Year 12’s | Revision Support & Advice

Watch
Bethbxo
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Year 13 student here. I recently completed my second year at PPC, having took EPQ, English Literature (OCR) and Religious Studies (OCR). I also completed a year of History (again, OCR) before dropping the subject in second year - I have the notes (in full) for all 3 subjects.

I currently have a lot of free time, and I understand the perilous situation many of you have succumb to. If anybody takes these subjects and feels they may benefit from a little extra help (whether it be with content or coursework), get in touch. My email is [email protected]. All the best.
Last edited by Bethbxo; 1 week ago
PetitePanda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What topics did you do for history and what period of time did you do your coursework in? What examboard for the EPQ?
MrFreeeze
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
sent you an email ^
Bethbxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by PetitePanda)
What topics did you do for history and what period of time did you do your coursework in? What examboard for the EPQ?
The Early Tudors: 1485–1558
Russia: 1855-1964
Coursework Q was: ‘To what extent was Anne Boleyn the most significant reason for the Break with Rome?’ - if you’re going with a similar Q I have a complete list of sources for all 4 aspects (delays, kings great matter, church corruption and power and wealth). Hope this helps!

RE: EPQ, the exam board was AQA.
sm0009
Badges: 14
Report 1 week ago
Hi! Thanks so much for creating this thread - a fantastic idea

For History, I’m always 2/3 marks away from the top band - and I am never quite sure how to get into the top band and remain in the top band. In essence; what are those things that separate the A students from the A* students?
Bethbxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by sm0009)
Hi! Thanks so much for creating this thread - a fantastic idea

For History, I’m always 2/3 marks away from the top band - and I am never quite sure how to get into the top band and remain in the top band. In essence; what are those things that separate the A students from the A* students?
For a start, essay flow. The more you revise in the lead up to an exam, the more information you’ll absorb (which is great) but only if applied well. Don’t write everything you know about any one given topic - start with the conclusion in mind and think about where you want your essay to go. Continually refer back to the Q - make your essay fit the Q, not the Q fit your essay. As with your conclusion, your introduction is key - allow your intro to briefly frame the points you want to cover. I think it does depends greatly on the subject, however. For History, I’d say the main thing that differentiates between the middle and top bands is (and it sounds pretty obvious) but dates, for just as quotes and critical opinions are the backbone of any English essay, dates are the backbone of any History essay. Also, just make sure your grasp of the content is good. I achieved this through writing essays which enabled me to fit the vast body of content to a single question. It was incredibly helpful, although slightly time consuming. For English lit I had over 300 essays by A2!
sm0009
Badges: 14
Report 1 week ago
Thanks for answering my question about History. We actually (pretty much) do the exact same things, hence why I may ask a couple more questions if that's alright!

For my EPQ, aside from the -

Bibliography
(Relevant) footnotes
Literature Review
Glossary
Gantt Chart

What else is required for a strong A*?
Also, I was wondering what is included in the 5000(+/-10%) word count. Which of the above, or anything else, is actually included in the 5000 words?

Thanks so much, in times like these I really appreciate it
Bethbxo
Rep:
?
(Original post by sm0009)
Thanks for answering my question about History. We actually (pretty much) do the exact same things, hence why I may ask a couple more questions if that's alright!

For my EPQ, aside from the -

Bibliography
(Relevant) footnotes
Literature Review
Glossary
Gantt Chart

What else is required for a strong A*?
Also, I was wondering what is included in the 5000(+/-10%) word count. Which of the above, or anything else, is actually included in the 5000 words?

Thanks so much, in times like these I really appreciate it
Besides the essentials (which you listed), there are a few other additions which moved my grade from an A to an A*. Keep an EPQ diary listing the tasks you have completed per week/lesson and SMART targets. Annotate your Gantt chart with key changes from the initial to finalised draft. Make a note of initial ideas (in both your production log and on a separate word document) - perhaps add an evaluative piece including why you could/might/could not do said piece, e.g too close to other subjects, will aid in future study, ect. Include an academic glossary with key terms and their meanings. Keep a summary of key sources (in your own words). As well as your final bibliography, you need an annotated bibliography which can be done using CRAVEN criteria. Re primary research - if you’re doing primary research such as a survey or questionnaire, you could do a mini report listing your findings. If you want to see any examples, email me at [email protected]. You do seem really well positioned however!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (295)
34.26%
No (566)
65.74%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed