Is it true that med students are now being called to work for the virus situation

Watch
Kutie Karen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
are med students now being forced to go and work in hospitals with the corona virus pandemic? Do they have a choice wiht the uni's now cloesd?
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Kutie Karen)
are med students now being forced to go and work in hospitals with the corona virus pandemic? Do they have a choice wiht the uni's now cloesd?
I dont know the contract they sign so you would be better off posting in the med section. ecolier
I would have thought any med student asked would jump at the chance to help and to get experience.
The only reason not to is if you or your family were in a risk group.
Also maybe if you had longstanding pre existing plans.

I thought they were drafting in final year med students to help, so far.
Not sure if they expect for free, as its out of term I hope they get paid something.
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Report 1 week ago
We've not been forced, but we are being asked regularly to go in and help at my med school.

(Original post by 999tigger)
Not sure if they expect for free, as its out of term I hope they get paid something.
Ours expect it for free at the moment.
999tigger
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by usycool1)
We've not been forced, but we are being asked regularly to go in and help at my med school.

My point would be its out of term time and theres a blank cheque for costs, so even if you got min wage the amounts would add up and make a big difference. Have no idea whether theres an actual contract to go?
RusticSeapig
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by usycool1)

If you are helping in a clinical role, you should be being paid (point 2 of https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...in-the-nhs.pdf). You should contact the BMA.
usycool1
  • Study Helper
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RusticSeapig)
If you are helping in a clinical role, you should be being paid (point 2 of https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...in-the-nhs.pdf). You should contact the BMA.
Thanks - it is clinical so I'll look into it
Kutie Karen
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
I dont know the contract they sign so you would be better off posting in the med section. ecolier
I would have thought any med student asked would jump at the chance to help and to get experience.
The only reason not to is if you or your family were in a risk group.
Also maybe if you had longstanding pre existing plans.

I thought they were drafting in final year med students to help, so far.
Yes it would be good to know if that is a choice they have and if they are going to be paid for it. They are today calling for retired policeman, paramedics and ambulance drivers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (322)
34.29%
No (617)
65.71%

Watched Threads