hina5701
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey
So I've done a practical on investigating the effect of different concentrations of ethanol on heart rate of daphnia magna.
I have results of 5 different concentrations.
Would a statistical test be applied, if yes which one and how?

Thank Youuuuu
lyer_in_hellfyre
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by hina5701)
Hey
So I've done a practical on investigating the effect of different concentrations of ethanol on heart rate of daphnia magna.
I have results of 5 different concentrations.
Would a statistical test be applied, if yes which one and how?

Thank Youuuuu
First off, what are the statistical tests you know of :hmmmm:
hina5701
Rep:
?
(Original post by lyer_in_hellfyre)
First off, what are the statistical tests you know of :hmmmm:
standard deviation
t-tests
chi-squared tests
lyer_in_hellfyre
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
standard deviation
t-tests
chi-squared tests
Standard deviation wouldnt be classed into statistical test but yep other two you've mentioned are

Chi square test - its used to see how close are experimental results to the expected results (frequently used in genetics related question )

Student's T-test - is used to compare two sets of data which are normally distributed. ( eg: surface area of leaves in shady and light conditions)

Spearman's correlation coefficient : test the strength of correlation between two variables ( eg correlation between aggression and testosterone levels )

Out of the three, which do you think is suitable?
Last edited by lyer_in_hellfyre; 1 week ago
hina5701
Rep:
?
That's what i am struggling with. I dont have 2 variable's as I have used 5 different concentrations of ethanol rather than two. So would a statistical test be applied or not? I'm not sure how to do it with 5.
hina5701
Rep:
?
Standard deviation wouldnt be classed into statistical test but yep other two you've mentioned are

Chi square test - its used to see how close are experimental results to the expected results (frequently used in genetics related question )

Student's T-test - is used to compare two sets of data which are normally distributed. ( eg: surface area of leaves in shady and light conditions)

Spearman's correlation coefficient : test the strength of correlation between two variables ( eg correlation between aggression and testosterone levels )

Out of the three, which do you think is suitable?
That's what i am struggling with. I dont have 2 variable's as I have used 5 different concentrations of ethanol rather than two. So would a statistical test be applied or not? I'm not sure how to do it with 5.

Do you think if I was to get expected data for these concentration i'd be able to do the chi-squared test?
lyer_in_hellfyre
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Do you think if I was to get expected data for these concentration i'd be able to do the chi-squared test?
Ah but you've got two variables the concentration of ethanol and the heart rate of Daphnia.
The different concentrations of ethanol all are under one indepent variable : concentration of ethanol

Certainly not chi square since we havent got expected results...
hina5701
Rep:
?
Ah but you've got two variables the concentration of ethanol and the heart rate of Daphnia.
The different concentrations of ethanol all are under one indepent variable : concentration of ethanol

Certainly not chi square since we havent got expected results...
oooh I see, so would I carry out the spearman's correlation test? to see the strength between the relationship? As conc. of ethanol increases, the heart rate decreases. so the value would determine the strength of correlation, there fore supporting my hypothesis?
lyer_in_hellfyre
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
oooh I see, so would I carry out the spearman's correlation test? to see the strength between the relationship? As conc. of ethanol increases, the heart rate decreases. so the value would determine the strength of correlation, there fore supporting my hypothesis?
Aye yepp :yy:
hina5701
Rep:
?
aye yepp :yy:
omgggg thank you so muchhhh!!!
Spoiler:
Show

lyer_in_hellfyre
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
omgggg thank you so muchhhh!!!
Spoiler:
Show

Glad to help its tricky and yep ive struggled w/ it it too but once we practice examples for we get an idea
hina5701
Rep:
?
Glad to help its tricky and yep ive struggled w/ it it too but once we practice examples for we get an idea
True, your help was appreciated a lot definitely would ask you again if I need anything. Thank you once againnn.
lyer_in_hellfyre
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
True, your help was appreciated a lot definitely would ask you again if I need anything. Thank you once againnn.
Cheers :yy: Let's help each other
hina5701
Rep:
?
Cheers :yy: Let's help each other
Coolio
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads