Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have just finished my First Year studying at the University of Birmingham however, I have struggled to find much enjoyment in my time there. I have not found the course particularly engaging or challenging. I despise living on a campus and find it hugely claustrophobic and detached. I've found most of the other freshers who I have to spend most of my time with (accommodation/on my course) quite judgemental and immature. Usually I love nights out but rarely enjoy Brum's.
I seriously considered dropping out at the end of the first semester. Although I have some nice friends, am in two sports teams, go out 2/3 times per week and doing well on my course it doesn't feel right. I laugh a lot but do not feel genuinely happy or fulfilled. The whole thing feels so surreal as though it’s not real life. I am dreading returning to Brum and living in my 2nd year house and don’t know how I will be able to do two more years. My mum keeps telling me I just need to survive and get through it but I would love to actually enjoy uni. However, I do want a degree and love the social aspect of uni.
I am considering looking into transferring to Bristol or Leeds (preferably into Second Year) as I feel they would suit me better.
Have people found that in second year you found your people or suited your place more?
Was transferring worth it?
If you transferred into 2nd year, did you get a house that had a free space with other 2nd years or go into fresher accommodation?
Nothing against the uni/course - I have so many mates who adore it, just hasn't seemed to work for me xx
savannah1708
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I think if your not happy it would be worth the gamble.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have just finished my First Year studying at the University of Birmingham however, I have struggled to find much enjoyment in my time there. I have not found the course particularly engaging or challenging. I despise living on a campus and find it hugely claustrophobic and detached. I've found most of the other freshers who I have to spend most of my time with (accommodation/on my course) quite judgemental and immature. Usually I love nights out but rarely enjoy Brum's.
I seriously considered dropping out at the end of the first semester. Although I have some nice friends, am in two sports teams, go out 2/3 times per week and doing well on my course it doesn't feel right. I laugh a lot but do not feel genuinely happy or fulfilled. The whole thing feels so surreal as though it’s not real life. I am dreading returning to Brum and living in my 2nd year house and don’t know how I will be able to do two more years. My mum keeps telling me I just need to survive and get through it but I would love to actually enjoy uni. However, I do want a degree and love the social aspect of uni.
I am considering looking into transferring to Bristol or Leeds (preferably into Second Year) as I feel they would suit me better.
Have people found that in second year you found your people or suited your place more?
If you transferred into 2nd year, did you get a house that had a free space with other 2nd years or go into fresher accommodation?
Nothing against the uni/course - I have so many mates who adore it, just hasn't seemed to work for me xx
You should research the other two.
You should id whats wrong with your current situation (you have) and then think about how it would be better at the new place.
Bristol is going to be more expensive and slightly more affluent.
Leeds imo going to be just as social but maybe more down to earth. You should know your own environment.

The one thing I would point out for transfers is your social skills need to be good enough to make new friends as people can be cliqued off in second year plus with a student house you could be the clique plus 1 so choose carefully. Its not freshers anymore where people are desperate to make friends. You sound as thiough you cna hold your own.

Do your research on all aspects and see if one comes out as clear winner. I would switch as you sound like you want a full good uni experience and if so then it has to happen now and dont start second year.

The TSR transfer faq is.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1781424
rimstone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
best decide now and chose your new uni wisely, past the first yr, it's a foolish idea to drop out of uni unless you have someone willing to pay a yr of uni fees and living. Also, it might be a good idea to think of uni is what you really want, instead of sinking another yr to drop out... seen that happen most of the time.

Most people put up with uni mate....... I loved the social aspect and the mates I meet, but my course and uni, in general, ran me through the gutter and I despised my course 90% of the time.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello

I completed a top-up degree where I could join into the second year. Although I didn't move into student housing I did stay in the university halls in the second year (with second year +) so I still made friends outside of my course and had somewhere I could be sure was safe to stay.

If you are looking to transfer to another university and want to check if you could join into a flat of second years (rather than freshers) you could contact their accommodation team. I'm sure they would be happy to help!

Patrick :lep:
UniOfLincolnStudent
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hello,

I can understand that university is difficult and when you are not enjoying yourself it can become very challenging. I think that it would definitely be worth looking into other universities to see if you can transfer straight into second year. Once you decide on a University, it may be worth finding local facebook groups where students advertise rooms in shared houses, as these are usually with second or third years. I know some people on my course who have transferred from other Universities into second or even third year. These students seem to be enjoying themselves, I think sometimes a change of environment can certainly do you good. Just because you have not enjoyed this year at Birmingham does not mean you will not have a really enjoyable second and third year at a different university.

I am not sure if it would suit your course or situation, but I am currently a student at the University of Lincoln. Our campus is very close to the town centre (5-10 minute walk) and Lincoln is a lovely city. It is also a fairly small city which gives it a bit more of a community feel. Although, it still has a lot to offer and there is plenty to do. You can view a full list of our courses here. I would also advise joining some sports or societies wherever you go as these offer a great opportunity to make friends with likeminded people.

I hope this helps, best of luck in deciding what you are going to do next. It is not an easy decision, make sure you look into all of the options and gather as much information as possible to help you decide.

Jack
Anonymous #1
(Original post by 999tigger)
You should research the other two.
You should id whats wrong with your current situation (you have) and then think about how it would be better at the new place.
Bristol is going to be more expensive and slightly more affluent.
Leeds imo going to be just as social but maybe more down to earth. You should know your own environment.

The one thing I would point out for transfers is your social skills need to be good enough to make new friends as people can be cliqued off in second year plus with a student house you could be the clique plus 1 so choose carefully. Its not freshers anymore where people are desperate to make friends. You sound as thiough you cna hold your own.

Do your research on all aspects and see if one comes out as clear winner. I would switch as you sound like you want a full good uni experience and if so then it has to happen now and dont start second year.

The TSR transfer faq is.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1781424
Thankya so much - will defo go and do some more research! Ur advice sounds fab xx
Anonymous #1
(Original post by UniOfLincolnStudent)
Hello,

I can understand that university is difficult and when you are not enjoying yourself it can become very challenging. I think that it would definitely be worth looking into other universities to see if you can transfer straight into second year. Once you decide on a University, it may be worth finding local facebook groups where students advertise rooms in shared houses, as these are usually with second or third years. I know some people on my course who have transferred from other Universities into second or even third year. These students seem to be enjoying themselves, I think sometimes a change of environment can certainly do you good. Just because you have not enjoyed this year at Birmingham does not mean you will not have a really enjoyable second and third year at a different university.

I am not sure if it would suit your course or situation, but I am currently a student at the University of Lincoln. Our campus is very close to the town centre (5-10 minute walk) and Lincoln is a lovely city. It is also a fairly small city which gives it a bit more of a community feel. Although, it still has a lot to offer and there is plenty to do. You can view a full list of our courses here. I would also advise joining some sports or societies wherever you go as these offer a great opportunity to make friends with likeminded people.

I hope this helps, best of luck in deciding what you are going to do next. It is not an easy decision, make sure you look into all of the options and gather as much information as possible to help you decide.

Jack
Thanks Jack - such very wise/helpful advice!! Lincoln sounds tempting!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (337)
34.74%
No (633)
65.26%

Watched Threads