Will they think 'wow, she's made no new friends' ??

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
I deleted my social media around 2 years ago for a variety of reasons.

1. It just started to feel stupid. Who was I posting for? Why am I posting for people I don't care about and who don't care about me? And who only care if I post a pretty picture of myself?

2. The followers I had on there I wasn't close to, they're just school friends/people I knew.

3. I was bored of social media and felt like there was no need for people to know what I'm getting up to and for me to know what they're up to. I don't need to compare myself to anyone. Especially considering that period of time, when I dropped out of uni.

Anyway, so, recently, I've been thinking to make an Instagram again. But I don't know if it's stupid if I do when I don't have any close friends to follow on there. Only people I 'know'/'knew' from school. Do you think they'll feel sorry for me or something when they see I'm only following the same old people from school after this 2 year hiatus? A hiatus in which no one knew what I was getting up to - working, studying etc. After I dropped out in my first year of uni I took a gap year kind of thing in which I basically did nothing (what I was supposed to be doing flopped) and now I'm in first year of uni again. I've made no new friends for years - mostly because of my personality type. I don't connect with a lot of people.

Anyway, will they think I'm a loser?

Be honest please. Also, I'm really not fussed about not having social media or following people I know. And I already have a private instagram which I just use as a gallery kinda thing for my photography, and where I'm only following family members. I guess I'm just thinking about making Insta again because of this whole quarantine free-time thing.

Alway, thanks for reading. This is longer than I thought it would be haha
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 days ago
The 'alway' at the end of this is supposed to be 'anyway'*

I said 'anyway' too many times in this lol
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Don't worry.
Social media is there for: fun, chat, win freebies, advertise businesses and make money.
If you don't enjoy using social media or feel that you don't gain from having an account- it's fine to spend your time on something you actually enjoy.
My toy animals instagram account attracts more likes and has more followers than mine does. :cool:
Anonymous #2
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I deleted my social media around 2 years ago for a variety of reasons.

1. It just started to feel stupid. Who was I posting for? Why am I posting for people I don't care about and who don't care about me? And who only care if I post a pretty picture of myself?

2. The followers I had on there I wasn't close to, they're just school friends/people I knew.

3. I was bored of social media and felt like there was no need for people to know what I'm getting up to and for me to know what they're up to. I don't need to compare myself to anyone. Especially considering that period of time, when I dropped out of uni.

Anyway, so, recently, I've been thinking to make an Instagram again. But I don't know if it's stupid if I do when I don't have any close friends to follow on there. Only people I 'know'/'knew' from school. Do you think they'll feel sorry for me or something when they see I'm only following the same old people from school after this 2 year hiatus? A hiatus in which no one knew what I was getting up to - working, studying etc. After I dropped out in my first year of uni I took a gap year kind of thing in which I basically did nothing (what I was supposed to be doing flopped) and now I'm in first year of uni again. I've made no new friends for years - mostly because of my personality type. I don't connect with a lot of people.

Anyway, will they think I'm a loser?

Be honest please. Also, I'm really not fussed about not having social media or following people I know. And I already have a private instagram which I just use as a gallery kinda thing for my photography, and where I'm only following family members. I guess I'm just thinking about making Insta again because of this whole quarantine free-time thing.

Alway, thanks for reading. This is longer than I thought it would be haha
Wooow i finally meet someone who has the same thought process as me. I perfectly understand , i beleive there is nothing more useless than posting stuff about our life to total strangers, when ppl go somewhere instead of living the moment they start to take pics for the IG or whatever it is just ridiculous. And trust me just because you are different doesnt mean you are a loser, when you try to blend in with the rest of the society and change who you are.. that is when you become a loser
mathsalevels
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I agree with a lot of your points about social media. I’ll tell the people I care about if I do something interesting. The rest of the people following me won’t care or will think of a way to judge what I’m doing. I still have social media because I can talk to my friends on it.

They shouldn’t think you’re a loser. People who spend their whole life on social media judging everyone may be a loser. It’s your decision and you can spend more time with the people you’re talking to instead of looking at your phone.

You could make an account if you want to but don’t feel like you have to.
Anonymous #3
Report 2 days ago
Given that you made the plunge and deleted social media in the first place, you're clearly a strong, independent minded person. So you shouldn't care what people think about you if you get social media again? Plus trust me, people are usually way too busy stressing about their own insecurities to judge you.
Lilli22
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
I don't think you should care what anyone else thinks. It doesn't add anything to your life when thinking about what people may or may not be thinking about you. Just live your own life. Do what makes you happy as long as you don't hurt yourself or anyone else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (82)
61.65%
No (51)
38.35%

Watched Threads