If I get A* for maths in a level, can I still study physics in a top university?

Watch
RebelDreaming
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I know it would probably have to be with a foundation year or something but would it be possible to do so?
PetitePanda
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you have physics A-level?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by RebelDreaming)
I know it would probably have to be with a foundation year or something but would it be possible to do so?
What other grades do you have and in what?
Why does it have to be with a foundation year?
Just check entrance requirements.
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedispl...t=MostRelevant
1st superstar
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
mnot might be able to help
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If I get A* for maths in a level, can I still study physics in a top university?
Yes, off this fact alone. Can you tell us any more information? Other subjects, what other grades?

Someone who gets an A* in maths imo is more than likely to get into a top Physics degree, as chances are they have also got pretty good grades as a whole (maybe A*AA, A*AB,A*BB...). But I sense there is more to this then you've told us in here, hence atm giving you a good answer is limited until we have more info.
(also fyi maths or FM are more important then physics A-level for studying degree level physics)
Last edited by mnot; 1 week ago
RebelDreaming
Rep:
?
I'm so sorry, I meant without taking an A level in physics. Should have clarified.
RebelDreaming
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
Yes, off this fact alone. Can you tell us any more information? Other subjects, what other grades?

Someone who gets an A* in maths imo is more than likely to get into a top Physics degree, as chances are they have also got pretty good grades as a whole (maybe A*AA, A*AB,A*BB...). But I sense there is more to this then you've told us in here, hence atm giving you a good answer is limited until we have more info.
(also fyi maths or FM are more important then physics A-level for studying degree level physics)
Yeah I meant maths at a level only, I'm just taking maths and not fm or physics.
RebelDreaming
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
What other grades do you have and in what?
Why does it have to be with a foundation year?
Just check entrance requirements.
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedispl...t=MostRelevant
I've just heard that it would be in someone's best interest to take a foundation year if they didn't study the course for A level because of the lack of experience they may have at first compared to students who did.
Pharyngotympanic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Top university? Top for what?
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mnot)
Yes, off this fact alone.
:laugh: yes, exactly.
RebelDreaming
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pharyngotympanic)
Top university? Top for what?
um physics
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yeah I meant maths at a level only, I'm just taking maths and not fm or physics.
So to get into a 'top' uni, I think you'll need a foundation year as most ask for, at least math & physics or math & FM.
Quite a few very well respected physics programs have foundation years tho.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you like maths too - the easiest way for you to get into (at least theoretical) physics would probably be through a maths degree, to be honest. Some maths courses have strong theoretical physics components. (Cambridge's maths course doubles as a theoretical physics course and Warwick allows you to take a lot of physics. Though these both require further maths)

A foundation year is another option, if you're not interested in maths.
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
:laugh: yes, exactly.
classic TSR,
keeps me coming back tho
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by mnot)
classic TSR,
keeps me coming back tho
Same here :rofl:
I had a 'if I get 11 A*s can I get into Cambridge' question yesterday. The questioner was in Year 9...
Pharyngotympanic
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
um physics
What makes a top university for physics?
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Reality Check)
Same here :rofl:
I had a 'if I get 11 A*s can I get into Cambridge' question yesterday. The questioner was in Year 9...
And as we all know, grades are just the starting point if you want to get into a top uni for any subject.
Reality Check
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
And as we all know, grades are just the starting point if you want to get into a top uni for any subject.
Exactly
RebelDreaming
Rep:
?
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
lol which means ?
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
lol which means ?
It means what I said. To get in to a top uni, yes you need top grades but then you need to do research into a certain aspect of your subject you find interesting then do other enrichment, such as if you want to be a medic, go to St John Ambulance. This is what my son did to get into Oxford for medicine.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (256)
33.82%
No (501)
66.18%

Watched Threads