can I get an offer below entry requirements?

Watch
satsun
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Lots of courses and unis I’m interested in have entry requirements of A*AA and I would say I might be predicted AAA. can I get into these unis with these predictions?
PetitePanda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What year are you in?
satsun
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
What year are you in?
Year 12, will be applying for 2021 entry.
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by satsun)
Year 12, will be applying for 2021 entry.
It depends on how lenient the uni is. If a uni asking for A*AA then they'll be strict. You can get a lower offer through contextual but Oxbridge doesn't do these (if it's on your list). You can get lower offers through access schemes as well but you probably will on eligible for the ones in yr 13. You can also get a lower offer if you firm then and at some unis, you can get a lower offer through EPQ. What unis do you want to apply for?
satsun
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
It depends on how lenient the uni is. If a uni asking for A*AA then they'll be strict. You can get a lower offer through contextual but Oxbridge doesn't do these (if it's on your list). You can get lower offers through access schemes as well but you probably will on eligible for the ones in yr 13. You can also get a lower offer if you firm then and at some unis, you can get a lower offer through EPQ. What unis do you want to apply for?
they’re all quite competitive: Kings, UCL, Manchester
PetitePanda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Look at researching
https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/widening-participation/wp
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/widening-parti...year-12-and-13
https://www.ucl.ac.uk/widening-parti...pecific-groups
https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/u...ring-students/
Last edited by PetitePanda; 1 week ago
GoogGooglyMoogly
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Lots of courses and unis I’m interested in have entry requirements of A*AA and I would say I might be predicted AAA. can I get into these unis with these predictions?
Yes - With thé exception COI - Also dépendent on subject. But regardless, I got predicted ABBB and applied to 4 uni’s with requirements of AAB-A*AA and got offers from all of them.
swanseajack1
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes you can apply and you may get offers which will be the higher grades. Sometimes universities will accept you with a dropped grade and sometimes not. You also need to look at some universities who offer lower grades in case you get rejected. Perhaps apply to 2 at A*AA, 1 or 2 at AAA and 1 or 2 at AAB.
satsun
Rep:
?
even if I did get predicted A*AA is there still no guarantee of getting an offer?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
even if I did get predicted A*AA is there still no guarantee of getting an offer?
That is right. It all depends on how competitive the course is. Really competitive universities have many more applicants than places so they choose who to take. As an example Computer Science at Imperial has 18 applicants to 1 place. That is why you need to give yourself options. There is a sticky on here about how to avoid 5 rejections that has been written by someone who used to be an admissions tutor at Bristol. Have a read of that. There is a guy posting on here who has had 5 rejections for Computer Science with A*A*A predictions and is now looking for other optionS. There are other posts on here people having 5 rejections for Medicine and Dentistry. Just because you are predicted or achieved A*AA doesnt mean you will get offers. You need to ensure that you have a back up or preferably 2 in case of rejections.

BEng
Duration
3 years
full-time

Minimum entry
Three A-level offer: A* A* A

See full entry requirements

Applications : admissions ratio
18 : 1
Based on 2019 entry data
satsun
Rep:
?
(Original post by swanseajack1)
That is right. It all depends on how competitive the course is. Really competitive universities have many more applicants than places so they choose who to take. As an example Computer Science at Imperial has 18 applicants to 1 place. That is why you need to give yourself options. There is a sticky on here about how to avoid 5 rejections that has been written by someone who used to be an admissions tutor at Bristol. Have a read of that. There is a guy posting on here who has had 5 rejections for Computer Science with A*A*A predictions and is now looking for other optionS. There are other posts on here people having 5 rejections for Medicine and Dentistry. Just because you are predicted or achieved A*AA doesnt mean you will get offers. You need to ensure that you have a back up or preferably 2 in case of rejections.

BEng
Duration
3 years
full-time

Minimum entry
Three A-level offer: A* A* A

See full entry requirements

Applications : admissions ratio
18 : 1
Based on 2019 entry data
thanks for this!! I have seen my course is quite competitive and I’ve seen many people on TSR who applied for it who got rejected got offered a similar but less competitive course, is this common?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
thanks for this!! I have seen my course is quite competitive and I’ve seen many people on TSR who applied for it who got rejected got offered a similar but less competitive course, is this common
Yes some universities do that but it is up to you whether you accept it. I think universities use it to try and fill spaces but tell people they are better suited to that course.
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
here is a link to another rejection thread
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6417204
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is the sticky that I was referring to
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (228)
33.68%
No (449)
66.32%

Watched Threads