The Student Room Group

Feel like my degree was a waste of time

I graduated last July with a 2:1 in a maths from a Russel group uni.

I didn’t really know what I wanted to do after graduating and so have tried to get a job in various different sectors.

At first I decided I’d rather work with people and so went for a lot of interviews with recruitment firms. However I often received feedback along the lines of why don’t you do something maths related like accountancy ect to which I replied that this isn’t where I see myself going in terms of a career. Despite saying this I still received countless rejections, and failed to secure a role in this sector...

So I decided after this to change tactic and apply for roles that would use my maths skills. However I have failed to get through the online tests for all of the companies listed below and therefore haven’t managed to secure a role in this sector.

List of companies interviewed with and subsequently rejected

Recruitment firms:
Micheal Page
Hayes
Protcol
Teacher active
PK Education
Recart
Forsyth Barnes
Reed
Hi- Talent
Marlin Green
Oliver Bernard
Hunter Bond
Rubin Sinclair

Other companies offering grad schemes/ grad jobs that I have received rejections from...

Deloitte
Unilever
•PWC
KPMG
•BDO audit grad scheme
imperial college grad management scheme
Ambitious futures uni leadership grad scheme
•Capital One product manager grad job
•Marsh companies insurance grad scheme
DLG leadership grad scheme
P&G
•Pareto Law assessment day for tech consulting roles
Tesco supply chain grad scheme
Ocado supply chain grad scheme
Sainsbury’s data analyst grad role
HR graduate role at a financial services firm
Grant Thornton consulting grad scheme

So I guess at this point I’m somewhat thinking why did I bother doing a maths degree as it seems like I am not capable of a job that involves numbers and the jobs that don’t require numbers people just assume I’ll get a job that uses numbers!

For example yesterday I received a call from a company I’m in the recruitment process for and they said that I come across as bright, ambitious, with lots of self- motivation but that they are concerned whether this is the right career for me and that I should try and get a role in a more maths related field. This is super frustrating as I’ve tried to get a job in this sector but the super long application processes often mean I fail at the initial hurdles.

Any advice- really struggling to stay motivated with this graduate job search.

Thanks guys 😊
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Maths is an axcellent degree. Don't feel bad and under-estimate your achievements here. The problem is not you as such, but the fact that these companies have too many applications and too few jobs available for graduates. Keep applying and always keep your options open. Don't bother applying for things you clearly don't have the skills for though - I've made this mistake. Apply for jobs where you clearly match the role.

The numerical tests are more about accuracy than speed. Both are important, but if in doubt, either skip the question or work at getting it correct. Don't guess if you can avoid it. The situational tests are all about avoiding both confrontation and criticising anyone directly to their face. Take ownership of tasks and make decisions rather than ask all the time for help is something I've noted as well. The diagram tests can usually be practised quite easily. Look for patterns in shape, colour, size and number of objects.

You can use Microsoft Xbox game bar (comes preinstalled on all Windows machines) to take screenshots of all tests using the "windows key + alt key + PrtSc" key. This is useful so that you can look back on previous tests.

I would look up terms in job descriptions such as "mathematical modelling" or "statistician". These should highlight some more relevant jobs. Data science is an area you should continue to apply to, provided you've done any form of advanced statistics that the industry uses, e.g. POD, Fourier analysis with signal processing or whatever. I'd avoid anything related to engineering. Ignore any feedback you get - most of it is rubbish/ made-up. Only occassionally do you actually get useful feedback.

Regardng mental health, it is helpful to have some hobbies that you can take part in during the application process. This can be MOOC courses, home projects, sports clubs etc. This is useful because occassionally you can use them on your CV and you can also mention them during interviews. It also allows you to make good use of your time, if you aren't already in part-time/full-time work.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 0le
Maths is an axcellent degree. Don't feel bad and under-estimate your achievements here. The problem is not you as such, but the fact that these companies have too many applications and too few jobs available for graduates. Keep applying and always keep your options open. Don't bother applying for things you clearly don't have the skills for though - I've made this mistake. Apply for jobs where you clearly match the role.

The numerical tests are more about accuracy than speed. Both are important, but if in doubt, either skip the question or work at getting it correct. Don't guess if you can avoid it. The situational tests are all about avoiding both confrontation and criticising anyone directly to their face. Take ownership of tasks and make decisions rather than ask all the time for help is something I've noted as well. The diagram tests can usually be practised quite easily. Look for patterns in shape, colour, size and number of objects.

You can use Microsoft Xbox game bar (comes preinstalled on all Windows machines) to take screenshots of all tests using the "windows key + alt key + PrtSc" key. This is useful so that you can look back on previous tests.

I would look up terms in job descriptions such as "mathematical modelling" or "statistician". These should highlight some more relevant jobs. Data science is an area you should continue to apply to, provided you've done any form of advanced statistics that the industry uses, e.g. POD, Fourier analysis with signal processing or whatever. I'd avoid anything related to engineering. Ignore any feedback you get - most of it is rubbish/ made-up. Only occassionally do you actually get useful feedback.

Regardng mental health, it is helpful to have some hobbies that you can take part in during the application process. This can be MOOC courses, home projects, sports clubs etc. This is useful because occassionally you can use them on your CV and you can also mention them during interviews. It also allows you to make good use of your time, if you aren't already in part-time/full-time work.

Hey thanks for the advice, and yeh sadly it does seem to be the case that I’m fighting against literally thousands of fellow graduates for these positions.

In terms of my degree I only did a stats module in first year and got 45% as I didn’t really understand it and found it really difficult so I can’t really go into anything stats related. Even programming stuff like r or matlab I couldn’t get my head round despite using it loads in my degree so I know I don’t want a job that requires using those sorts of programmes.

And yeh I know feedback is often just very subjective and not actually helpful. For example one of the recruitment firms I had an interview with gave me a rejection the same day via email and it said that despite the fact I came across as very bright switched on ect they were concerned that I’d just end up doing a grad scheme.... it’s a concerning pattern that I’m being rejected for roles with the reason being that the employer assumes I’ll just get offered a grad job elsewhere? Where is the logic in that.

I feel like sometimes people just assume that if you did a stem degree at a Russel group then you’re basically guaranteed a job, and tbh I probably thought the same. But now it’s nearly April and I graduated 8 months ago and I still haven’t been able to find myself a decent job.

I apply for things on a pretty daily basis too, like later today I’ll be looking into more audit grad schemes. Just really want to find something that I can get stuck into!
Original post by fefssdf
I graduated last July with a 2:1 in a maths from a Russel group uni.

I didn’t really know what I wanted to do after graduating and so have tried to get a job in various different sectors.

At first I decided I’d rather work with people and so went for a lot of interviews with recruitment firms. However I often received feedback along the lines of why don’t you do something maths related like accountancy ect to which I replied that this isn’t where I see myself going in terms of a career. Despite saying this I still received countless rejections, and failed to secure a role in this sector...

So I decided after this to change tactic and apply for roles that would use my maths skills. However I have failed to get through the online tests for all of the companies listed below and therefore haven’t managed to secure a role in this sector.

List of companies interviewed with and subsequently rejected

Recruitment firms:
Micheal Page
Hayes
Protcol
Teacher active
PK Education
Recart
Forsyth Barnes
Reed
Hi- Talent
Marlin Green
Oliver Bernard
Hunter Bond
Rubin Sinclair

Other companies offering grad schemes/ grad jobs that I have received rejections from...

Deloitte
Unilever
•PWC
KPMG
•BDO audit grad scheme
imperial college grad management scheme
Ambitious futures uni leadership grad scheme
•Capital One product manager grad job
•Marsh companies insurance grad scheme
DLG leadership grad scheme
P&G
•Pareto Law assessment day for tech consulting roles
Tesco supply chain grad scheme
Ocado supply chain grad scheme
Sainsbury’s data analyst grad role
HR graduate role at a financial services firm
Grant Thornton consulting grad scheme

So I guess at this point I’m somewhat thinking why did I bother doing a maths degree as it seems like I am not capable of a job that involves numbers and the jobs that don’t require numbers people just assume I’ll get a job that uses numbers!

For example yesterday I received a call from a company I’m in the recruitment process for and they said that I come across as bright, ambitious, with lots of self- motivation but that they are concerned whether this is the right career for me and that I should try and get a role in a more maths related field. This is super frustrating as I’ve tried to get a job in this sector but the super long application processes often mean I fail at the initial hurdles.

Any advice- really struggling to stay motivated with this graduate job search.

Thanks guys 😊

It's always unfortunate when company's waste your time and they already know you had a Maths degree to begin with. I would suggest not to apply for position that are aim at graduates, since you're not good at online test. I don't have a lot of experience and I find that the roles that I actually landed were entry level positions but are not necessarily classify for "graduates" if that makes sense.
Reply 4
Original post by Goldenparadise
It's always unfortunate when company's waste your time and they already know you had a Maths degree to begin with. I would suggest not to apply for position that are aim at graduates, since you're not good at online test. I don't have a lot of experience and I find that the roles that I actually landed were entry level positions but are not necessarily classify for "graduates" if that makes sense.

yeh, I do wonder sometimes why a company would see on my cv that I studied maths and then invite me to interview and then say that actually they don't want to hire a maths graduate after I've traveled to meet with them face to face.
And yeh I know what you mean tbh recently I have been trying to broaden my horizons and apply for other positions that are not branded as ' graduate ' roles but often there is an issue of them seeing your cv and just assuming you will go and get a graduate position.

At this rate I think I will end up doing teacher training which isn't what I want to do but I feel like I am running out of options as I am currently unemployed too...
Original post by fefssdf
yeh, I do wonder sometimes why a company would see on my cv that I studied maths and then invite me to interview and then say that actually they don't want to hire a maths graduate after I've traveled to meet with them face to face.
And yeh I know what you mean tbh recently I have been trying to broaden my horizons and apply for other positions that are not branded as ' graduate ' roles but often there is an issue of them seeing your cv and just assuming you will go and get a graduate position.

At this rate I think I will end up doing teacher training which isn't what I want to do but I feel like I am running out of options as I am currently unemployed too...

I think since you're unemployed you should do the teaching role for now. A lot of employers prefer that you're doing something rather than doing nothing. If not try to get a part time job even if its store work and do another part time volunteer position for more of technical experience. If you live had home with you parents you don't have to worry about bill for the moment, but get out there and do let this stress you out.
I think since you're unemployed you should do the teaching role for now. A lot of employers prefer that you're doing something rather than doing nothing. If not try to get a part time job even if its store work and do another part time volunteer position for more of technical experience. If you live had home with you parents you don't have to worry about bill for the moment, but get out there and do let this stress you out.

That's terrible advice - we don't need teachers who have no interest in being teachers; it is NOT a soft option.
Original post by Muttley79
That's terrible advice - we don't need teachers who have no interest in being teachers; it is NOT a soft option.

I gave Op two options not necessary just teaching. At the moment he/she is unemployed, therefore they can doing something in the meantime. What's your suggestion? Because based upon the post that op made it's clear that stress and frustration is kicking in and sitting down doing nothing is only going to make it worst. I wish I had someone like to tell most of sixth form teacher how horrible they are forcing 17 years to go to university when half of them can barely obtain a post university job.
I gave Op two options not necessary just teaching. At the moment he/she is unemployed, therefore they can doing something in the meantime. What's your suggestion? Because based upon the post that op made it's clear that stress and frustration is kicking in and sitting down doing nothing is only going to make it worst. I wish I had someone like to tell most of sixth form teacher how horrible they are forcing 17 years to go to university when half of them can barely obtain a post university job.

Students CHOOSE to go to university - no teacher forces a student to go it tends to be parents actually.
Reply 9
Which of the online tests are you failing on? Have they given you percentile scores if its the reasoning tests?
Original post by fefssdf

PLEASE do not do this - what work experience do you have? Are you volunteering now?

I would suggest you get some careers advice and look for something that does not require a degree initially?

@Simbasoul
Students CHOOSE to go to university - no teacher forces a student to go it tends to be parents actually.

I choose to go university but I saw my personal tutor force students to apply for university when they didn't want to go or unsure about what they wanted to do. This is not an attack and I just stating something based on what I've seen and heard (and this might not be the case for everyone including op), my tutor intentions were probable good but hey sometimes it doesn't work out.
Op only become a teacher if it's something you truly want to do. As mention before please looking into volunteering given this corona virus thing plenty of organisation are looking for people to volunteer at various levels. Good luck.
Russell group uni don't mean much lol. just means they have money.

I know plenty of unemployed people from Manchester and imperial who done engineering
I choose to go university but I saw my personal tutor force students to apply for university when they didn't want to go or unsure about what they wanted to do. This is not an attack and I just stating something based on what I've seen and heard (and this might not be the case for everyone including op), my tutor intentions were probable good but hey sometimes it doesn't work out.

What did you do to complain? How were they 'forced' - it's a choice. Sounds like a very strange school to me.
Reply 15

I was working as a cover supervisor in schools but as a result of the schools closures I am now unemployed :/ I was also doing an ad hoc catering assistant job too at my old uni but since the uni has now closed I can’t do this job either :/
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
PLEASE do not do this - what work experience do you have? Are you volunteering now?

I would suggest you get some careers advice and look for something that does not require a degree initially?

@Simbasoul

I’ve got around 6 months experience working as a cover supervisor in schools. I’ve also done an admin temp job at my old university. I was a team leader with ncs after uni as a summer job. I also worked various jobs during my degree including a catering assistant ect.

I sadly became unemployed as of last week, as I was working in a school as a cover supervisor through an agency but sadly the school closures mean I am getting no work through the agency and therefore no pay...
Reply 17
Original post by ajj2000
Which of the online tests are you failing on? Have they given you percentile scores if its the reasoning tests?

Pretty much everything tbh
Situational judgement tests, numerical tests, non verbal reasoning

I also struggle to pass these new style game assessments too.

The only times I’ve passed the online tests have been with the Tesco grad scheme and the capital one grad role :/
Reply 18
Op only become a teacher if it's something you truly want to do. As mention before please looking into volunteering given this corona virus thing plenty of organisation are looking for people to volunteer at various levels. Good luck.

It isn’t what I want to do but I am reaching the stage now where I feel like this is the only career which I will be able to get a job in... as I’ve tried and failed for several months now to secure a role in various non teaching fields :/

I am scared I’ll just end up being stuck in this endless cycle of applying for things and getting rejected.

I did actually have a job interview a few days ago for an online job to teach English.i got good feedback but haven’t heard anything back sadly so I am assuming I didn’t get the role...

I’m constantly applying for things. Even today I applied for another audit grad scheme but I am absolutely terrified to complete the online tests based on my past performance
Reply 19
Original post by ajj2000

Very rarely am I sent detailed feedback with percentile scores but when I have I score on the very low end for most things :/

Quick Reply