aeneas_son
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
hi everyone! so in light of the pandemic, of course everything's been thrown into a bit of a mess. our school would usually give us guidance on this, but i cant really do that since schools have been shut down, and no one in my family has attended uni in the uk before. so i wanted to ask how the entire application process works? i know about entry exams (i plan to study medicine and would have to take the BMAT and UCAT probably post-september now), but aside from that, what and when should i actually apply to, and how do i do it?

sorry if the question doesnt really make sense, im really just looking for basic uni application advice here considering i know near enough to nothing.
redmeercat
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For medicine, you have early application - deadline 15th October I think though you should check that! You'll use UCAS Apply, and you should be given a password by your school for when you make your account so that they can add your reference. When you've done this, you'll have to fill out your grades, personal statement, details etc. Your personal statement should be written in advance but you can fill the rest of the application out section-by-section and then add the PS (4000 characters/ 27 lines - whichever comes first).
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aeneas_son)
hi everyone! so in light of the pandemic, of course everything's been thrown into a bit of a mess. our school would usually give us guidance on this, but i cant really do that since schools have been shut down, and no one in my family has attended uni in the uk before. so i wanted to ask how the entire application process works? i know about entry exams (i plan to study medicine and would have to take the BMAT and UCAT probably post-september now), but aside from that, what and when should i actually apply to, and how do i do it?

sorry if the question doesnt really make sense, im really just looking for basic uni application advice here considering i know near enough to nothing.
Look at the UCAS website and the medicine section on here.

I'm sure school will be giving you advice virtually soon.
MedicPls
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You're gonna need to do some regular volunteering (e.g. at a carehome, soup kitchen or charity shop) and preferably organise some work experience too. Make sure you comment on these experiences and what you learnt from them in your personal statement!
aeneas_son
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by MedicPls)
You're gonna need to do some regular volunteering (e.g. at a carehome, soup kitchen or charity shop) and preferably organise some work experience too. Make sure you comment on these experiences and what you learnt from them in your personal statement!
this sucks, since i had a volunteering and work experience placement in place- id done volunteering for about two weeks, mentoring since last december, and was supposed to do work experience at my local gp around easter. but these all had to be stopped because of the virus. do you think i'll still be able to talk about them even though i hadn't volunteered for too long?
MedicPls
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by aeneas_son)
this sucks, since i had a volunteering and work experience placement in place- id done volunteering for about two weeks, mentoring since last december, and was supposed to do work experience at my local gp around easter. but these all had to be stopped because of the virus. do you think i'll still be able to talk about them even though i hadn't volunteered for too long?
yeah; to be honest I think you can half exaggerate how much you learnt from the experiences - but don't flat out lie! I think they'll be understanding if you can't get work experience, given the circumstances.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (228)
33.78%
No (447)
66.22%

Watched Threads