Clap for the NHS - What does it achieve?

Watch
Treetop321
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I know I'm not exactly being positive, but what does this actually achieve? There are ways to support the NHS that actually helps them. Following the government advice would also help much more than clapping.
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
I know I'm not exactly being positive, but what does this actually achieve? There are ways to support the NHS that actually helps them. Following the government advice would also help much more than clapping.
I've got to admit that I found it a bit cringe. It seems a very un-British thing to do. I'd rather thank someone individually and personally in a way that actually meant something to them, than stand on a doorstep clapping like some mogadonned moron.
angelike1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yeah you're being a bit cynical.

The NHS staff can actually feel appreciated for once.
Last edited by angelike1; 5 days ago
Kutie Karen
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It's a small symbol of the support for our NHS and the NHS workers/carers to recognise the tough jobs they do for us in this unpredictable time

People can still follow the Government guidance whilst clapping
Chief Wiggum
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Yeah it's pretty pointless. I guess it's a nice gesture, but it is pretty cringey too lol.
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It has more of a symbolic meaning, I'm sure the NHS and key workers appreciated the gesture. It's nice to see the support.
Bexjw
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
As someone who works for the NHS, I’m going to admit that it sounded like the most cringey thing in the whole world and completely irrelevant. We all go to work and get paid. We don’t want anymore than that. However. After a long day like today, hearing all the clapping and cheers from the city, it was actually really quite emotional. So whilst I completely agree it seemed like something useless, it’s actually been really heartwarming and brought many of my colleagues to tears.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Agree with the above, but it does feel nice to be appreciated.
999tigger
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Treetop321)
I dont believe its an either or?

Perhaps its nice if people in the NHS feel they are appreciated and recognise they are making extraordinary efforts at the moment on behalf of the country?
RichPiana
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If I was an NHS worker the only way I’d feel appreciated is if I was given £1million.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by angelike1)
Yeah you're being a bit cynical.

The NHS staff can actually feel appreciated for once.
That's what i'm not liking tbh, the kinda snide insinuation that i didn't already appreciate them and I owe tribute. I'm not the one that's been trying to starve the NHS and flog it off, but that exact government are the ones telling me to clap while still basically in contempt of both groups? Nah sorry. I genuinely hope they enjoyed the gesture, but it just felt off for me the moment I heard of it.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
That's what i'm not liking tbh, the kinda snide insinuation that i didn't already appreciate them and I owe tribute. I'm not the one that's been trying to starve the NHS and flog it off, but that exact government are the ones telling me to clap while still basically in contempt of both groups? Nah sorry. I genuinely hope they enjoyed the gesture, but it just felt off for me the moment I heard of it.
This is it. It's like 'Poppy Shaming' people on Remembrance Sunday. You're not wearing a remembrance poppy=you're a traitor who is trashing the war dead.
angelike1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I understand how it coming from the government can sort of taint the whole gesture.
But overall it probably would help those NHS workers who are feeling a bit overwhelmed and demotivated during a time like this.
Karisa96
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
For me it shows solidarity, shows that we all appreciate how hard the guys in the NHS, work on our behalf.
God bless them all.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
It's an utterly bizarre thing that I had no intention of joining in with, so am pretty glad my entire street also ignored it.

I put it on a par with the weirdness of being 'thanked for my service' by people when they learn I used to be in the RAF.

It's cringe. Very American and very not us.
forbearne
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
While I agree with your point about the government's role in this, I do think it's true that not nearly enough recognition is given to healthcare professionals in the UK in the circumstances they have to work in.
MartinisSkip
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I think our country needs more stuff like this. We are too stiff upper lip, too keep calm and carry on, too 'that's cringe'. It's just a way of showing appreciation in a time of uncertainty and sadness. Those staff are dealing with even more strain right now, and yes, you should appreciate them everyday, but you should appreciate them even more now. The point isn't that we think you don't already appreciate what they do, but that in such circumstances, you can appreciate that they're dealing with death and illness and sadness for longer shifts than they usually have.

Of course, it would be nice if the government did more, but not being behind this clapping thing wouldn't solve that. Plus, it's a nice way for those people who can't do certain things like donate money and the like, to show their appreciation and solidarity.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by angelike1)
I understand how it coming from the government can sort of taint the whole gesture.
But overall it probably would help those NHS workers who are feeling a bit overwhelmed and demotivated during a time like this.
Exactly, I'm all for appreciating the NHS, you want me to sign/lobby my MP/dig a bit deeper in tax ect for better pay, funding and conditions? you got it. But this 'The Government destroying the NHS presents 'A Grand Slyly Self Serving Gesture'' starring YOU!' leaves me a bit queasy, or as you say, it feel tainted. Like Tommy Robinson shaming us on Youtube for not doing enough to promote social diversity... :rolleyes:

(Original post by Reality Check)
This is it. It's like 'Poppy Shaming' people on Remembrance Sunday. You're not wearing a remembrance poppy=you're a traitor who is trashing the war dead.
Bingo, it's got a whiff of the Poppy Shaming "But I've worn a poppy for years?" "But it's not a white and rainbow striped one is it ya bigot? When did you decide you hated L+ people?"
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Drewski)
I put it on a par with the weirdness of being 'thanked for my service' by people when they learn I used to be in the RAF.
Thanked for what? Doing your job?
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by forbearne)
While I agree with your point about the government's role in this, I do think it's true that not nearly enough recognition is given to healthcare professionals in the UK in the circumstances they have to work in.
I think the tide is slowly changing with the general public to be honest, there are plenty of posts on social media thanking NHS staff and lots of companies offer NHS staff discounts and at the moment special shopping hours. I'm not saying NHS staff shouldnt have this but they are not the only people working hard during this crisis, bus drivers, shop workers, stay at home and care home carers, the armed forces, bin men and many more are putting themselves in danger for the benefit of society but yet they dont get social media posts and people clapping for them.
The NHS staff do work incredibly hard but their profession is their job, they did choose it at the end of the day and i'm not sure why they should be considered heroes anymore so than the other workers mentioned. I'm pleased if the NHS staff felt appreciated, they should do, but being appreciated isn't going to really have any long lasting effect. Instead of telling people to clap the government needs to increase wages, general NHS funding and the amount of staff that work within the NHS. It just feels a little off in my opinion, it's kind of like when Tony Blair stands at the cenotaph on remembrance day.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (256)
60.81%
No (86)
20.43%
Not sure (79)
18.76%

Watched Threads