Calling all Next employees Watch

lethal1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
hey all, I really really want to work for next retail. My CV to date includes working at:

GAP retail: 3 months christmass job
TK Max: just over a year

currently unemployed and 18 years old

Questions I want to ask:

What experiences have you got when you got the job?
When did you apply?
How easy isit to get a job there?
How was the interview?
Would they employ me?
pamelaa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hi. I work in Next. They're not recruiting until September now however you can hand it in and they'll contact you... They have all the staff they need just now because they'll have recruited the temps they want.
I applied as a 3 week temp during the summer hols & now have a part-time saturday job. You don't need to have much experience it was/is my first job and the only experience I had was a paper round (which lasted a week) and my work experience working in a restaurant. I'd say it was fairly easy to get a job there especially during the sales. During the interview they mainly asked about customer service, it's not hard they have a set number of questions which they read off a card.
xKarinx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Yeah Next have just finished hiring but there's no harm sending your CV in, they'll keep hold of it for when they are recruiting again.

When i got the job i had 3 months work experience at Woolworths, 2 weeks at an office and a week working in a lab for work experience at school.

The interview is pretty easy, just a few of the regular type questions you'll usually get at an interview: how you'd deal with certain scenario's, customer service etc

I work in the office, but i applied for a sales assistant position so the interview will be the same. And i got that job with no real office experience
lethal1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
oright excellent, i will go in and drop my cv to a store. I would also add a covering letter too for but thanks for the help and advise.

do you think they may not take me on as I have too much retail experience then?
xKarinx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by lethal1)
oright excellent, i will go in and drop my cv to a store. I would also add a covering letter too for but thanks for the help and advise.

do you think they may not take me on as I have too much retail experience then?
I doubt it will do you any harm having retail experience. Most of the people i know that were hired with little retail experience were only given temp positions. I think i got offered the office job just because i had some office experience and because i could work permanent.

And i'll just add that i overheard some of the managers at my store saying they may need to recruit again soon, so this may be the case in some other places too.

Good luck!
yoshifumu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
How much is the pay rate at next as well? thinking about applying meself in London.
xKarinx
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by yoshifumu)
How much is the pay rate at next as well? thinking about applying meself in London.
Where i work it's £4.92 for under 18's (i think) and £5.71 for over 18's. I'd imagine it's more in London though
pamelaa
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I get paid £4.94 and I'm 17.
arsenal111
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
6.13 in central london
yoshifumu
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Thanks a bunch.
Tpward
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hi, my girlfriend works for next and they are making her work Xmas day for 1 hour, 9-10am. Is this right? No extra pay or day in lieu. No public transport thus 3 hrs to get there for 1 hr minimum wage. Just doesn't seem right... Do u know any more to help?
DeceitfulDove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tpward)
Hi, my girlfriend works for next and they are making her work Xmas day for 1 hour, 9-10am. Is this right? No extra pay or day in lieu. No public transport thus 3 hrs to get there for 1 hr minimum wage. Just doesn't seem right... Do u know any more to help?
I worked there for 5 years and this seems pretty weird! What on earth would she be doing?! Normally there's a crazy rush up to xmas getting ready for the sale, then everyone works Christmas eve setting up the floor for sale then you're back in early for sale boxing day. There should be no reason to get someone in on xmas day when they could easily spare someone's hour on xmas eve. Confused.
DeceitfulDove
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also, is she a sales assistant? How long has she been there? If it was me, I would phone them tomorrow and say sorry but there's no way I can get in but I'm willing to do an extra hour/ do whatever needs doing on xmas eve.
Tpward
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JennaEmBee)
Also, is she a sales assistant? How long has she been there? If it was me, I would phone them tomorrow and say sorry but there's no way I can get in but I'm willing to do an extra hour/ do whatever needs doing on xmas eve.
she was taken on as temp xmas staff but the store is in a bad way and new management. She has told me they need to go in for it. It seems really strange to me, ruin xmas day with family for 1 hour!!! £6.31 when it takes 3 hours travel… don't get it but as she is new she doesn't want to say no...
adh5643
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It looks like a Rota mistake, as the system rotas people in automatically as a normal day.. then managers have to manually take off everyones shifts.. but this looks like the manager has missed it off.. but it won't be open on Xmas day.. just speak to a manager .. it should be fine.. don't be afraid to speak up.. there is no requirement to work on Xmas day at all .. or mentioned anywhere.. I'm sure this is all a simple mis understanding

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you give blood?

Yes (35)
11.15%
I used to but I don't now (11)
3.5%
No, but I want to start (113)
35.99%
No, I am unable to (69)
21.97%
No, I chose not to (86)
27.39%