until America and the USSR joined the war. The Second World War was also much closer to home with things like the Blitz whereas in World War I very little fighting actually took place in Britain (Lloyd-George didn't have to make important speeches about fighting on the beaches, landing grounds etc. because it never reached that point). Since the struggle in the Second World War was greater I would say that this is part of the reason why Churchill is more celebrated. Also WW2 is more recent so we remember more about the people in WW2 than in WW1.
But yet the impact on the overall population was possibly greater in WW1, far more UK deaths than WW2, more families impacted by a death during the first conflict.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.87%
Uncertainty around my education (385)
14.89%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (287)
11.1%
Lack of purpose or motivation (365)
14.11%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (120)
4.64%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (157)
6.07%
Loneliness (219)
8.47%
Financial worries (95)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.1%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.64%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.22%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (226)
8.74%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (245)
9.47%

Watched Threads