Hair breakage . Pls help

Watch
hotchocolate66
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I'm really concerned about my hair so I decided to post this. A quick background about my hair. I'm South Asian and have black hair (though the middle to the end section are brown for some weird reason) which is straight. I would say it's fine to medium thickness.

So back in 2016, I had a cut my hair till my shoulder. After the haircut, my hair grew out and by June 2017, it was almost 20 inches. By June 2018, my hair was around 26 inches in length. My hair was pretty long and healthy and I had no issues with split ends and hair breakage. I also didnt have much hairfall.

However, from June-July 2018 onwards, I was under great stress and emotional grief. I had witnessed some split ends but was so preoccupied with the grief that I neglected my hair quite a bit. It was around this time when I began to shed a lot of hair. My hair would come out in clumps and I lost a lot of hair during this process.

Unfortunately I made the huge mistake of not trimming off my hair and decided to keep it. It didnt work and my hair looked really dry and continued to fall out. I did trim the ends of my hair at home but I guess it wasnt enough.
By September 2019, I noticed split ends all across my hair as well in the middle section and the top section of my hair. My hair was full of split ends and broken hairs.

I decided to chop it off and got a big cut. My hair was between 12-14 inches after the trim. After the cut, I ve been extensively caring for my hair. But I'm still experiencing broken hairs and split ends, something which I never had before.

My hair routine consists of
1. I oil my hair every single day with either coconut oil or olive oil and castor oil. I also use mustard oil.
2. I ve been using hair masks like mayonnaise and olive oil hair mask. I did try avocado mask but it made my hair dry for some reason so I'm no longer doing it.
3. I also use in shower hair masks
4. I shampoo and condition my hair
5. I use wooden combs to brush my hair
6. I ve now started the baggy method on my lower section to the ends of my hair.

Inspite of ALL this, I'm still suffering from hair breakage. I lose a lot of hair whenever I use hair masks, hair oils and all these hairs are short and come out from the ends or the middle section of my area.
I still have broken hairs on the top. I keep cutting them but I still notice that they are growing out wiry, curved.

The rest of my hair looks better but then I notice the split ends or the curved and wiry bits and I get so depressed. It seems like all my efforts are going down the drain.

What else do I do for my hair? It seems like some parts of it are permanently damaged and cannot be fixed. Can anyone please help me on this?
Last edited by hotchocolate66; 1 week ago
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hotchocolate66)
I'm really concerned about my hair so I decided to post this. A quick background about my hair. I'm South Asian and have black hair (though the middle to the end section are brown for some weird reason) which is straight. I would say it's fine to medium thickness.

So back in 2016, I had a cut my hair till my shoulder. After the haircut, my hair grew out and by June 2017, it was almost 20 inches. By June 2018, my hair was around 26 inches in length. My hair was pretty long and healthy and I had no issues with split ends and hair breakage. I also didnt have much hairfall.

However, from June-July 2018 onwards, I was under great stress and emotional grief. I had witnessed some split ends but was so preoccupied with the grief that I neglected my hair quite a bit. It was around this time when I began to shed a lot of hair. My hair would come out in clumps and I lost a lot of hair during this process.

Unfortunately I made the huge mistake of not trimming off my hair and decided to keep it. It didnt work and my hair looked really dry and continued to fall out. I did trim the ends of my hair at home but I guess it wasnt enough.
By September 2019, I noticed split ends all across my hair as well in the middle section and the top section of my hair. My hair was full of split ends and broken hairs.

I decided to chop it off and got a big cut. My hair was between 12-14 inches after the trim. After the cut, I ve been extensively caring for my hair. But I'm still experiencing broken hairs and split ends, something which I never had before.

My hair routine consists of
1. I oil my hair every single day with either coconut oil or olive oil and castor oil. I also use mustard oil.
2. I ve been using hair masks like mayonnaise and olive oil hair mask. I did try avocado mask but it made my hair dry for some reason so I'm no longer doing it.
3. I also use in shower hair masks
4. I shampoo and condition my hair
5. I use wooden combs to brush my hair
6. I ve now started the baggy method on my lower section to the ends of my hair.

Inspite of ALL this, I'm still suffering from hair breakage. I lose a lot of hair whenever I use hair masks, hair oils and all these hairs are short and come out from the ends or the middle section of my area.
I still have broken hairs on the top. I keep cutting them but I still notice that they are growing out wiry, curved.

The rest of my hair looks better but then I notice the split ends or the curved and wiry bits and I get so depressed. It seems like all my efforts are going down the drain.

What else do I do for my hair? It seems like some parts of it are permanently damaged and cannot be fixed. Can anyone please help me on this?
I'd really stop wiping mayonnaise through your hair. It's pretty grim, to be honest.

Have you tried Phillip Kingsley's Elasticizer?
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
(Original post by Reality Check)
I'd really stop wiping mayonnaise through your hair. It's pretty grim, to be honest.

Have you tried Phillip Kingsley's Elasticizer?
But mayo really makes my hair extremely soft though. Also I use eggless mayo. And my hair does look healthy if I do it like 3 times a week.

No I haven't tried that. What is it?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
But mayo really makes my hair extremely soft though. Also I use eggless mayo. And my hair does look healthy if I do it like 3 times a week.

No I haven't tried that. What is it?
It's a leave-in conditioning mask. Pretty amazing stuff - expensive, but definitely worth it. The larger sizes are better value.

https://www.philipkingsley.co.uk/phi...yAAEgKbr_D_BwE
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
It's a leave-in conditioning mask. Pretty amazing stuff - expensive, but definitely worth it. The larger sizes are better value.

https://www.philipkingsley.co.uk/phi...yAAEgKbr_D_BwE
Is this a salon product? And will this help?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is this a salon product? And will this help?
Well it is used in a lot of salons, and it is trichologist based - but you can buy it yourself.
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
Well it is used in a lot of salons, and it is trichologist based - but you can buy it yourself.
Okay thanks. Will try this
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
Helpful opinions please.
black tea
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Try taking supplements for skin, hair and nails. They have helped me in the past when I've had issues with my hair falling out.
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
Try taking supplements for skin, hair and nails. They have helped me in the past when I've had issues with my hair falling out.
Which ones?
black tea
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Which ones?
I used the Perfectil ones
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
(Original post by black tea)
I used the Perfectil ones
Okay thanks a lot
Fermion.
Report 1 week ago
Olaplex 3 repairs the structure of your hair. My hair became really dry and lifeless when I went on medication and it had helped me loads.

Also, consider buying a sulphate free shampoo. Sulphate are extremely damaging to your hair. A cheap Pantene shampoo isn’t going to do your hair any favours.
hotchocolate66
Rep:
?
(Original post by Fermion.)
Olaplex 3 repairs the structure of your hair. My hair became really dry and lifeless when I went on medication and it had helped me loads.

Also, consider buying a sulphate free shampoo. Sulphate are extremely damaging to your hair. A cheap Pantene shampoo isn’t going to do your hair any favours.
I was using Faith in Nature shampoos and conditioners but I'm almost out and due to COVID most Holland and Barrett stores are closed. So now I'm stuck to Dr Organic Coconut oil shampoo.

I haven't used this olaplex. Have you used this at home or at salons?
Fermion.
Report 1 week ago
I was using Faith in Nature shampoos and conditioners but I'm almost out and due to COVID most Holland and Barrett stores are closed. So now I'm stuck to Dr Organic Coconut oil shampoo.

I haven't used this olaplex. Have you used this at home or at salons?
My hairdresser uses it on my hair in salon and I use it at home as well.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My friend has similar issues with her hair, she finds the dead sea magik haircare products and dietary supplements helpful.
She buys the dead sea mineral shampoo, hair serum, Vitabiotics Perfectil Max and Omega 3 supplements.
Her problems arise from physical exhaustion and a traumatic daily living environment due to family circumstances.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (305)
34.27%
No (585)
65.73%

Watched Threads