Aberystwyth - InterPol/student jobs

Watch
Annamarie03
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hey there,

I've got offers from Aberystwyth, Exeter and Cardiff to study International Relations and I can't decide which one to choose. Also waiting for Sussex and KCL to make up their minds (International Development both) Which uni has the strongest IR department you reckon? I've heard people praising Aber, apparently top notch, but not sure how up to date that information is.

I'm also really worried about my financial situation at uni as I've got no maintanance loan and I rely on part time work heavily. What's your experience with student jobs in Aber? I mean
I've got plenty of experience from bars and restaurants so that's not an issue. I'm thinking about coming to Aber as soon as the whole covid19 situation calms down and we're allowed to travel so I would get there long before most students arrive, even months ahead if possible. It would probably be a lot easier to get a job in Cardiff or Exeter but isn't it like a lot more expansive? I just checked the prices for student halls and it gave me a little heart attack.

I've done a year at Worcester uni and finances were manageable there. Sometimes quite a struggle to find work but not too bad.

Please let me know what you think.
Aberystwyth University Student Ambassador
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Hi Annamarie03,

First of all well done on your offers 😊

I am a current student at Aberystwyth University, in my second year and I am really enjoying my time in Aberystwyth.

I have a couple of friends studying International Politics here and they all really enjoy the course, especially the varied choice of optional modules that allows you to choose to study what interests you most! In the National Student Survey last year 100% of the students on the International Politics course agreed that staff have made the subject interesting and the department was in the top 10 for Teaching Quality and Student Experience in The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2019. We have weekly live chats ever Wednesday 4-6pm where you can speak to staff and current students, next week we will have an Interpol lecturer online if you fancy a chat (click here to find out more)!

In terms of student jobs, there is plenty of jobs around. The supermarkets, local cafes, pubs/bars, shops all hire students all year round, but especially at the start of the year. The university also offers employment opportunities in the cafes, sports centre, farms and for open days etc. Let me know if you have any other questions about student jobs or want to here more about my experience.

Coming from the south I have found Aberystwyth a more affordable place to live, especially in terms of rent and I have lived both in University and private accommodation. Compared to the bigger cities, everything in the town is within walking distance, so I don’t spend any money day to day on public transport. Let me know if you would like more information about University accommodation.

We have an interactive online open day coming up where you can have the opportunity to talk online to course lecturers, current students and admissions staff as well as take a panoramic tour of our campus and accommodation. You can register here if interested?

If you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask 😊

Rebecca
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think non-essential uni exams should be cancelled?

Yes, they should be cancelled altogether (157)
53.22%
No, they should still go ahead (45)
15.25%
They should be cancelled for everyone but final year (93)
31.53%

Watched Threads